Deciding if Pre-Vet is right for me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catch91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards and I need some advice from people who have been where I am!

This may sound so old and cliche, but how do I know if Veterinary school is right for me? I really love animals, and always have. I love making them feel better when they're sick and taking care of them. I own and have ridden horses since I was young and know a lot about taking care of them. Along with that, I've had many pets.

I'm a highschool senior and I can't decide if this is the right career path for me. I really struggle with math and science, although I know I have to get through a lot of it if this is something I'm committed to. Are there any of you who really disliked these fields and struggled through them? I know they are required in Pre-Vet, but I feel like if I work hard I could get through them. I'm someone who is easily stressed, although I expect long and difficult hours with this. And I am sort of squeemish, and I realize that part of being a veterinarian is obviously surgical. Will I get over this? I had a hard time dissecting a rat last year in biology. Although, I think that was more the smell than the sight.

My GPA is around a 3.3, but I have the rest of the year to get it up. I want to go to Ohio State.

Please help me out here. I know that you don't know me, but I need some sound advice. Are there any of you who felt this way before entering? I'm so indecisive and I don't know if I will be able to handle this, or even make it through without failing.

HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, at least you've recognized that you're unsure and you know academically it's tough. Some high school kids think it's all about puppies and kittens all day. You're 17-18?? Squeemish about cutting up a rat?? I was too way back when. I got through the math and to be honest the math requirements aren't that bad. It's the chemistry that makes a lot of people switch out of being a science major. You'll have to take 5 semesters of chemistry (minimum).

Where you go to undergrad in the long run really doens't make that big of a difference. I reccomend you work with a vet now that way you can see both sides. If you absolutely hate working for a vet, then you'll know if you're in the wrong field. There's nothing like real experience! Good luck!

It's great that you love animals and helping them, but you have to decide if you love medicine as well. My best advice is to get a job with a vet (or volunteer) and after a year or more, then decide. You don't have to choose RIGHT NOW if you want to be a vet. It's going to take 4 years of undergrad before you can go to vet school (for the most part). So get some experience and then see if you are still interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to take 5 semesters of chemistry (minimum).

Acutally I believe this is incorrect for OSU. :) I'm fairly certain they only require 4 semesters....2 general chemistry, 1 organic, and biochem. I remember asking my advisor about this when I told him I didn't want to take organic 2 because I didn't need it to apply to OSU, but I did need it if I wanted to apply to UGA, which I did.

Still, it is a lot of chem, and I HATED gen chem....the 1st semester of organic was okay, the second semester is pretty bad. I used to pass out at the sight of blood and I couldn't stand needles, but I am now able to watch just about anything; I think it was just a mind over matter thing for me.

On a plus side your not in too bad a position for being undecided. Go to a college that has lots of options for you so if you change your mind switching majors would be an easy transition.

Also dive into the core prereq's right from the beginning. Start with your bio's and inorganic chems. At the end of your freshman year see how you still feel about it all. The sciences will only get harder from their on out, but if you don't feel its right for you, you can change you mind and still be able to graduate on time. Then you can start off sophmore year with organic chem which is one of biggest "make or break" courses you will take.

Thanks for all your advice, guys.

philomycus - You made me feel a lot better! So you think it's normal to feel grossed out like that? I was hoping it would be something I would get used to as I progressed through school, and soon it wouldn't be a problem. Obviously, being a veterinarian, I would have to deal with that sort of thing. Although depending on what field of medicine I choose... it wouldn't be as bad. (for example: emergency vets vs. every-day check ups, shots, etc.) About all the chemistry... I think that's the most daunting part about the whole thing. I'm not a great science student. I know that's a huge part of pre-vet, but I feel like once you get to actual vet school, its a lot more about the actual practice. So I keep trying to convince myself that if I can get through the pre-vet years without failing, I'll be set. Is this fairly accurate?

sofficat - Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I know I'm still undecided and the more I learn about it and the more experience I get, the better off I'll be to make a decision. How do I go about gaining experience working with veterinarians? Would it be appropriate to ask my pets' veterinarian if I could do some shadowing?

