Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine cont.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I was wondering if anyone has researched other apartments in the area. I just wanted to compare the med student housing with with other apartments. I was able find out that there are a couple of apartment complexes in Middlesboro but I was unable to find any pricing information.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was wondering if anyone has researched other apartments in the area. I just wanted to compare the med student housing with with other apartments. I was able find out that there are a couple of apartment complexes in Middlesboro but I was unable to find any pricing information.

The apartments that I saw listed were about the price of the houses for rent. It seems like there are more houses for rent than apartments. There are 3 bedroom houses for rent for $400. You could share with someone and have $200/month rent. WOW!:eek: Check out these links. Maybe they will help.:)

http://www.middlesborodailynews.com/claiborne_progress/
http://www.londonky.com/cgi-local/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

I just looked at the Claiborne Progress classifieds. There are several houses there that would work for you all. There usually are. Here is one that sounded really good.

4 Bdrm house for rent, Harrogate, gas heat $550 mo. + sec. dep. serious inq. only, ref. needed Lve Mess (423)869-5721 pd. 1bc...from Cumberland Trading Post

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked at the Claiborne Progress classifieds. There are several houses there that would work for you all. There usually are. Here is one that sounded really good.

4 Bdrm house for rent, Harrogate, gas heat $550 mo. + sec. dep. serious inq. only, ref. needed Lve Mess (423)869-5721 pd. 1bc...from Cumberland Trading Post

I called the number two days ago and a contract had already been signed, so this house is out. But like DoctorMom says, there are plenty of houses, almost all of which are very reasonably priced. The sites she notes are good resources.

I called the number two days ago and a contract had already been signed, so this house is out. But like DoctorMom says, there are plenty of houses, almost all of which are very reasonably priced. The sites she notes are good resources.

Oh, LOL! Well, there are plenty more. It was just a good example.:D

OMG!!!! I JUST FOUND CALVES FOR $100, A HORSE FOR $250, AND A GOAT FOR $50!!!!!!!!!!! I love Tennessee!!!:love: :love: :love: :D

Now, if only I had my house already so I could put them somewhere.:rolleyes:

In case you all don't know, I want at least one of each farm animal.:laugh:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Are you going?

I really thought there was no school that could change my mind about DCOM, but I'm getting back from VCOM and now I'm not so sure. They are both awesome schools...

I got to make a pros/cons list to figure it out...:) :(

I really thought there was no school that could change my mind about DCOM, but I'm getting back from VCOM and now I'm not so sure. They are both awesome schools...

I got to make a pros/cons list to figure it out...:) :(

Yea VCOM gave me second thoughts as well. It pretty much came down to the environment for me. I just couldn't see myself in Blacksburg (big undergrad town) for medical school. Well I should say, I love the town I just know too many people at VT and Radford :laugh: . Best of luck whichever you choose!

I heard goats are good eatin'....

:)

They are... Curried goat with flat bread or johny cake... Ya gotta cook 'um jussssssst right so the meat will be nice and tender.... YUMMMMY!

I say we have a BBQ at DoctorMom's ranch. I'll bring the curry (for the goat) and the Apple juice. Austinfinklea and Mrs AustinFinklea will supply the carrot sticks and ranch dressing. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Went home for lunch today and had quite possibly the best voice message I've ever received...

I M N

:thumbup:

Now, I'm just waitin' for the letter to make it official and make sure it wasn't a mistake! :)

Went home for lunch today and had quite possibly the best voice message I've ever received...

I M N

Now, I'm just waitin' for the letter to make it official and make sure it wasn't a mistake! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Any good places to go out in harrogate? I wonder where kidz from LMU party?

Any good places to go out in harrogate? I wonder where kidz from LMU party?

When I was there for the interview, I found a place called the Sundown (I think that's what it was called). It was cute and the locals said that's where most the people hang out. They said they'll be starting up karaoke nights soon...:thumbup:

When I was there for the interview, I found a place called the Sundown (I think that's what it was called). It was cute and the locals said that's where most the people hang out. They said they'll be starting up karaoke nights soon...:thumbup:

Oh I am so down for that. :D

And why is it that when all you're waiting for is the 29th to come the month just drags on and on and on?

