PhD/PsyD Deciding on offer to Accept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program?

• Wright Institute

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

kc91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight into two Psy. D programs that I was recently offered admissions at (whew!). The two programs are the Wright Institute (Berkeley, CA) and The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (Chicago).

Anything that you think that I should take into account in my decision is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no C) none of the above option. Seriously, neither of these schools has a good reputation, and they are expensive. If I was forced to choose between what are two non-ideal choices, I'd go with Wright. CSPP's reputation is downright atrocious, as compared to the merely "not good" of Wright.

Reactions: 2 users
There's no C) none of the above option. Seriously, neither of these schools has a good reputation, and they are expensive. If I was forced to choose between what are two non-ideal choices, I'd go with Wright. CSPP's reputation is downright atrocious, as compared to the merely "not good" of Wright.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it - can you elaborate on why they don't have a good reputation? Also, what makes the Wright slightly better? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Low APA-accredited internship match rates, lower EPPP pass rates, huge class sizes, sky high tuition that you will struggle to pay back, etc etc. I think CSPP was actually sued a few times in the past about misleading students. Hard to succeed in these types of programs. Wright has better stats than CSPP, but still far away from what I would call adequate.

Reactions: 1 user
Low APA-accredited internship match rates, lower EPPP pass rates, huge class sizes, sky high tuition that you will struggle to pay back, etc etc. I think CSPP was actually sued a few times in the past about misleading students. Hard to succeed in these types of programs. Wright has better stats than CSPP, but still far away from what I would call adequate.
Thank you, this is helpful information!

I have a colleague who is a CSPP grad, although he has been in practice for about 10 years and those programs can change rapidly. He is highly competent at his job, great to work with, and one of the most motivated people I know. He speaks highly of his training. He also makes a crapload of money. Curiously he does about 75% testing which I don't necessarily think is common for PysD grads.

Neither. Both will have you in at least, $100k worth of debt when your starting salary as a postdoc will be 40-50k, and your first job may get you 70k. Also, people are way more likely to take an intern/get a postdoc/hire someone who came from a non-profit school than these for-profit ones cause we know the quality is better.

Honestly, if these are your two only acceptances, it may be best to reapply next year to more reputable schools.

I am an MSPP grad. I got my second choice of internships and my first choice of post docs. I passed the EPPP on the first try. I graduated with just under 50k debt and my starting salary was over 100k

I am an MSPP grad. I got my second choice of internships and my first choice of post docs. I passed the EPPP on the first try. I graduated with just under 50k debt and my starting salary was over 100k
Ok, but think back to your stats courses. Is your n=1 anecdote a good example of the typical graduate from one of these programs or are you an outlier?

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, but think back to your stats courses. Is your n=1 anecdote a good example of the typical graduate from one of these programs or are you an outlier?

I honestly have no idea because I moved out of state to practice and didn't really socialize much with them to begin with. I do know that both of the students who were at my internship site are currently full time licensed psychologists. There were a fair number of individuals in my cohort who seemed more concerned with going out every night than working on their future bit like anything you get what you put in. There's no reason I should be an outlier there was nothing terribly unorthodox about my approach

I honestly have no idea because I moved out of state to practice and didn't really socialize much with them to begin with. I do know that both of the students who were at my internship site are currently full time licensed psychologists. There were a fair number of individuals in my cohort who seemed more concerned with going out every night than working on their future bit like anything you get what you put in. There's no reason I should be an outlier there was nothing terribly unorthodox about my approach
Really? Well, why don't we take a look at the data they are required to publish?
Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College

For the last seven years:
They have massive cohorts, ranging from 79 to 107 students.
They have a fairly high attrition rate, ranging from 4 to 13 students (5% to 13%) per year leaving without a degree.
Their APA-accredited internship match rate ranges from 7% to 45%, with a 27% average match rate.

Based on this quantitative data, it sure seems like you might be a bit of an outlier for MSPP (Now William James College) students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, acronym confusion. MSPP = Minnesota School of Professional Psychology. I don't know what the hell William James College is.

Sorry, acronym confusion. MSPP = Minnesota School of Professional Psychology. I don't know what the hell William James College is.

My bad, I thought you were referring the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, which is now William James College.

