dear class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we wind down this Residency season, I thought we could leave some bits of wisdom for next year's class.

Here's my take:
1. Do not underestimate this process. Residency spots are not increasing with the increasing size of medical schools making process even more competitive. I believe that the competitive specialties had a better rate of not scrambling just because they had really competitive applicants. The scramblers at my school were mainly gen surg, FM, and EM. The theory that once you get into medical school you're going to be a doctor is a myth and the Match is a big part of making it so.

2. Do not take anything a program director tells you seriously. Just presume they are all lying until you know your results on Match day.

Members don't see this ad.

Start the process early, plan your schedules accordingly. Make yourself known within the department at your school.

APPLY BROADLY!!!

I fell well into the teens on my rank list. Despite the "WTF happened" gut wrenching feeling I have had since Thursday, I was able to match in the field I wanted in great location because I applied to way more programs than my advisors recommended.

Last edited:
2. Do not take anything a program director tells you seriously. Just presume they are all lying until you know your results on Match day.

Agree with this. Intentional or not, I feel a significant number of PDs do this. Take everything that they say with a grain of sale, take nothing to the bank, and do your own homework on the program. Of course, as it pertains to the whole "you are ranked to match" thing, consider it bulls**t and DO NOT adjust your rank list based on your post-interview communications. Rank where you want to go and hope for the best.

Also, sending letters to PDs saying you are ranking them highly - forget it, it's a waste of time. They don't care and will rank applicants to fit their preferences.

. Of course, as it pertains to the whole "you are ranked to match" thing, consider it bulls**t and DO NOT adjust your rank list based on your post-interview communications. Rank where you want to go and hope for the best.

Absolutely agree with this. I would also add that if your #1 is sending you love mail don't be stupid and think you're ok with a small rank list. You should really rank every program you interviewed at that you would be willing to go to. Just ask yourself this question: what would be worse, matching to this program or having to scramble. If the idea of the scramble is worse then rank that program!

Definitely agree with apply broadly.

I received interviews from places that I thought I didn't have much of a shot at and I was rejected from places I assumed I was a shoe-in for. You never know who is going to offer you an interview and who isn't, scores aren't everything.

When you visit a program, remember that every moment of the day is part of the interview. Be nice to everyone--the coordinator, the office staff, the housekeeping personnel. Smile. Talk. Look like you are engaged with the process and happy to be there, even if you feel tired or if the program doesn't meet your expectations. If you are naturally introverted, practice interview skills with friends and prepare for different scenarios.

The number one negative comment I see from both faculty and residents post interview is that the applicant "didn't seem interested."

Definitely apply broadly (good mix of competitive and some non-competitive programs)

Apply to a backup specialty only if you're serious about it. It's likely better to do a prelim than a backup specialty if your heart is really not in it

Have Step 2CK in early

Keep in touch with all programs; however, the whole "you're my #1" doesn't help at all... it certainly did not help me.

Don't listen to PDs telling you "you're a strong candidate" "you're high on our rank list" "you're ranked to match" ... it works for some (those with insane board scores, obviously), but did not work for me

DOs should take Step 1 and/or Step 2. Preferable to take both, but not necessary. You must have a kick ass Step 1 score, OR take Step 2 early and kick ass on it

IM/FP can pre-match us DOs, but dont feel pressured to do so, especially with community programs. I had a lot of classmates pre-match in those specialties (I did not apply IM/FP).

Do some aways (although this did not help me :rolleyes:) ... meet with the PD and education directors, get good LORs, show interest, take a few calls, etc. Be chill and likeable, residents have a say but depending on which program, their level of influence may be high or low.

Definitely apply broadly, but also apply early - I had several interview offers before many friends had even applied. If you're a strong candidate, applying later likely won't hurt you, especially since some places wait until the MSPE comes out before offering interviews. But for those places that offer early interview invites, it was very helpful to be able to choose from a huge list of available interview dates before they all got filled up. And if you arrange your interviews early, it's more likely that you'll be able to coordinate interviews in the same city to minimize travel time and cost.

When you visit a program, remember that every moment of the day is part of the interview. Be nice to everyone--the coordinator, the office staff, the housekeeping personnel. Smile. Talk. Look like you are engaged with the process and happy to be there, even if you feel tired or if the program doesn't meet your expectations. If you are naturally introverted, practice interview skills with friends and prepare for different scenarios.

The number one negative comment I see from both faculty and residents post interview is that the applicant "didn't seem interested."

Yeah, but I wouldn't over-do it or be annoying. I saw some candidates on interview day REAAALLLYYY overdoing it to the point that everyone was annoyed.

