Deciding between nursing and medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I work towards going to medical school or nursing school?

• Medical School

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Nursing School

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

almostgraduate92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was younger I really wanted to be a doctor. I loved science and wanted to help the sick any way I could, but in high school I had a few bad science teachers and struggled with depression and decided it wasn't something I could pursue.

Now I am 21 and will be graduating with two non-science related degrees in December. I would really like to work towards a career in medicine again but worry that I will not be able to complete the prerequisites for medical school or get a competitive score on the MCAT. I know that I can spend a year at community college then a year at a state school and be a working RN, but I worry that will not be as fulfilling as being an MD.

How do I decide? I know they are very different careers and will affect the next few years of my life greatly. If I decide on medical school, how do I get the prerequisites completed before applying? How long would it take until I could start applying to programs? Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

We can't answer this question for you. It all comes down to what you want out of life.

Only you can make this decision! But it might be helpful to do some shadowing. Spending some time shadowing doctors and nurses in different specialties might give you a better sense of what the differences are between the two careers and which one is a better fit for you.

If I decide on medical school, how do I get the prerequisites completed before applying?
You can enroll in any accredited college as a non-degree student and just take the necessary prereqs. 4-year universities are preferable to community colleges but there are some schools that will accept CC credits.

How long would it take until I could start applying to programs?
This depends on how many (if any) prereqs you've taken already and whether you would take any missing classes full-time or part-time. But just as a reference, I didn't take any science classes in college. It took me about 2 years to complete my prereqs, taking 2 classes per semester most of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may also help to get that RN/BSN and just work. The nurses I work with are absolutely critical to patient outcomes and sometimes I wish I had the healthcare intimacy they have. I work with quite a few nurses who are progressing to get their NP's, and without a doubt, this is a very financially viable, satisfying job prospect.

Teachers are one thing, depression is another. There is little we can't accomplish when we decide it's within our grasp.

Why not become a midlevel?