Decent Science GPA low overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarletknight1231

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
recent graduate from Rutgers strongly considering the osteopathic route after having second thoughts on optometry however my cGPA is only a 2.95:thumbdown:, thanks to failing calc twice and receiving a D in pre-calc twice (math just aint my thing) however under the osteopathic science gpa guidelines I have a sGPA of a 3.4, still have yet to take o-chem, will be doing that post bacc, however I've finished physics 1&2, bio 1&2, chem 1&2, micro-bio, & other rigorous senior level science courses, is this an avenue worth pursuing or just a pipe dream, id rather not have my family waste money on this is if there is no chance. My plan might be to take Orgo 1&2 with lab this year and then study/take mcat in late august. Thoughts? Advice? and a side note all my sciences classes were taken once, no repeats etc. just one withdraw from orgo 1 due to health issues will be retaking this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to raise both your cGPA to over 3.0 and a sGPA over 3.0 If you can score a MCAT of 505 of higher you could receive some DO interviews.

Your science GPA is fine. It is competitive for D.O. schools. Your cGPA, however, may get you screened out at many schools.

Also, since you have already received your degree, it means you have quite a few credits under your belt; this could be problematic because it'll be hard to move your cGPA.

Take the two orgos and see if there are any other upper division science courses you have interest in and take those. If you can manage to bump your cGPA above a 3.0, and you proceed to score around the 505 mark on the MCAT, you'll be competitive for some of the newer D.O. schools.

Good luck.