Deciding Gap Year Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

expressojoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't necessarily a brand new question, but I'm struggling to pick between two job offers I have for my gap year. I just graduated and submitted primaries for the 2020 cycle, so in the one year before med school I sought out different jobs. I ended with a fulltime offer from ScribeAmerica and a fulltime offer as a research tech with Columbia.

As far as my previous experiences go, I have 1200 hrs of research as an undergrad, 200 hr hospital volunteering, 80 cumulative hours shadowing.

Which would be more useful for my gap year? I thought of doing both, going part time with scribing, though the tech job is an 1.5hr commute and the scribing job's hours are 10a-10m/12pm-12am so it wouldn't work.

Members don't see this ad.

Which would you enjoy doing more? Look more into the tech position - does this PI publish efficiently? Would you enjoy doing research there?

You could always pick up a clinical volunteering gig on the weekends to get additional experience in both areas at once. Congrats on your graduation :)

Personally, I would say take the scribe job because you have tons of research hours and your hands on clinical experience is less. Plus scribing is just an amazing job in general because you work alongside a physician all day. You will learn to think like a physician and will gain much more bedside experience. But ultimately it is up to you.