So here's my interview story......

First of all, I must say that the interview group was a great bunch of people. All of them would make great classmates, so to the jan 16th crew.....Good luck to you all.

The adventure started when it took an hour to drive 10 miles to the airport on ice. Then my flight got delayed, the connection go delayed, and when I made it to Knoxville, I was told my luggage was lost. :scared: I asked the attendant at the car rental counter if there was a place to get a suit for tomorrow. Fortunately there's a mall not to far from the airport. I made it about 1/2 an hour before the mall closed and ran to every men's store there looking for anything my size. I purchased the only suit in the mall that close. Then it was off to Walmart for some necessities (only had the clothes on my back) and thread and needles to tailor my suit. It was about 11:30 by the time I got to the HI. I stayed up until 2:30 to tailor my suit and then went to bed.

At the interview, Jody informed me that my luggage was found and was to be delivered at noon so that I could make my return flight leaving at 5:15. Well it was 2:30 before my luggage made it, but at least I got it. (Good luck finding yours Texas Tech.) Big thanks to Dr. Leo and Jody for all the efforts to get my luggage to me.

I made my flight just barely but when I got back to the airport in OK, I was informed my luggage had again been lost. :laugh: Who knows when I'll get it, but at least I got home.

nice..sounds good. You have any idea how knoxville might be for a change?

First of all, I must say that the interview group was a great bunch of people. All of them would make great classmates, so to the jan 16th crew.....Good luck to you all.

The adventure started when it took an hour to drive 10 miles to the airport on ice. Then my flight got delayed, the connection go delayed, and when I made it to Knoxville, I was told my luggage was lost. :scared: I asked the attendant at the car rental counter if there was a place to get a suit for tomorrow. Fortunately there's a mall not to far from the airport. I made it about 1/2 an hour before the mall closed and ran to every men's store there looking for anything my size. I purchased the only suit in the mall that close. Then it was off to Walmart for some necessities (only had the clothes on my back) and thread and needles to tailor my suit. It was about 11:30 by the time I got to the HI. I stayed up until 2:30 to tailor my suit and then went to bed.

At the interview, Jody informed me that my luggage was found and was to be delivered at noon so that I could make my return flight leaving at 5:15. Well it was 2:30 before my luggage made it, but at least I got it. (Good luck finding yours Texas Tech.) Big thanks to Dr. Leo and Jody for all the efforts to get my luggage to me.

I made my flight just barely but when I got back to the airport in OK, I was informed my luggage had again been lost. :laugh: Who knows when I'll get it, but at least I got home.

damn you unlucky or wat? I had a pretty crapy time the night before my interview as well..but my luggage was the last of my worries. Perhaps you didnt do a good job of checking in your luggage while getting your boarding passes??? Dude still feeel your frustration, glad you pulled through though. Trust me Dr.leo is down to earth, i never thought i would describe a man like that but he is very cool. So i know wat you mean...one of the biggest reasons why i wanna go to this school is not coz of the school, but the people at the school!!!

I M N

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I KNEW YOU WOULD GET IN!!! See you in August!:D :clap: :hardy:

Anybody want to buy a fish tank?

They are... Curried goat with flat bread or johny cake... Ya gotta cook 'um jussssssst right so the meat will be nice and tender.... YUMMMMY!

I say we have a BBQ at DoctorMom's ranch. I'll bring the curry (for the goat) and the Apple juice. Austinfinklea and Mrs AustinFinklea will supply the carrot sticks and ranch dressing. :D

LMFAO!!! You are so funny. I hope you go to DCOM. You would be a lot of fun to have in class.:laugh:

I am totally up for a BBQ. We have a killer grill with a rotisserie. You are all welcome as long as you don't eat the pets!;)

:eek: WOW! I hope you hear some good news soon after that.:luck:

For those who drove from the Knoxville airport...

Did you take the directions that were given by DCOM? I mapquested the drive, and it sends me down the interstate, while DCOM's directions send me down the small road you all have been talking about (TN33 vs I75 to TN-63).

If anybody has opinions one way or the other let me know!