Now that we've cleared that up, I'll do the same thing for your MSPP.

Really? Well, why don't we take a look at the data they are required to publish?
Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College

They have massive cohorts, ranging from 79 to 107 students.
They have a fairly high attrition rate, ranging from 4 to 13 students (5% to 13%) per year leaving without a degree.
Their APA-accredited internship match rate ranges from 7% to 45%, with a 27% average match rate.

Based on this quantitative data, it sure seems like you might be a bit of an outlier for MSPP (Now William James College) students.

http://content.edmc.edu/assets/documents/au/psyd/twincities-psyd-outcomes.pdf

-MSPP's cohorts ranged from 17 to 50 people. That's definitely better than William James College, but not exactly encouraging.
-MSPP's attrition rate is nominally similar in absolute terms to William James College, ranging from 2 to 13 students per year leaving without a degree, but it's proportionally worse, ranging from 11% to 37% attrition.
-MSPP's internship match rate is also comparably bad compared to William James College, with MSPP students matching at APA-accredited sites at rates of 17% to 56%, with an average match rate of less than 30%. You also have to take the cohort sizes into account here with the match rate figure. One could argue that having a similar match rate to William James College, but 1/5 to 1/2 their cohort size bodes worse for MSPP. Many of William James College's students may not be able to match simply, because there are so many of them and not enough accredited internship sites. Thus, it may be an issue of quantity over quality for William James College, but one would strain to make a similar excuse for MSPP.

Therefore, I maintain my original position about outliers vs. typical students from these kinds of programs.

Let's compare at costs as well. Yes, William James College is more expensive, being nearly $42,000 for the first year (I don't know how much subsequent years cost and don't care to do anymore investigating), but MSPP is still very expensive at over $37,000 per year. The average William James College graduate successfully completed the program in (median) four to five years. The average MSPP graduate completed the program in (median) six to seven years. This equates to over $150,000 in base tuition alone, before compound interest (depending on the kind of loans acquired, if any) and living expenses.

Hold on...

I understand the need to be parsimonious but let me be the first on this thread to say "Congratulations!" Getting into two APA Accredited programs is awesome! Now, I understand my fellow posters saying that the data requires some careful consideration but it would have to be much worse for me not even consider it...I don't think you are getting very good advice here. Instead, I would look at all of your options, acknowledge that you did something awesome by getting two offers, and consider what your best move is. I can't speak intelligently about the programs except to say if they are accredited, and you can get licensed, than you have a lot to think about!

Hold on...

I understand the need to be parsimonious but let me be the first on this thread to say "Congratulations!" Getting into two APA Accredited programs is awesome! Now, I understand my fellow posters saying that the data requires some careful consideration but it would have to be much worse for me not even consider it...I don't think you are getting very good advice here. Instead, I would look at all of your options, acknowledge that you did something awesome by getting two offers, and consider what your best move is. I can't speak intelligently about the programs except to say if they are accredited, and you can get licensed, than you have a lot to think about!

Speaking from actual experience, as someone who reviews internship and fellowship applications, students from these programs do not do well when they come across our desk. My programs have not offered an interview to any in recent years. That's a lot of debt to consider for programs with not so good reputations. You don't even have to consider the advice of the people on here. You just have to look at the simple numbers (debt load, APA-Accredited match rate, EPP pass rate, licensure rate, etc) to get an idea of what is going on here. It's just math, and the math for these programs sucks.

Im looking at the numbers...I don't see the horror...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 7.12.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 7.12.53 PM.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 160
Im looking at the numbers...I don't see the horror...

Seriously? Anything under 80% is not good, anything under 60 is downright atrocious. The numbers there; 31, 17, 18, 33, 38, 40, 56. Downright laughable. How about the numbers of the tuition costs? Let's look at that relative to expected income.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously? Anything under 80% is not good, anything under 60 is downright atrocious. The numbers there; 31, 17, 18, 33, 38, 40, 56. Downright laughable. How about the numbers of the tuition costs? Let's look at that relative to expected income.
Holy crap, CSPP is almost $50,000 per year! How could anyone possibly think that is at all reasonable for grad school in clinical psych? It's not like psychologists get paid like physicians.

