decent DAT, low GPA, late applicant..chances for USC???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumball1

Reaction score
so I got a 21 AA and a 20TS
my sGPA is 3.4 and oGPA is 3.2
what are my chances at this point?
I have a letter of rec from a professor at USC dental, I shadowed him for 250 hours....I have a total of 350 shadowing hours and like 500+ volunteer hours ...
should I even waste my money on dental school apps or just do a masters?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty solid for a lot of schools. Mines are slightly higher and I've had 4 interviews so far, but its pretty late in the cycle now if you haven't applied yet. If I were you I'd take some higher level science courses (or finish your undergrad) to boost your GPA and apply next cycle.
Your stats are alright for USC tho and I hear they interview pretty late in the cycle if it's the only school you plan on applying to (which I wouldn't recommend) and money isn't a issue it wouldn't hurt trying to apply and see what happens I definitely don't think you need a master's, your GPA isn't that low and it'll put you in even more debt.

Reactions: 2 users
Your stats are pretty solid for a lot of schools. Mines are slightly higher and I've had 4 interviews so far, but its pretty late in the cycle now if you haven't applied yet. If I were you I'd take some higher level science courses (or finish your undergrad) to boost your GPA and apply next cycle.
Your stats are alright for USC tho and I hear they interview pretty late in the cycle if it's the only school you plan on applying to (which I wouldn't recommend) and money isn't a issue it wouldn't hurt trying to apply and see what happens I definitely don't think you need a master's, your GPA isn't that low and it'll put you in even more debt.

thanks so much!! Im a bio major have like 4 more bio classes to take next semester and I'm done...should I still take my chances and apply u think?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much!! Im a bio major have like 4 more bio classes to take next semester and I'm done...should I still take my chances and apply u think?

Again I don't know your financial situation but if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to apply to the schools that are still interviewing.
Personally I would wait until next cycle and concentrate on getting As on all my classes and apply as early as I can.
If you were to boost your GPA to over 3.3ish and your sGPA to 3.5ish you would have a decent shot at most state schools (if you have one) and you'd save a lot of money in the long run if you go instate.

I would wait if I were you, but I’m not you. If you don’t get in this cycle, you would have to write a new personal statement and an additional essay stating what has changed over the last year to make you a better applicant.

I would wait and apply next cycle. Take the time to write a really well-rounded personal statement and obtain good LORs. Apply to a lot of private schools and apply early. You totally have a shot! I have an even lower sGPA than you with a 23 DAT and have 7 interviews so far so you will be fine!!!

I would wait if I were you, but I’m not you. If you don’t get in this cycle, you would have to write a new personal statement and an additional essay stating what has changed over the last year to make you a better applicant.

You don't necessarily need to write a new ps I only made minor changes to mine and I don't think it negatively affected me.

Reactions: 1 user
I would wait and apply next cycle. Take the time to write a really well-rounded personal statement and obtain good LORs. Apply to a lot of private schools and apply early. You totally have a shot! I have an even lower sGPA than you with a 23 DAT and have 7 interviews so far so you will be fine!!!
Congrats!!! That’s is Awesome. May i ask what materials you used and for how long ?