death of a comrade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lost one of my former partners this past week. He had worked at our company for almost 17 years. He died at home...cause unknown. When he didn't show up for work....his ambulance crew went by his home to check on him and found him there deceased. He was 53. Superintelligent and a great guy.....

I will miss you David :(

Members don't see this ad.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a former partner is like losing a little piece of yourself. I'm sure the two of you shared some great stories together! What a shock his death must have been to your EMS service - such a young guy. My heart also goes out to his crew that found him.

You have had a tough week - crazy supervisors and now this! Sending hugs from CT again.

Deirdre

beanbean said:
So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a former partner is like losing a little piece of yourself. I'm sure the two of you shared some great stories together! What a shock his death must have been to your EMS service - such a young guy. My heart also goes out to his crew that found him.

You have had a tough week - crazy supervisors and now this! Sending hugs from CT again.

Deirdre

Thank you very much....I just came back from his memorial service. I remembered many calls and stories about him.

The saddest thing we do is have a last call given out over the radio for the EMT. It never, ever fails to make me cry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they have bagpipes at the service? Up here anytime an EMT/firefighter/or police officer dies there is a good chance there will be bagpipes at the funeral. There is no way to stay composed when they start playing.

The other thing that gets me is when all of the medics/firefighters/officers leave their gloves on the casket and they give a pair of gloves to the family. Get out the Kleenex!

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Being part of the EMS community gives you the privledge of working with some amazing people. There certainly are some wackos and power-hungry inept supervisors, but the medic on the street who is your partner can be the most awesome person in the world. It sounds like your partner gave tremendous gifts to others during his short life. Bless him.

beanbean said:
Did they have bagpipes at the service? Up here anytime an EMT/firefighter/or police officer dies there is a good chance there will be bagpipes at the funeral. There is no way to stay composed when they start playing.

The other thing that gets me is when all of the medics/firefighters/officers leave their gloves on the casket and they give a pair of gloves to the family. Get out the Kleenex!

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Being part of the EMS community gives you the privledge of working with some amazing people. There certainly are some wackos and power-hungry inept supervisors, but the medic on the street who is your partner can be the most awesome person in the world. It sounds like your partner gave tremendous gifts to others during his short life. Bless him.

Thoughts go out to our fallen comrade and his family, both immediate and EMS.

DSM said:
I lost one of my former partners this past week. He had worked at our company for almost 17 years. He died at home...cause unknown. When he didn't show up for work....his ambulance crew went by his home to check on him and found him there deceased. He was 53. Superintelligent and a great guy.....

I will miss you David :(
I'm so sorry DSM. I just now came across this, so it's a bit late. I'm thinking of you all. :oops:

Last January, one of our medics was dealing with a no injury MVC on the interstate, during a snow/ice storm. A tractor trailer lost control, slammed into the back of the ambulance, pushing it into the vehicles in the original crash. This medic and his partner had just enough time to get the people over the guardrail, but everyone but him made it. One of the vehicles pinned him to the guardrail then dragged him approx. 60ft., severing both legs above the knee. Amazingly, his partner was able to keep it together and treat him. I'd like to think I'd be able to do that if I had to. I've heard the tapes of it, and it absolutely sends chills through my spine. He did survive though, but will obviously never work in EMS again. Strangely, his partner has had horrible experiences with his past partners. Years ago, one was killed in an MVC on his way home after their shift. Then, he had another one that was killed off-duty when he was cutting limbs on a tree, and one struck him in the head. Anyways.....

Well, again DSM, sorry to hear about your friend and colleague. Stay strong. And to EVERYONE, BE SAFE!!! :)

DSM, sorry to hear what happened. I know it must be difficult for all of you, but my thoughts are with you. hope things start looking up.