Why are you only looking at APA accredited internships? An APA accredited internship is not required for licensure in many states, including Minnesota which is likely where many MSPP grads plan to practice. Their placement rates overall, combined APPIC and APA sites, among students who didn't withdraw their applications, are 100% each of then last 3 years. Their EPPP pass rates last year were 80% which was 10% higher than St. Thomas and 15% higher than the University of Minnesota. The cost is $37k/year which seems high at first but remember that since it is a PsyD program you are not bound to help faculty with research and will have time to work while you are in the program, and you should be able to make at least half that with a part-time job. It is essentially a "choose your own stipend" program. Once you subtract your salary from that tuition, which you likely wouldn't be able to do a funded PhD program as you are working for the school, the price difference is less dramatic.

Because not having one limits your job opportunities. Take a look at job postings. Most of them require an APA accredited internship. In neuro, good luck getting a job in a decent hospital setting without it. The UM clin psych PhD did not have a reported EPPP number last year due to a low n of people taking it, you must be looking at a different program. Bottom line, it's a low bar, if I'm making a hiring decision, not having passed that low bar makes it an easier decision for me.

The cost is $37k/year which seems high at first but remember that since it is a PsyD program you are not bound to help faculty with research and will have time to work while you are in the program, and you should be able to make at least half that with a part-time job. It is essentially a "choose your own stipend" program. Once you subtract your salary from that tuition, which you likely wouldn't be able to do a funded PhD program as you are working for the school, the price difference is less dramatic.

I guess people can make their own choices about what kind of program to attend, but this is some mental gymnastics. The cost is insane. Suggesting "it's not that bad, just take another full-time job and do 70 hour weeks for all grad school" is bizarre.

Why are you only looking at APA accredited internships? An APA accredited internship is not required for licensure in many states, including Minnesota which is likely where many MSPP grads plan to practice. Their placement rates overall, combined APPIC and APA sites, among students who didn't withdraw their applications, are 100% each of then last 3 years.

Because that's what really matters? Because not having an APA accredited internship forever walls off many avenues of employment, e.g. VAs, AMCs, etc.? Because that's the minimal bar of training quality that all of the actually good programs can pass reasonably well, if not attaining a consistently near 100% match rate?

Because your reasoning is a (further) misuse of statistics to deflect criticism from the poor quality of training offered by MSPP?

Their EPPP pass rates last year were 80% which was 10% higher than St. Thomas and 15% higher than the University of Minnesota.

I'm not sure where you are getting this data, especially as the ASPPB didn't report the stats for UM in 2016, because too few students took the EPPP.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/EPPP_/2012_ASPPB_Exam_Scores_by_Do.pdf
If we look for other years, for example this table from 2012, your claim doesn't appear to be true. UM's pass rate was 91.67% and MSPP's was 69.15% in 2012. If these professional schools are so much more focused on clinical training, especially to the degree that it becomes their selling point for applicants, why does a clinical science program like UM's have a significantly higher pass rate?

The cost is $37k/year which seems high at first but remember that since it is a PsyD program you are not bound to help faculty with research and will have time to work while you are in the program, and you should be able to make at least half that with a part-time job. It is essentially a "choose your own stipend" program. Once you subtract your salary from that tuition, which you likely wouldn't be able to do a funded PhD program as you are working for the school, the price difference is less dramatic.
A. This is more FSPS propaganda about how their students have more "freedom" by not being funded. It kind of reminds me about that whole "freedom to be without health insurance" thing.

B. The "bound" work required of funded programs not only provides tuition remission, stipend, and health insurance (or at least a subsidy), it's also builds resumes and makes applicants more competitive for internships, post docs, and post-graduation employment.

C. Do you really think that working outside of the program doesn't detract from training quality and commitments? Do you think it's reasonable to work an outside job while doing the full-time job of a doctoral program in clinical psych?

D. You're not factoring in living expenses. The amount you'd make with the time available would likely be barely enough to live off of, let alone make a dent in your tuition and fees.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess people can make their own choices about what kind of program to attend, but this is some mental gymnastics. The cost is insane. Suggesting "it's not that bad, just take another full-time job and do 70 hour weeks for all grad school" is bizarre.