JerseyisCutest - Is that true about OSU? Thanks for clarifying. You hated Chemistry? See thats sort of how I am. I feel like, "Why am I thinking I can be a veterinarian when I hate science and math?". Is this wrong to feel? I mean, do you have to be into science and math to be a vet? Or just be able to get through the pre-vet academics, whether happy or not, and move on to the practice and veterinary work (which, I'm assuming, isn't exactly like reading out of a science book :p)? Also, I can't believe that about you with the blood thing! See, this is why I worry about being squeemish. But you got over it and now you're fine? I hope I will.

david594 - Thank you for the tips! I would describe myself as an average or slightly above student.. Do you think the average person, with hard work, can get through the classes required?

Thanks guys. Keep coming with any replies or advice you can. I'm really indecisive about this. Then I also feel like I second-guess myself like, "If I'm not 100% passionate about this, that I would do it no matter what, then should I really be doing it?"

So undecided.

Thanks guys. Keep coming with any replies or advice you can. I'm really indecisive about this. Then I also feel like I second-guess myself like, "If I'm not 100% passionate about this, that I would do it no matter what, then should I really be doing it?"

So undecided.

I think that you are making a very mature approach to considering your future. I can't tell you how many pre-vets that I have met think it is all about playing with puppies and kitties all day, sure a little of it is when you have new pets come in :laugh: but not all of it.

Another way to think of this is: you never know when your passion will find you. Explore veterinary medicine, there is a lot involved besides clinical medicine: research, wildlife, behavior, rehabilitation, etc. Along the way you may discover something that you love even more, or you may find that vet med is right for you. Just keep an open mind, get into good study habits right now, and have some fun with it. There are plenty of people here who have gone into other careers first and have gone back to become vets. Its not over until you are cold and dead, so don't pressure yourself too hard about it now, you have plenty of time to figure it out.

Good :luck:

In order to be a vet you really do have to like science, maybe not the math aspect so much, but definitely science.

As for OSU's requirements: we are on a quarter system and require 3 quarters gen chem, 2 quarters OChem, 1 quarter biochem.

I agree with ri23. Many colleges require a lot of chemistry to get into vet school, but that is not necessarily what vet school is about. On the other hand, it IS highly science based. The first 1.5-2 years of vet school is rigorous science based, and the more science you take in undergrad the more prepared you are for vet school. The "practice" part comes after the hard core book learning in the beginning. Not to sound so harsh, but you do have to have a propensity for science to do well in vet school, in my opinion.

asking your current vet to shadow is a great way of getting your foot in the door! i was lucky enough that my aunt's vet hired me when i was 17 to work in the kennel. i kept vet jobs all throughout college and it definitely confirmed my desire to be a vet (plus it helped me get into vet school!). you can start shadowing, but also try to find a job. many vets are willing to take on youngsters with little experience. mainly so they can pay you next to nothing but still have their floors clean :oops:)
about not liking science... i think most of the science you are exposed to in high school doens't scratch the surface of how cool science really is. at least that is how i feel. there is so much awesome science out there that it blows my mind! give it time, you may come to adore science :love:

The experience working or volunteering with a vet should help the squeamishness - I got really grossed out at first but with repetition got used to it and have now come to think that it's interesting :oops:

Oh, and ditto what many others have said about science. To practice medicine (veterinary or otherwise), you gotta love science or else you'll either a) not get into vet school, b) not get through vet school, or c) hate your job. It's a huge part of the career.

I would never want you to decide against pursuing veterinary medicine based on you “love for science and math” or lack there of right now. I agree with sofficat about science in high school being dull in comparison to many college science courses. I hated science in high school. Now, I am about to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Biology and I am currently applying to vet school. For the most part, (not including Organic chem.) I loved my college science courses.

I would also consider myself an “above average” but not necessarily a “stellar” student. I think that it’s just as much about hard work, dedication, and drive as it is about actual brainpower. If you think vet med is what you want- Go for it!

Thanks for all your advice, guys.

philomycus - You made me feel a lot better! So you think it's normal to feel grossed out like that? I was hoping it would be something I would get used to as I progressed through school, and soon it wouldn't be a problem. Obviously, being a veterinarian, I would have to deal with that sort of thing. Although depending on what field of medicine I choose... it wouldn't be as bad. (for example: emergency vets vs. every-day check ups, shots, etc.) About all the chemistry... I think that's the most daunting part about the whole thing. I'm not a great science student. I know that's a huge part of pre-vet, but I feel like once you get to actual vet school, its a lot more about the actual practice. So I keep trying to convince myself that if I can get through the pre-vet years without failing, I'll be set. Is this fairly accurate?

sofficat - Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I know I'm still undecided and the more I learn about it and the more experience I get, the better off I'll be to make a decision. How do I go about gaining experience working with veterinarians? Would it be appropriate to ask my pets' veterinarian if I could do some shadowing?

