Dear Orthos: LEARN TO KNOW YOUR PLACE IN THE BIG PICTURE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IN addressing you future orthos, I am attempting to right wrongs done to me by many arrogant, pompous ass ortho surgeons. It took 11 different surgeries by 11 different "top" nyc area surgeons before finding Dr. Shelbourne in Indianapolis.

MY advice to you is never forget you are the "mechanic" or "technician" in fixing the ligament, bone, etc. etc.... However, the real interface and feedback from the patient and the real complete road to rehabilitation will come from a competent PM&R, phys therapist etc...

Just as a cardio-thoracic surgeon refers to a cardiologist or a neuro surgeon to a neurologis make sure you understand that your represent a PORTION of a patient's rehab and not ALL of it. LEarn your place as a cog in the wheel and don't act like you are the be all end all

LEARN THESE LESSONS NOW AND YOUR PATIENTS WILL BENEFIT IMMEASURABLY.

Members don't see this ad.

Ifellinapothole said:
IN addressing you future orthos, I am attempting to right wrongs done to me by many arrogant, pompous ass ortho surgeons. It took 11 different surgeries by 11 different "top" nyc area surgeons before finding Dr. Shelbourne in Indianapolis.

MY advice to you is never forget you are the "mechanic" or "technician" in fixing the ligament, bone, etc. etc.... However, the real interface and feedback from the patient and the real complete road to rehabilitation will come from a competent PM&R, phys therapist etc...

Just as a cardio-thoracic surgeon refers to a cardiologist or a neuro surgeon to a neurologis make sure you understand that your represent a PORTION of a patient's rehab and not ALL of it. LEarn your place as a cog in the wheel and don't act like you are the be all end all

LEARN THESE LESSONS NOW AND YOUR PATIENTS WILL BENEFIT IMMEASURABLY.

I disagree that we must defer to a PM&R. I want my patients following my protocols for PT. I did the surgery and I will be fixing any bad outcomes from too aggressive PT from a PM&R. (theoretically speaking) Therefore I want to be THE GUY in making those decisions.

Ifellinapothole said:
MY advice to you is never forget you are the "mechanic" or "technician" in fixing the ligament, bone, etc. etc....

Pot hole, or A** Hole??

Get a life. I agree with the above post. To suggest that we as orthopedic surgeons are meerly technicians is ignorant and arrogant. I am all for the team approach, but don't suppose for a moment that I will need to rely on the local PM&R guy/gal for my post-op cases. A major part of our training is not only how to do the cases, but also how to manage them from start to finish.

Perhaps I am out of line, but I suggest you stop being bitter about not matching into ortho.

Status
Not open for further replies.