That would be insane and also isn't what I said since the post you quoted and responded to clearly says "part-time." If you go to a funded PhD program you work for the school, that's why they provide you with a stipend. It is stupid to compare the full cost of a PsyD program in which you do not work for the school to a PhD program, minus your stipend from your job working for the school. Those are not equivalent numbers. A PsyD program is still almost always going to be more expensive in the long run, but if you take the time you would be working for your stipend and apply those hours to a job the gap is not as great as people like to claim.

Because that's what really matters? Because not having an APA accredited internship forever walls off many avenues of employment, e.g. VAs, AMCs, etc.? Because that's the minimal bar of training quality that all of the actually good programs can pass reasonably well, if not attaining a consistently near 100% match rate?

B. The "bound" work required of funded programs not only provides tuition remission, stipend, and health insurance (or at least a subsidy), it's also builds resumes and makes applicants more competitive for internships, post docs, and post-graduation employment.

C. Do you really think that working outside of the program doesn't detract from training quality and commitments? Do you think it's reasonable to work an outside job while doing the full-time job of a doctoral program in clinical psych?

D. You're not factoring in living expenses. The amount you'd make with the time available would likely be barely enough to live off of, let alone make a dent in your tuition and fees.

Not everyone cares about working at such sites. For someone who wants to work and live in a state that doesn't require an APA accredited internship for licensure and doesn't want to work in one of these settings there is no functional difference.

The work you do outside of the program during your education is also capable of building your resume and making you more competitive for all of the opportunities you mentioned. I was assuming this work would be relevant to one's career and not some random ass retail job or something. In fact, my part-time job I worked for the first 2 years of my PsyD program provided me with experiences that I was explicitly told were a huge selling point for my current career.

Why would having a job relevant to the career that you want to pursue outside of the program detract from your training quality any more than being a researcher for the school would? I would actually argue the inverse since you can seek out experiences that are specific and relevant to your career path as opposed to working for the university which may or may not have anything to do with your long-term career goals.

Do students at funded programs not also have living expenses? I'm not arguing that you won't still need to take out student loans. I am arguing that comparing the tuition of a funded program and subtracting the stipend you earn by working from the net cost to the full cost of an unfunded PsyD program is a stupid, apples to oranges comparison because you are working in one scenario and not in another.

Regardless of what consensus we do or don't come to on these programs, as far as I can tell they are the only programs the OP was offered admission to, so once again comparing these programs to funded PhD programs is utterly irrelevant if the OP has not actually been offered admission to such programs.

Do students at funded programs not also have living expenses? I'm not arguing that you won't still need to take out student loans. I am arguing that comparing the tuition of a funded program and subtracting the stipend you earn by working from the net cost to the full cost of an unfunded PsyD program is a stupid, apples to oranges comparison because you are working in one scenario and not in another.

Yes, you are technically working, but it's a pretty good paying "job" based in full tuition remission, health insurance, 16-20k stipend, and university student benefits in most cases. Pretty hard to find a part-time job that pays what the hourly works out too. And, better future job options, higher starting salaries to boot.

Yes, you are technically working, but it's a pretty good paying "job" based in full tuition remission, health insurance, 16-20k stipend, and university student benefits in most cases. Pretty hard to find a part-time job that pays what the hourly works out too. And, better future job options, higher starting salaries to boot.

Yes I understand that. My point is not that you can get the net cost of a PsyD program down to the same as what a funded PhD program will cost, in fact I explicitly stated I don't believe that would be feasible. My point is that it is not an accurate cost comparison to look at the net cost of a funded PhD program, after subtracting your stipend for working, to the net cost of a PsyD program in the which the assumption is that you apparently are unemployed for the entire 4ish years you attend the program.

Yes I understand that. My point is not that you can get the net cost of a PsyD program down to the same as what a funded PhD program will cost, in fact I explicitly stated I don't believe that would be feasible. My point is that it is not an accurate cost comparison to look at the net cost of a funded PhD program, after subtracting your stipend for working, to the net cost of a PsyD program in the which the assumption is that you apparently are unemployed for the entire 4ish years you attend the program.

Maybe, but I believe that the point people were trying to make is that grad school is generally a full-time job. Anything less than that is subpar training most likely.

I can't really understand this. It actually seems like you're saying, "this comparison doesn't work because the numbers don't come out the way I want them to."