JerseyisCutest - Is that true about OSU? Thanks for clarifying. You hated Chemistry? See thats sort of how I am. I feel like, "Why am I thinking I can be a veterinarian when I hate science and math?". Is this wrong to feel? I mean, do you have to be into science and math to be a vet? Or just be able to get through the pre-vet academics, whether happy or not, and move on to the practice and veterinary work (which, I'm assuming, isn't exactly like reading out of a science book :p)? Also, I can't believe that about you with the blood thing! See, this is why I worry about being squeemish. But you got over it and now you're fine? I hope I will.

david594 - Thank you for the tips! I would describe myself as an average or slightly above student.. Do you think the average person, with hard work, can get through the classes required?

So undecided.

I know OSU goes by quarters, but my undergrad goes by semesters, as I think a lot (most?) of colleges do, or at least those in WV, and it figures out to 2 semesters of inorganic or general chem, 1 semester organic and 1 semester biochem. I don't think the lab is required for organic but I took it for UGA's requirements. I'm not joking when I say that I literally wanted to cry throughout both general chems. I HATED them both with a passion, but life goes on and I gritted my teeth and got through it. I wouldn't say that I'm a genius or a super intelligent person or anything, I think I might just be a little above average student but I'm willing to work to get what I want. As much as I don't really like chemistry, I do like biology and I like learning about the body.
I had no clue what I wanted to do when I first started college, I really really liked animals but I didn't want to go to school for 8 more years because it was just overwhelming. But college is different from high school and it somehow had a way of making me hate school a little less. So I just went through college not really knowing what I wanted to do and just focusing on getting my bachelor's. I am now on my senior year and it seems like the past 3.5 years have just flown by. I am now looking at 4 more years of school as do-able, whereas before it just overwhelmed me. It really helps to just take it a little at a time and not focus on "well I'm done with 1 year, 7 more (or more) to go!". There are so many things to do and so many ways to have fun in college, it goes by fast. And I wouldn't say I'm a person who necessarily likes school, but I know what I have to do to be where I want to be.
And yes, up until about freshman/sophomore year of college, I used to pass out COLD when I saw blood or needles. I also used to pass out at routine eye exams and dentist apps. I still don't like needles coming near my body, but I'm okay with using them on animals. Nothing makes me sick anymore, I just told myself I was done being a baby and letting myself get sick and I gritted my teeth and fought through it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
About all the chemistry... I think that's the most daunting part about the whole thing. I'm not a great science student. I know that's a huge part of pre-vet, but I feel like once you get to actual vet school, its a lot more about the actual practice. So I keep trying to convince myself that if I can get through the pre-vet years without failing, I'll be set. Is this fairly accurate?
The science, including chemistry, doesn't really stop after pre-vet. Science is the foundation of the profession. That said, before I started vet school, I never considered myself much of a science person (I was more into the humanities). I was drawn to veterinary medicine because of the logic and problem solving involved. Over time, I grew to like the science aspect of it. Take a wide variety of classes in college and get some experience in different animal-related fields and see how you feel. You might find that veterinary medicine is the only thing you can imagine doing, or you may find something else that captures your interest.

You guys have all been really helpful.

I'm starting to feel like maybe science will grow on me. It's not that I dislike science, so much as I dislike having to struggle at it. It doesn't come easy to me, but I do think biology and anatomy is interesting. The chemistry is what's killer.

JerseyisCutest - So, you hated Chemistry (and still do?) but you still love the school and are 100% committed to becoming a vet? I'm still feeling like all vets love science and have since they were in grade school.

With my experience, it seems like veterinarians absolutely adore their jobs and what they do. I'm wondering if they all knew what they wanted to do since they were young, and if they were the "4.0 super-smart AP science and math kids" or if they were your normal person, sort of like me.

What about you guys? Do you fit that description?

Catch, you also have to consider that taking science in college is VERY different from taking sciences in high school. I was never strong in physcis and chemistry and liked biology a lot. I had a few professors who were incredible that were excellent teachers and it really turned me on to other topics. I really don't want to open a huge can of worms here, but I do think the larger universities may not provide the best instruction to the freshmen/sophomore classes. Most of them are their to get research $$ into the school. Sometimes going to a smaller college is you feel you are a weaker student may be better for you. My undergrad instituion had ~ 8,000 students and I felt like I recieved an excellent education that made me successful in a graduate program at a huge school (40,000+).

