Decision for Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the DO derms and applying students out there I would like to ask for some help. I honestly don't know of anyone else to ask about stuff like this so I decided I would go here for help.

I having a tough time deciding if I really want to "set my sights" and get my self into the derm process. I already know that if I want to go derm I need to gun for the honors on rotations, get publications (which I have none), go to conventions, Do away rotations with DO residencies, do well on step 2, ect. About the only thing I've already got behind me are good Step 1 board scores.

All these many things I need to do great just to have an "OK" shot at getting in. It's just really frustrating and stressful to think about.

Overall here is what's holding me back right now:

I'm a 3rd year and Dermatology is my #1, but I think I could be almost as happy doing something else (although I don't know what yet).

I have a girlfriend (who I plan to marry), all my family, and all her family who want me to stay near Atlanta. And there are no DO derm residencies anywhere near Atlanta.

If I get really determined I think I can do all that I need to be competitive but I'm having some self doubt.

and the biggest factor...

I already know that I want it, but I just dont know if I want it bad enough.

I know that anyone applying to derm must have had these kinds of thoughts before. And I know everyone's situation is different but this is a big decision for me and any advice from those who have experienced this would be extremely helpful.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly believe that you could be almost as happy doing something else other than Derm.. then do that.Yes..you have to want Derm badly enough to do whats really needed to get in and even then it will be very tough.
You cannot allow geographic concerns to get in the way.You have to have an "I'll go anywhere" attitude.Almost any other specialty will be easy compared to Derm.Take an elective ASAP and see how you really feel about it.