Did you take the directions that were given by DCOM? I mapquested the drive, and it sends me down the interstate, while DCOM's directions send me down the small road you all have been talking about (TN33 vs I75 to TN-63).

The mapquest directions sound right..i never tried the dcom directions, although i believe they are the same!

Can't comment on the I-75 to 63, but I can tell you that I think the school gives the directions that they do so that the applicants can see the countryside a little more. I maybe wrong though.

OMG!!!! I JUST FOUND CALVES FOR $100, A HORSE FOR $250, AND A GOAT FOR $50!!!!!!!!!!! I love Tennessee!!!:love: :love: :love: :D

Now, if only I had my house already so I could put them somewhere.:rolleyes:

In case you all don't know, I want at least one of each farm animal.:laugh:

u farm hick :smuggrin:

*starts opening up mcat prep books*

You taking the MCAT again Inviz??

im considering it. should start prepping now while i can ... till i find out i get in somewhere .. if i dont get in, well, that prepping could come in handy.

I M N

CONGRATS! Welcome to the LMU crew, DCOM style. On another note, I'm pretty excited for this pending BBQ at DoctorMom's place. (I'll avoid the pets, but they grilled meats will be ample). You can put me down for Spanish potato salad and pesto as well. Just give me a place and a time, and I'll cook. Here's to an awesome August and thereafter - PROST!

CONGRATS! Welcome to the LMU crew, DCOM style. On another note, I'm pretty excited for this pending BBQ at DoctorMom's place. (I'll avoid the pets, but they grilled meats will be ample). You can put me down for Spanish potato salad and pesto as well. Just give me a place and a time, and I'll cook. Here's to an awesome August and thereafter - PROST!

FABULOUS! I really am going to have a BBQ now. When we go to look at houses in a few weeks I will just have to pick the best BBQ spot. LOL! Where am I going to put 150 people? :rolleyes: :laugh:

BBQ sounds freaky good! I tell you, I make killer hamburgers......they are stuffed with peppered pastrami, jalapeno cheddar cheese, and a pinch of lime. Freakin good!! Now, that is the only thing I am any good at making........everything else, according to my wife, tastes like garbage.

Thats why you are going to buy a 100 acre ranch, right Docmom? We will find somewhere to house all of us.

im considering it. should start prepping now while i can ... till i find out i get in somewhere .. if i dont get in, well, that prepping could come in handy.

*Induced dry heave* Dude, I couldnt look at another Kaplan book ever again. I hate Kaplan with a vengeance! Well, good on you, however, for sticking with it. I am sure you will get in though.........I mean, who wouldnt accept you..........you are such a pleasant little DEVIL.:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

BTW, when do you interview at DCOM?

Burgers are grilled....Brisket is BBQ'ed. :) There's a difference.

Sorry, coming from the KC area, I'm kind of a BBQ elitist! :)

I used to be part of a team that took part in the American Royal BBQ contest...Pulled Pork is my specialty, but I make a mean Beer Butt Chicken...

I can do the pork KC style or Eastern Carolina Style (Vinegar based sauce).

Anyway...good morning all. Thanks for the comments..we had to go catch my KSU Wildcats in action last night...only a few more times gettin' to watch Huggs coach.

Mmmmm....you are making me hungry!

Dr. Inviz is going to be at our BBQ guys, don't worry.;)

My husband and I watch those BBQ cookoffs on the Food Network. I always thought that sounded like fun.

100 acres?!?! Who is going to mow that?!?! LOL!

:D :thumbup:

Burgers are grilled....Brisket is BBQ'ed. :) There's a difference.

Sorry, coming from the KC area, I'm kind of a BBQ elitist! :)

I used to be part of a team that took part in the American Royal BBQ contest...Pulled Pork is my specialty, but I make a mean Beer Butt Chicken...

I can do the pork KC style or Eastern Carolina Style (Vinegar based sauce).

Anyway...good morning all. Thanks for the comments..we had to go catch my KSU Wildcats in action last night...only a few more times gettin' to watch Huggs coach.