And dissecting preserved specimens is not quite like the real thing. The smell of the preservatives may be what's turning you off. I really think you won't answer you question about this being the right field until you.

1. start taking some college level scince classes next year
2. work for a vet

But you are asking the right questions now. You questioning yourself so much now really does put you way ahead of others that may not know exactly what they are getting into. At least you are humbeled going in to it.

You guys have all been really helpful.

I'm starting to feel like maybe science will grow on me. It's not that I dislike science, so much as I dislike having to struggle at it. It doesn't come easy to me, but I do think biology and anatomy is interesting. The chemistry is what's killer.

JerseyisCutest - So, you hated Chemistry (and still do?) but you still love the school and are 100% committed to becoming a vet? I'm still feeling like all vets love science and have since they were in grade school.

With my experience, it seems like veterinarians absolutely adore their jobs and what they do. I'm wondering if they all knew what they wanted to do since they were young, and if they were the "4.0 super-smart AP science and math kids" or if they were your normal person, sort of like me.

What about you guys? Do you fit that description?

I wasn't that strong in chemistry or physics either :oops:

That said, I just realized that if I wanted to get into vet school, I just had to fight through them, and that's what I did. I got a couple of A's and a few B's in those classes, and I'm okay with the B's. They didn't hurt my GPA that bad because I made darn sure I got A's in the easier classes.

I also attended a large university (Mountaineer football anyone? :) )with about 27,000 students, and a lot of my classes freshman/sohpomore year were big at about 250-300 students. It can be hard to get one-on-one help in a situation like that, but I never had a problem not getting to talk to the professors during their office hours. We also have all sorts of free tutoring here.

I still dislike chemistry pretty bad......although organic is sort of interesting to me. But I cna't say I remember much of anything from gen chem and it was only 3 years ago, I just hated it so much.

I was actually just talking to one of the vets I work with the other night about organic chem. He said he was an average student and struggled throughout all the chemistrys......yet, he still made it. If you want something bad enough, then you should be willing to work hard to get it.

I'm wondering if they all knew what they wanted to do since they were young,

haha.......that made me laugh a little.......I didn't decide I wanted to go to vet school until about a year ago now.....halfway through my junior year of undergrad, because of the whole passing out/getting sick thing. I was already an animal sci major though so that helped.

Thanks for all the replies! You have no idea how much this has helped.

I'm going to do what I can about seeing if I can do some work for my vet, or other locals in our area. What sort of jobs might they have me do?

I'm feeling a lot more confident about the science thing. I'm realizing that very few people are passionate about and very talented at science, yet many go on to be great veterinarians. If I work really hard and grit my teeth through it, I think I can make it.

All you veterinarians, how much do you actually use the background pre-vet knowledge of chemistry/physics, etc. in your actual practice of medicine day to day?

Thanks for all the replies! You have no idea how much this has helped.

I'm going to do what I can about seeing if I can do some work for my vet, or other locals in our area. What sort of jobs might they have me do?

I'm feeling a lot more confident about the science thing. I'm realizing that very few people are passionate about and very talented at science, yet many go on to be great veterinarians. If I work really hard and grit my teeth through it, I think I can make it.

All you veterinarians, how much do you actually use the background pre-vet knowledge of chemistry/physics, etc. in your actual practice of medicine day to day?

lots of times they will have you start out doing basic tasks like cleaning cages and just observing what's going on. eventually you move onto holding animals for blood draws, getting medicine ready and doing receptionist sort or jobs. if you and the vet get along then you might get trained for more tech sort of jobs - learning how to draw blood, monitor anesthesia, etc. this was the progression i have seen, but others might have different experiences.

also, remember that you don't have to be a vet to work in a vet's office. techs do a ton of work and still have a large amount of animal contact - many times more than the vet!