Of course you can compare it, and it is accurate to say that funded programs cost less.

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

Maybe, but I believe that the point people were trying to make is that grad school is generally a full-time job. Anything less than that is subpar training most likely.

So do students in funded PhD programs have reduced workloads in other areas of their training? If not this remains a comparison between two different workloads and two different financial situations

So do students in funded PhD programs have reduced workloads in other areas of their training? If not this remains a comparison between two different workloads and two different financial situations

No, they generally work 60+ hour weeks. I agree that it is a comparison about two different workloads. And most likely in varying quality of training according to available metrics.

No, they generally work 60+ hour weeks. I agree that it is a comparison about two different workloads. And most likely in varying quality of training according to available metrics.

Two different workloads and two different financial/occupational situations. If you owe the full amount of your PsyD tuition upon graduation you were unemployed for 4 years. And the workload of a PsyD student at an unfunded program who does not have external employment is not even close to 60 hours a week. I would say it's maybe half that.

Quality of training is really debatable and I don't think metrics tell the full story. Comparing an N of 4 or so to an N of 30 is a difficult comparison. Funded PhD programs typically have stiffer admission requirements, therefore even when their outcome data appears better it is difficult to attribute that to the quality of the program. I would say it probably has just as much to do with pre-existing student variables

Same world, clinical psychology. Different outcomes in terms of debt load, salary, and job opportunities.

Agree with different outcomes in debt, although again my fundamental point here is that the difference is being artificially inflated by inaccurate comparisons. Disagree on salary and for the most part job opportunity, with a few exceptions that not all potential psychologists care about.

Do you actually have data to support a difference in salary between grads of funded vs unfunded doctoral programs?

Quality of training is really debatable and I don't think metrics tell the full story. Comparing an N of 4 or so to an N of 30 is a difficult comparison. Funded PhD programs typically have stiffer admission requirements, therefore even when their outcome data appears better it is difficult to attribute that to the quality of the program. I would say it probably has just as much to do with pre-existing student variables

Good thing we can compare those numbers over a length of time through things like the APPIC data and see the trends over time. And yes, pre-existing student variables is also a factor, one that no one disputes.

Agree with different outcomes in debt, although again my fundamental point here is that the difference is being artificially inflated by inaccurate comparisons. Disagree on salary and for the most part job opportunity, with a few exceptions that not all potential psychologists care about.

Do you actually have data to support a different in salary between grads of funded vs unfunded doctoral programs?

The APA salary survey has some data that they would like to show you.

The APA salary survey has some data that they would like to show you.

I will check those out, but again, all of this data is irrelevant to someone who hasn't actually been offered a funded position at a PhD program. These types of threads pop up regularly and invariably the same few posters telling the person all the reasons their program is terrible compared to a funded PhD program, with no regard whatsoever for whether that is actually an option for said individual. It is completely unhelpful.

This data is very relevant to the OP, as they are not forced to choose between those two options. It is relevant because they should be fully informed about the outcomes of said programs when making a decision. We've had posters in similar predicaments tell us how helpful the data has been in the past. There is always another option.

So what would you do if these were the only two programs who offered you admission? Because a lot of people are saying "don't attend either one" and if they are indeed the only two schools who have offered the OP placement you are essentially telling that person to give up on their current career path and not become a psychologist. I question how many of you would actually go that route if you were in this position.

Exactly what I was getting at. The quality of training at these kinds of schools, including Wright Institute, CSPP, and MSPP, is clearly inferior by all available metrics and all that @CWard12213 and their other defenders can do is deflect with worthless arguments about the "freedom" of not being funded or not caring about APA accredited internship, because it's not necessary for a few, very narrow avenues of employment.

Same world, clinical psychology. Different outcomes in terms of debt load, salary, and job opportunities.
And this is something that @CWard12213 is tacitly admitting to. They keep touting the overall match rate including non-APA internship sites, because the types of places these students want to work don't require APA-accredited internships. The problem is that those types of employment (e.g. private practice therapy) are generally equating to lower earnings and thereby negatively skewing average compensation for psychologists. Why would someone who owns and operates private practice pay you above a mid-level practitioner if they know you don't have many other options, because you didn't get an APA-accredited internship? Why would you get offers for forensic work opportunities over all the people with APA-accredited internships?