Thank heavens you're coming to DCOM - I prefer KC style, if that works for you. REAL BBQ in Harrogate, who would have thought. (We can always take a fieldtrip to Memphis for comparison's sake, albeit KC is the standard.) While BBQ and grilling aren't my specialty, I'll take care of anything else in and out of the kitchen, and then some. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, slow cooked everything! :hardy:

My husband and I watch those BBQ cookoffs on the Food Network. I always thought that sounded like fun.

Well, your cows, horses, goats, sheep, tigers, lions, elephants, etc. will mow your lawn.....right?

So no takers for my curried goat? ;)

I can also BBq the goat KC style if you guys prefer! :laugh:

DoctorMom, you don't need to worry about mowing the 100 acres. The goats (less the one I curry) and the horse will keep the grass in check.

Well, your cows, horses, goats, sheep, tigers, lions, elephants, etc. will mow your lawn.....right?

Ohhh, with all those animals she could open "The Harrogate Zoo" and charge admission to help pay for med school!

LMAO!!! You all are so funny! I can't wait to start classes!:laugh: :laugh: :love:

Hey! I found my dream house and it is on 40 acres. Plenty of room for a BBQ. Too bad it is 179,000. :( Do you think they will take 100,000 off the price for me?:rolleyes: I am off to buy a lottery ticket. :luck: :laugh:

About the directions - mapquest v DCOM's directions --

I met a local woman in the Chicago airport on the way to Knoxville, and she said the mapquest way takes you through the mountains (a harder drive). The DCOM way (TN-33) is a very nice road -- and it is GORGEOUS!

Just my two cents.

*Induced dry heave* Dude, I couldnt look at another Kaplan book ever again. I hate Kaplan with a vengeance! Well, good on you, however, for sticking with it. I am sure you will get in though.........I mean, who wouldnt accept you..........you are such a pleasant little DEVIL.:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

BTW, when do you interview at DCOM?

apparently, ive got the worst file/stats ever. need to bump that 24 up along with the sucky 3.7. also needa work on my inability to suck up to a lovely lady.

I M N

Congratulations!!! And don't worry your letter will get there... mine took 2 weeks of thinking they called the wrong Nicole before it came...

Welcome!!!

I took 75 to 63. I asked about 33 while there, and they said that if you don't mind driving on mountain roads, you could take that route...but 75 and 63 was probably the quickest.

Whether those accepted to DCOM chose to matriculate, as many have gotten in to other schools of choice, I'm certain the inaugural class will be quite excellent and particularly special. It's not often new schools open, and rarer still that they're as well organized as Dr. Stowers well-fit operation. I must admit I had many reservations before my interview, and DCOM was not high on my list. Yet after the interview, I was hooked; lured, reeled, caught, etc. (For those currently applying, I cannot over emphasize the impact of the interview.) Granted my personal bias include an interest in IM-Peds, with potentially a rural emphasis, but nevertheless the facilities available for clerkship rotations are excellent across the board - and the entire State. As for peds especially, St. Jude's Research Hospital is in Memphis, so a connection there could be aligned in the future, if efforts haven't been made already. Long story short, DCOM will be top notch because of the people who have flocked there to make it so, and I'm excited to see how our class sets the tone for the next preeminent school in primary care medicine.
Cheers!

After reading soo many great things about LMU, I called and spoke to a director about LMU today..and he was soo friendly and nice..made me want to apply. I am sending my secondary tommorow..

:D

After reading soo many great things about LMU, I called and spoke to a director about LMU today..and he was soo friendly and nice..made me want to apply. I am sending my secondary tommorow..

:D

Dr Leo and Jody are both nice, aren't they?? They have both been so responsive to all my questions. Shoot, I wasn't planning on applying this season at all, but I am SERIOUSLY considering throwing my hat in for a spot at DCOM.

If these two are indicative of the folks at Debusk anyone who attends has made an excellent choice. The faculty/staff have your back and will work their tails of for you! :thumbup:

Not to sound nerdy or anything but medical school ultimately will rest in the hands of the students..it's our work ethic that will eventually define DCOM's reputation! I honestly care about being a surgeon, so no matter how nerdy i might feel some days...studying,studying,studying will become a really imp part of my days!!