Decision regarding Boards and Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDDS1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the introduction of manikin exams on the ADEX, when can we expect more information from the CDCA when these will begin? More importantly, when can we expect to hear from state boards regarding these new tests and if they qualify for licensure?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that CDCA is ready to administer this exam. The hold up at this point is your respective state board allowing it to be an accepted form of licensure.

Ya gotta assume states are forced to accept this exam right? I mean how can you have people take the test and states turn a blind eye?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the national D4’s Facebook group:
Dear Senior Class,

We have made progress together in the last month. I look forward to the time when we all have a diploma in one hand and a license in the other and can feel like it’s a time to celebrate. I pray that we can accomplish this goal before interest rates are unpaused and we are left as a nationwide body without the ability to provide in this uncertain environment.

The fight for licensing is now taking place at the state level. In an ideal world, the leadership of every state board in the nation would get on a zoom call and get on the same page with each other to fix this interwoven shared mess. States can find a solution that works for them individually; but if their solution isn’t portable between states, there are going to be a lot of out-of-state graduates who don’t have access to a test in their home state that will prepare them for licensure in another state.

Despite bringing this up on multiple occasions to people in positions of perceived power, I often hear the same messaging: “each state board wants the power to decide licensure themselves, getting them together and to agree is almost impossible.” I wish our state board leadership across the nation could see the problem with this thinking when it comes to this issue. They either don’t see it or no one at the current moment is ready to step up and say “this is the way to fix this once and for all, I got this.”

So, since that option is perceived as “impossible”, our state boards are currently going at it themselves. Some state boards are stacked with conservative traditionalists, “I had to do a live patient exam… the D4 class won’t be able to get jobs anyway right now! They can take a live patient exam when this is over, and they should just chill out in the meantime!” I wish I were exaggerating this stance I have heard on a number of occasions from our future colleagues.

Some states have state boards that are more empathetic to what is happening right now and are at least meeting together urgently to find a solution. Some state boards are waiting for other states to make a move, some have both their feet completely planted in the concrete, and some state boards are daring and not afraid to break from tradition during a worldwide catastrophe.

What we need to do as a nationwide student body is be very aware of what is happening with the decision processes of our state boards (ideally before the decision is actually made and voted on). I would think about the following:

1. Find an avenue in your state where the nationwide senior class voice is being heard. My current avenue as class president is through my dean, who is in contact with my state professional body and leadership of testing bodies. Some states are not fortunate to have a dental school. Do you know who is talking to the board? Should it be you and your classmates enlisting the help of your state professional body? Is your ASDA chapter leadership or trustee on top of it? Do you need to organize a letter signed by classmates, faculty and local dentists?

2. Make sure you know what is being said. If you are trusting other people to be your voice for strategic reasons as to not to overwhelm state boards with too many chefs in the kitchen, I would recommend you know exactly what they are saying and when meetings are taking place. Don’t be shy, this is your livelihood that is on the line. I always address people with a “team” mentality. No one wants to listen to you if they perceive you as the enemy.

3. Find allies: Hopefully your best ones are your professional organizations (ADA, ASDA, state professional body) and administration at your school, check what is being done there first. Maybe influential dentists in the area or a government official with power. Maybe it’s even the media (I’d be very careful with this one though)

4. Know who is on the state board and do a little research on their background… you might learn something interesting as to how they perceive the world based off of their prior positions.

5. Know how your state board works; How are board members chosen? How long are they on the board for? How are decisions made? When are meetings? Are these meetings recorded? Are there minutes?

6. Make a plan with your team: How are you going to present information to the board in a way they will listen to you?

7. Update this group with what is happening: We are in the process of creating an excel spread sheet with progress being made with state boards. Once they are released, make sure your class president keeps them updated. Information of what other states are doing and when they are doing them is going to help a lot right now! Make sure to separate fact from opinion or rumor.

Reliable information sharing and our numbers are our greatest assets and what makes this group so important right now. I hope that we can continue to use the president’s network and this face book page to share important information that we can use wisely to help effect desired change to protect our ability to provide for our families. Class presidents are currently meeting every Wed at 2:00 PM EST (graduation/coda) and Thursday at 2:00 PM EST (licensure).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user