I agree with most of the advice given here. Veterinary medicine is pretty heavy in the sciences. In physiology today, we did manage to delve into biochem (much to everyone's chagrin). But I wasn't all that interested in science in high school, and I don't think my science classes were particularly well-taught, so I ended up doing social science in undergrad. But working at a vet's office and taking some post-bacc science classes changed my mind. Now I love it. So don't necessarily use high school as an indicator. Go to college, take your basic intros, get a job in a kennel (and see if they'll let you watch surgeries or go in appointments after you've finished your job), and keep an open mind. Just watch out for that adjustment to college studying...it can be tough for a lot of people. There are a lot higher expectations and the more you get into good study habits now, the farther ahead of the game you'll be. Good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

I'm realizing that very few people are passionate about and very talented at science

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd focus more on what people have said about there being some really neat science out there, perhaps even beyond what one can/does learn in the classroom, which is often limited by the skill and/or excitement of your instructor. But science is very important to vet med. You just may not have been turned on to the cool stuff of science yet. But that being said, if you don't develop a love of at least some aspect of science, I think it would be very hard to travel this road.

In recent years (perhaps even longer than I'm aware of) there's been the realization that there aren't enough vet med researchers/scientists, so I've heard there is a big push to encourage DVMs towards those types of fields. (And possibly even into dual degree DVM-PhD programs.) Vet med is science because medicine is science.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that many people here are saying that science in college is bound to be better. I have to say that that is not necessarily the case. I had exceptional teachers in high school and found that a staggering number of my sci professors in college didn't care at all about their students (large university, huge intro science classes, heavy research focus). So it's important to look at what the learning environment will be in college. Some schools will be better at fueling your love of a subject than others, and I agree with whomever said that there is a lot to be gotten from a smaller school where your profs at least have the chance to get to know you and care about you.

It took me a while to figure out vet med was for me. Originally, I was going into law and found I hated it. Then one of my animals got really sick, I ended up taking care of her, and the rest was history. So don't worry if you don't know what you want to do. I think many of us didn't always know either.

Now to help find out if vet med is for you...

1. Work in a clinic. Shadow at a clinic. Whatever. Just spend lots, and lots, and lots of time at a clinic. Make sure you see all the tough things (surgery, euthanasia, rude clients, emergencies, abuse and neglect, getting scratched, bit, and crapped on). See all the good things (puppies, kittens, animals getting better, surgery, getting them through a critical situation, comforting an owner, etc).

While helping at the humane society might be fun, I find that volunteers there don't get a vet med experience. At least not where I'm at -- here it's just dog walking. I highly suggest getting into a clinic of some sort.

2. Consider all forms of vet med (large/small animal, research, wildlife, rehab, and many, many more.

3. Take some 'hard' sciences and show yourself you can do it. I hate physics and gen chem with a passion. But you just have to punch through it. Take as much science in high school as possible to get you ready for college.

(And while I'm not in love with science, I'm frequently in awe of it. I don't mind studying it, it's actually pretty cool. Except physics.)

when you start at a clinic with no experience, you end up doing a lot of grunt work, which i find to be very useful... really. you learn how to read animals (and catch them) while you are 'stuck' cleaning cages and piles of poop. you learn the lingo of vet med if you listen to what is going on around you. if you have awesome vets that don't mind constant questions you really learn a lot of stuff. plus, you get to experience it from the bottom, so when you get to the top you know how to treat the newbies in the field. i've worked with quite a few vets and have learned a lot about how to treat the kennel people and the folks on the lowest ring of the ladder (both neg and positive!). it's a really great experience. enjoy it and good luck!

Thanks guys. My kitten actually has his appointment to get neutered (HA!) on Dec. 3rd, so I can maybe talk to someone about it when I take him for that.

I'm not sure if they'll allow me to just work there with no experience, but it's worth asking. Should I talk to the receptionists at the front desk, or ask to speak with either of the actual veterinarians about it?

And it's not that I hate science altogether. I'm finding it easy to relate to what a lot of you are saying about your feelings towards it, so I feel more confident that I'm okay. I'm really into genetics and anatomy, and I think biology is very interesting. For me, it's just going to be chemistry and physics that I'll moan about, which sounds the same for a lot of you. I'm sure every person who goes on to be a vet had some classes they couldn't stand.

Also, this is sort of unrelated to the point of this thread, but really, how hard is undergrad (if you're majoring in pre-vet, biology, etc.) and vet-school? I'm reading a lot of other threads and getting a little freaked out! I recognize that it's difficult, but unbearably so?

I would ask to speak with the practice owner or manager (aka ofice manager at some practices) in order to get hired. Usually the receptionist has little control over hirings.

