Deciding - Smith College or Creighton

luvdogs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never used a forum, but need advice in the college selection process. My daughter's long-term goal is to pursue a career in the medical field. Short-term, she wants to attend a small college where she can take advantage of leadership and community service opportunities. She was admitted to Creighton in Omaha, NE (small Catholic University that is well-known in the Midwest) and visited . .. did not like the location but liked the campus feel -- friendly students, dedicated pre-med faculty, supportive environment -- and was accepted into a leadership program with 60 other freshman. Creighton has several professional schools and gives undergrads a preference. It is strong in the health sciences and offers many options in the medical field. Last week, she was offered admission to Smith in Northampton, MA off the wait list. Smith has decent science program, but I am not sure if it is as supportive as Creighton in terms of pre-med advising. Smith has better living conditions, location, overall reputation and exposure to a more diverse population. However, Creighton is a good choice because it is affiliated with a medical school and has ties with other Jesuit universities that also have medical programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Either of the schools will give her an excellent opportunity.

There's a girl in my class that went to Smith, I personally don't know anyone that went to Creighton, but I don't doubt that they send plenty of people to medical school.

Overall, acceptance to medical school relies more on your individual performance than what your school did for you. I would suggest your daughter go where she feels she will be the happiest and get the most out of her college education.

I interviewed at Creighton's Medical School and really enjoyed the area. Very young. Great campus. There is a medical school, the opportunities to become involved with medicine are numerous. I don't know anything about Smith, but I do have positive impressions of Creighton.

Members don't see this ad :)
Creighton!

Last edited:
Hm, I don't know if this is getting to you too late, but I can tell you that I'm a Smith student (rising Junior) and I feel that the school has adequately prepared me for medical school. Of course, since we're a smaller school, the pre-med population is pretty small as well (and you'll find that it begins to dwindle down in size after the first semester of your first year). However, I feel like most of my pre-med knowledge has come from my own research and pursuit of pre-med faculty advisers. Your daughter has to enter Smith with an awareness of the classes she should take her first year (Chemistry 111 in the fall, along with Calculus and Biology.. Physics in the spring with Organic Chemistry). The Smith pre-med sequence is *slightly* different than that of other schools, esp. in regards to chemistry (I feel that it works out better). They don't hold your hand as they do in other schools, but I think that's a great thing because a lot of my premed friends at other schools follow a cookie-cutter curriculum which is great if you would like your entire life planned for you. I, on the other hand, understand my own method of learning and I can choose which class combinations would benefit me the most. We have much more autonomy and that's something that medical schools look for. If you're concerned about getting into top-tier medical schools, don't be; I personally know three women from last year's graduating class who have all gotten into top medical schools and I've heard about others. We have something like >92% medical school acceptance rate, which is pretty decent.

Another thing about Smith is the possibility to go abroad. I planned my schedule in such a way that I am now able to go to South America this fall and study in a larger university while volunteering for Healthcare for the Homeless. Smith really helps give you the individualized attention that many students strive for in larger schools. I also have a great research project going this summer and I was also set up with a really interesting job at a local hospital just by talking to one of my bio professors.

If she hasn't decided already, I really think she should consider Smith.
I just wanted to thank you for your reply to my wife's request. My daughter will probably be attending Smith this fall. Your insight has been helpful. It appears that you have adjusted your schedule to take advantage of the study abroad program. I wish you well. Jessica's first semester will look like this: Chem.,Calculus, Italian, and Psychology. Second semester: Chem., Biology, Writing Intensive Course, Italian. I don't want to load her up too soon. Do you have any insight on which professors to stay away from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks John. [email protected]

Do you live in Nebraska? If so your daughter should look into the Rural Health Oppertunities Program..

This is probably getting to you late, but really your daughter should choose whichever school she feels more comfortable at. I ran into the same problem, I wanted to go to a small state college or the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I went on campus visits to both colleges and chose the smaller. I was also admitted into a pretty good medical program, but she should choose whichever she is more comfortable.

I have never used a forum, but need advice in the college selection process. My daughter's long-term goal is to pursue a career in the medical field. Short-term, she wants to attend a small college where she can take advantage of leadership and community service opportunities. She was admitted to Creighton in Omaha, NE (small Catholic University that is well-known in the Midwest) and visited . .. did not like the location but liked the campus feel -- friendly students, dedicated pre-med faculty, supportive environment -- and was accepted into a leadership program with 60 other freshman. Creighton has several professional schools and gives undergrads a preference. It is strong in the health sciences and offers many options in the medical field. Last week, she was offered admission to Smith in Northampton, MA off the wait list. Smith has decent science program, but I am not sure if it is as supportive as Creighton in terms of pre-med advising. Smith has better living conditions, location, overall reputation and exposure to a more diverse population. However, Creighton is a good choice because it is affiliated with a medical school and has ties with other Jesuit universities that also have medical programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

One of the partners where I work sent his son to Creighton, and he spoke highly of it. His son went down the artistic path, but still took all the pre-reqs for med school and decided on becoming a Urologist but due to the competition in that field he became an anesthesiologist.... he also said that the faculty is in fact very helpful and definitely keep their students on the right course.

Interesting . . .did your partner's son attend med school at Creighton too?

No, we live in California. Our daughter decided to attend Smith because she felt more comfortable in the town and on the campus.