December NBDE I (join a study group)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar2molar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ,

I am planning to take NBDE part I in december 2003. I'am doing MPH currently in NSU in southflorida.

If anybody is from this area and are intrested in forming a study group, we can all get together. Also we can do it online in a chat room kinda thing. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

_:D
molar2molar

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Don't u think it'll be a good idea if we convert this thread to a sort of personalised forum for all international dents taking the boards (part 1) in december ??
We can all throw around our study ideas and other tips.
I guess with only a couple of months left, we'll all need each others support and help.
Hope this finds favor with all aspiring dents...........:cool::clap:

hey thats a good idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,count me in too

How much have you guys finished yet? I'm kind of worried,I still have more than half to complete and time is running out.Problem is my concentration is dying on me.I'm trying to study for 8 hrs daily but till now cant reach that much.my max is 6hrs.How about you guys?

molar2molar

check your PM

Hey
I would like to give u guys an update regarding my prep.......
I've managed to cover Micro, Anatomy and Dental Histology.
I'll be moving on to biochem next.....
My study plan is......

1) brush up on biochem basics via 'Little Brown Biochem Review Book' (Approx. 2-3 days)

2) Hit the decks (1-2 days)

3) Solve the past Q papers (1 day)

TOTAL = 5-6 days.

Please let me know if any of u have already covered biochem and ur study plan if so.

Lets crack this exam ppl!!!:cool: ;) :clap:

Hey guys, I just wanted to tell you something based on my personal experience. The biochem/phisio part is more phisio than anything.

I personally found biochem very hard, even harder than phisiology, so when I was studying I concentrated more on biochem, and had to go extremely fast trough phisio, which I now regret.

If you take a look at old exams, most questions have more phisio in it, than biochem. A lot of biochem questions have a phisio perspective on them, so if you can manage phisio well you could get it right.

I know that in order to understand phisio one needs to know biochem, but just don't kill yourselves learning all those step by step biochem cycles. All those enzymes names are quite hard to remember in any language!!!

On phisio the classic questions will be the ones about metabolic/respitatory acidosis/alkalosis. Make sure you understand that!!!

luck!

All rigtht ppl u have all managed to scare me!

I am just dusting my books and wondering if there will be enough time........
I am planning to start today and to put in 6 hours at least.

here is my study plan for the month of october.
starting with decks, one subject per day
reprints on Saturday
self testing on sunday on whatever I have covered in that week.

Now I have to squeeze in text books here some where:rolleyes:

what do u guys think ? should I try in december?
or is it too late?:(

-molar2molar

hi molar to molar
iam also sailing in the same boat .i started around 4 days back ,started with dental decks
i think we have enough time provided if we study regulorly
r u planning to go through the kaplan books page by page ?
does any one think its necessary?

Originally posted by smilee
hi molar to molar
iam also sailing in the same boat .i started around 4 days back ,started with dental decks
i think we have enough time provided if we study regulorly
r u planning to go through the kaplan books page by page ?
does any one think its necessary?

Hi Smilee,
I hope we have enough time. I will be using kaplan notes only for certain topics which I may think need extra study. If not I dont think I will have time for them.
'neways keep in touch and lets try to make it through this NBDE thing:clap:

Molar2Molar

hey Smilee,

how did ur weekend go ?
Any progress with the prep??
Mine sucked!

-molar2molar

hi
samething with me started again on mon .where u did ur BDS(if u dont mind)? will call u if u dont mind .give me a privatemessage

Hi guys
A quick heads up on the biochem scene........
In my opinion, Kaplan biochem section is very good for a fast review followed by decks and past papers. Other than that there's very little we can do about biochem at this late stage.
My plan is to concentrate more on physio now onwards.....
If ne1 else is also doing biochem, please share ur thoughts....
CHEERS
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys ,

How are all of you doing? So far I've gone through Anatomic Sciences( havent studied Embryology yet though) and about to dive into Bio/Physiology.I know there isnt much time left and I'm positive I will take time on this subject,that scares me.Dental Anatomy I did study 8 months ago so I intend to take care of that at the very end.Micro/Path I havent even opened yet,how long do you guys think it will take to finish Micro/Path??? Phy/Bio I did read once a few months back but dont think I remember much.