I've been working as a vet assistant for a little over a year and a half now. When I decided I wanted to pursue a job in vet medicine, I had absolutely zero knowledge on the subject, no experience, and had only had one cat ever in my life. When I moved to WI, my SO and I drove around and I applied to only a few close clinics. The first place I went to seemed like a smaller clinic and my application was positively awful. The boss called me a few days later. I'm sure the only reason I got the job was that I mentioned I was starting at the local college and would be studying pre-vet.

</life story>

Don't worry about having no experience! I've found that a lot of vets are pretty open to helping out those that they know are interested in the field, even if it's just job shadowing.

I definitely agree with Pressmom about talking to one of the vets if you can. Keep in mind that even if you can't get hired, volunteering and shadowing are great ways to get experience and can lead to paying jobs. In some cases, small hospitals are better to start out in than large ones, because people tend to help out in many different areas. My first job was as a kennel worker in a large, AAHA certified clinic. Although the vets were very kind and welcomed questions, the large staff meant that there were very clear boundaries between kennel staff, assistants and techs, and I almost never left the boarding area.

As for the difficulty of college, it's really just something you have to experience and see how you do. Don't get to scared though, sometimes we just need to gripe a little!

You'll want to talk to one of the vets, and/or the practice manager if they have one. They're usually responsible for hiring or accepting volunteers.

I volunteered instead of working.

The only open job was at a kennel, and all I'd be able to do was to scoop poo and walk dogs. It paid, but it wasn't what I wanted to learn.

As a volunteer, I went into the exam rooms with doctors, got a to see a whole lot of surgery (even scrubbed in a few times), did all the regular vet assistant stuff so I got a ton of animal handling experience and exposure to the field.

I just kept on showing up at the clinic, and eventually I got to fill in for regular assistants, even though I was a volunteer. When one of the assistants left for vet school, they hired me.

You start out with grunt work, and at first they probably won't let you do a whole lot. Especially if you don't have any prior experience. But if you hang in there, you get to be part of the team.

I started out as a volunteer also. When I decided I wanted to pursue vet medicine I went door to door to all the local clinics to see if anyone would take on volunteers. The first one I visited had me drop off a resume. The next 12 said they had no interest.

I ended up getting an email 2 weeks later from the first one to schedule an interview. They took me on as a volunteer and I got to help on appointments and with other vet tech related jobs. I put in something like 200 hours there as a volunteer and a position opened up and then I started to get paid.

Worked out amazingly well. Small'ish clinic with doctors and a high case load.

You're right david594, I forgot about that part. It was not easy to find a place that took in volunteers, or hired people with no previous clinic experience.

I tried every place in town, and then the next town over. I got the brush-off quite a bit.

Don't take it personally, many places don't have the time for brand spankin' new people, or see them as an insurance liability. Just be persistant because it pays off.

For the longest time I wanted to be a vet technician... vet sounded way too complicated, and I wasn't sure how I was going to react to surgeries and whatnot. After volunteering at a clinic, I've changed my mind, and now want to try to become a vet.

I think that you are making a very mature approach to considering your future. I can't tell you how many pre-vets that I have met think it is all about playing with puppies and kitties all day, sure a little of it is when you have new pets come in :laugh: but not all of it.

I know what you mean. This girl is my age- junior in high school- and her and I have the same job. She keeps saying 'When I grow up, I'm going to be a vet tech on the weekends so I get to see animals and help them all weekend, and I will be a firefighter on the weekdays... and I will help the kids... and I will...' :laugh: Suuurrrreee. She almost believes that life is a fairy tale. She never does anything but play with the kittens we have for adoption. Then when the vet talks to us, she always says "I cleaned the kittens cages". Yeah, you mean before or after you played with them for two hours? Sorry for the rant. Haha.

Well, anyways, back to the original post. I'm a junior in HS, and I really was undecided last year. Although I really wasn't sure if I could handle it or not, I talked to my vet, and she hired me- she needed someone who could handle birds with her. Basically, working there has verified my decision. I will become a vet.

I've also learned another thing; I am not that squeemish. When I watched my first two surgeries, I was like oooooh, he's going to feel that cut when he gets up, but now I'm just like wow, I hope I can learn how to do that one day!

Get involved! It really helps. :)

Even shadowing a veterinarian if you can't get a job is great, or volunteering. I would have volunteered; however, I probably wouldn't be able to get the same hands on training because it's considered a liability for the clinic.... or something like that. I remember there was an insurance issue.