Except that is directly a result of the quality of the program. Funded programs have better quality control and choose students that have proven track records of success (e.g. GPA + GRE, research experience, publications, posters, clinical experience, etc.), rather than just anyone who has a heartbeat, meets the most minimal standards, and will get them the money required to pay tuition. Again, this goes back to my first question to you about whether your personal story is typical of a graduate from an FSPS (or at least your program in particular) or if you are an outlier. No one is saying that no successful psychologists have ever come out of FSPS programs or other unfunded clinical programs. Our general point is that they are the exceptions and that they are succeeding in spite of, not because of, the training they received at their grad programs, and the data bears this out.

I will check those out, but again, all of this data is irrelevant to someone who hasn't actually been offered a funded position at a PhD program. These types of threads pop up regularly and invariably the same few posters telling the person all the reasons their program is terrible compared to a funded PhD program, with no regard whatsoever for whether that is actually an option for said individual. It is completely unhelpful.

The data is most definitely relevant. Instead of looking at these programs in isolation and making a decision between two bad choices, applicants can see what good programs actually look like and what they offer to their students. They can see how poor these choices in unfunded programs are, especially those at FSPS. Without knowing what else is out there, they might have misconceptions that these are normal, typical, or acceptable programs and there is nothing wrong with attending them. It's analogous to showing students the difference between University of Phoenix and any other quality undergrad, both in terms of education and cost.

So what would you do if these were the only two programs who offered you admission? Because a lot of people are saying "don't attend either one" and if they are indeed the only two schools who have offered the OP placement you are essentially telling that person to give up on their current career path and not become a psychologist. I question how many of you would actually go that route if you were in this position.
That's a false choice. No one is telling them to give up on being a psychologist. People here are telling OP and other applicants to reapply to good, funded programs in a year or two, when they have had a bit of time to improve their application packages.

I would strongly recommend taking a year or two to strengthen their app and re-apply to fully funded programs. If I could do it all over again, that is what I should have done, even as a non-trad student. Debt stinks, but a lot of debt can be financially crippling; I came out somewhere in the middle.

I attended a mediocre uni-based PsyD with partial funding and the debt accrued (with much lower tuition and much lower interest bc it was 10+ yrs ago). Living expenses, travel to internship interviews, compound interest, and life all added up.

I cringe at the tuition numbers being thrown around now...easily 50-100% of what I paid and with a higher interest rate for borrowed $. I paid off most of my undergrad loans and only borrowed for part of my education too. Places with $150k in tuition only blows my mind. I've seen top executive MBA programs in that range, and their students are starting at $250k+/yr.

I make 6 figures so my debt is doable, but I'd be drowning if I could only make $50k-$60k/yr like many who can't compete for higher paying jobs bc of their program/internship/lack of fellowship training. Some defy the odds, but they are the exception within a field that pays poorly compared to years invested (school and in job years).

I did everything "right", worked my butt off, and it was still a grind. It's a grind regardless, as it's a fallacy to think that others aren't working just as hard and you can just work....more.

If I didn't make a successful transition at each critical point (internship, fellowship, 1st job, etc) I would be in a much less comfortable position. I wish I could have my student loan payment to dump into my retirement or to put towards a rental home, but I chose to pay a high cost for my education. I'm not posting from an ivory tower, I'm posting as someone who made it all work...and I'm *still* warning ppl to avoid taking on significant debt.

Reactions: 4 users
Waiting a year or two is a pretty huge deal too that has some heavy cons, I still don't think it's near as easy a choice as it's being made out to be. First, there's no guarantee you get in and you are rejecting offers that you may not receive again. Second, you are delaying your earnings by a year or two which is no small consideration in a field that sees you not making any real money until your late twenties or even early thirties. If we assume an average annual salary of 80k, waiting 2 years will functionally cost you 160k which pretty much wipes out the advantage of a funded program. Third, you are likely delaying other elements of your life by a year or two as well, such as having children.

Are you really trying to make the case of a year of lost income vs 6 figures of debt and it's accompanying interest?

2 years of lost income for a psychologist is also a 6 figure number. So yes.