Tell me people your progress, we need to support each other in these dark days:) I suggest everyone post there study plan and how many hours they put daily.
For myself I'm trying for 8 hrs/day but cant reach that goal most of the time its 6.Some days only 3-4 hours!! When it comes to wasting time,I'm an expert on it:)

Hey guys
take a look at the first sticky thread "Links of interest...". You'll see there I recopilated a short list of some of the post populated old threads about studying for NBDE part 1. Hope this helps!!!

hey guys!
thanx meggs...
tat was a help...
something i ve always been lookin for.:cool:

Originally posted by tantrik03
Hi guys
A quick heads up on the biochem scene........
In my opinion, Kaplan biochem section is very good for a fast review followed by decks and past papers. Other than that there's very little we can do about biochem at this late stage.
My plan is to concentrate more on physio now onwards.....
If ne1 else is also doing biochem, please share ur thoughts....
CHEERS
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i agree with you,that kaplan notes are the good ones for biochem at this point of time....but i doubt if tats enough..wat do u think?
though i ve not read the dental deck for it yet,may be that ll complete this...:) :)

hi!
pls don't forget to see the corrections made in dental decks on www.dentaldecks.com

wish u all the best!
ubd

UBD, thanks for the post!

Ok so far I'm almost finished with Bio/Phy and I've got Micro/Path & Dental Anatomy left, now dental Anatomy I've studied before a few months back so I'm not really worried about it now.BUT Micro/Path I have no idea about it! Havent studied before at all( except of course in college but cant remember any of it)

How long will it take me to study Micro/Path??? Do u guys think its hard?take alot of time to prepare for? Any feedback will be appreciated

I don't want to stress you tamer..but those subjects do take time..Micro more than Path..but Path with all the disorder and syndrom and genetic or autoimmune diseases well confuse you..so do it now.....with both of them use NHS..

There is lots of Q's on bone ,blood, Immune and genetic diseases based on their clinical manifestation..so you should not only know you should also memorize..I don't Know if you have USMLE first Aids..there is lots of tricks to help you memorize..

Micro..is pure memorization ..with all of it classes and features..what you should first concentrate in is to take all the main classes(Bact, Virus, Fungi, Protozoa) and study their structure like what they are made off, and compare them together, what make this microorganism differ from the other, and you should do the same within the same class,,like gram (+) or (-). About the disease...I have Essential Microbiology for Dentistry( By: L.P.Samaranayake...Livingstone Pupblisher)..it is really good book it hepled me concentrate only in oral microorganism related conditions, especially all the latent virus causing conditions..

I hope that I was in any kind for help to you tamer..
I wish you all good luck

HIM0098 ,

Thanks alot on your feedback ,I kind of knew
Micro/Path wasnt going to be a picnic...I will take ur advice and start on it right away,I'll try to squeeze in with Bio/Phy for the next two days,how I dont know yet,God Help me:) ..do you think 2 weeks of intense Micro/Path studying is enough?Anyways HIM0098 (why 0098?? by the way) thanks for taking the time to reply.

People what subject(s) do you find the hardest to study??I,myself, find Anatomy the hardest because all of the memorization,with all the nerves and courses and relations..etc...I easily forget it all.But Bio on the otherhand does stick,dont forget much of it.

Hi,
It is getting really hard to keep oneslf motivated to get through this exam..I find Pathology to be really a loadsome !!!!and Biochemistry to be so volatile !!.How much of the Kaplan theory are we supposed to read and understand ..the stuff really is too much ..!!!!
Please guys share methods of cracking this exams ..We all need to help each other out ...
Can anyone tell me where I can find the little brown Biochemistry book and how much does it cost???
As we are planning on december exams ..How many school choices do we have left for Advanced standing program???
Any info is highly appreciated..

Can anyone tell me where I can find the little brown Biochemistry book and how much does it cost???
check out on amazon.com, it is not very expensive.

As we are planning on december exams ..How many school choices do we have left for Advanced standing program???
if you take the exam in dec, then normally the results will be out by feb, and the only schools that would be left with the application deadlines open for the year 2004 will be NYU, BU and Univ of Illinois(with their program you are eligible to practice only in the state of Illinois). Upenn has the deadline on Jan 16 2004. If by any chance u happen to get the results before that then u stand a chance of applying to Upenn also.

Originally posted by Toothlaw
....How many school choices do we have left for Advanced standing program???
Any info is highly appreciated..

What about NOVA? I think it has a Feb deadline. :cool:
And Marquette?

How are you faring so far with preparation.. I didnt open any book for the last three days..been working hard ..:mad:

Tamer..the (0098) stands for the year I graduated from University Of The East..I love my college so much that till now I still have flash back of a moment or two( is that normal :confused: )

I got go back to reading some more of that boring Biochem...

good luck all

Hi, All
How is the preparation going on???It has been a hectic weekend!!!..Materials that all of you are currently using ...???Im preparing with Decks / Papers/ Kaplan .
Hope that its enough ..any feed back will be appreciated..
Lets keep up the inspiration!!
:p

hey every body ,
I hope every body are at the peak of their revisions.....and I am terrrrified:(
this tension is killing me Phew!:scared:

how do I get out of this nervousness????

-m2m

hi i am planning to take up NBDE Part -1 in july2004.............................please help me with how to study and from where??????????????????me too confused and scared...................:eek:
i can put up just 4-5 hours per day as i am an intern .....................do i have enough time??????????????????????
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!