Also, don't tell residents that the program you're interviewing at is not your #1... :laugh:

Yeah, but I wouldn't over-do it or be annoying. I saw some candidates on interview day REAAALLLYYY overdoing it to the point that everyone was annoyed.

Also, don't tell residents that the program you're interviewing at is not your #1... :laugh:

If there is only one person to be nice to during the whole interview day, make sure it's the program coordinator. This includes any emails or phone calls during scheduling, any follow-up communication, and make sure there is a great big smile on your face when you tell the PC you are happy to be here and thank you so much for arranging the interview. This will go miles (and, really, they work very hard, thanking them is only a few seconds out of your day).

Things I have seen which have ended up hurting the interviewee:

1) Being rude to the PC when scheduling hasn't worked out.
2) Not realizing that emails to any staff are usually printed out and added to file. Always write them in a "business casual" kinda way.
3) If you are aware you have a sarcastic or biting sense of humor, don't use your razor wit on a staff member, resident, or attending. Too dangerous. One person I know got along extremely well with an influential interviewer only to blow it by insulting several people later in the day.
4) If you're not sure if you fall into #3, keep your mouth shut. Smile politely.
5) Doctor4Life1769 reminded me that ridiculous over-enthusiasm can also be painful. I saw the same candidate at two different prelims and one advanced program grabbing every resident in sight and telling them loudly how they loooooved rotating there and how it was their dream program and didn't the resident remember them????!
6) If you think your pants are too tight, your skirt is too short, or your shoes are too quirky, they probably are. Get someone who dresses conservatively to approve your outfit.

Rank programs in the order in which you want to go, not in the order that you think you're likely to end up. I saw a few of my classmates scramble because of this, and a few match at programs they didn't really want but ranked highly because they figured they'd at least get that place.

Like a lot of people have said here, don't fall victim to the love games that programs will play with you. Assume they tell everyone that they will rank you highly. One of my classmates was told multiple times she was 'ranked to match' at a certain program, and, come match day, she went somewhere else even though she ranked the other program first. Another one of my classmates was told by a (competitive in his specialty) program that he wasn't ranked to match but was in a 'decent position' in their list. He matched.

Have an open mind. It's possible the program you think is your #1 in September will fall to #6 after interviews are done. Or, if you're like me, the program you think will be in your top 3 ends up not even appearing on your rank list.

The Prog. Coordinators appear to have a lot of input. Never forget it.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

I tend to agree with the "don't believe anything you hear", but you can also usually tell which are totally FOS and which are genuine.

There's a guy in the NE that was basically called out as a joke by all the people I talked to that interviewed with him. I actually considered calling him on it during the interview.

Also - don't be that applicant who talks about a boyfriend who lives in Boston and is never leaving Boston while you're interviewing in Pittsburgh, it's poor form. Wherever you are, even if it's a city that you think may not be at the top of your list, be there with an open mind. Don't tell a Steelers fan that you love the Ravens and their Steelers blow either, even if you mean it, also poor form.

If there's free alcohol at the pre/post-interview dinner don't be the applicant who drinks too much. You might think you're hilarious when you're inebriated but other applicants (and likely residents) might not think so. I'm sure there this kind of behavior has gotten people bumped off rank lists in the past.

I think overall while you're interviewing you should be yourself because you want to see where your personality fits into the program but you also need to remember to try and have fun, otherwise people will think you're bored and have no interest in them. I think it's also important to have some contact with programs you are going to rank highly. I don't think you have to send "I love you, you're my #1" necessarily but don't be afraid to ask questions of residents/program directors/chiefs to make sure the program fits your needs, I think if done in the right way it only adds to making you look thoughtful and interested.

Now that we're s/p interviews I think something I saw that was really annoying was candidates who shoved it in everyone's faces that they grew up around the area, like every couple minutes commenting on something in the local area. It's cool in moderation, but being super-tweeked about trying to comment about every possible connection/experience you have to an area sucks, I would think the interviewers feel that way too...is that pretty ubiquitous to everyone's experience or am I the only one? I'd be pretty reassured if it annoyed other ppl too

1. Take step 2ck early. There were a few program I expected to hear back from w/ interviews but did not because I took them too late in the year to count

2. Like others have stated above, do not listen any love letters/statements from PDs. Yeah, they are nice to hear but remember that this is a game, and may be one tactic they use to recruit top candidates (might end up benefiting them more than you). Rank programs by how YOU like them and where you'd like to see yourself

3. If planning on going into smaller or more competitive programs, don't hesitate to do aways. It might not be as "required" as some fields like ortho, ophtho, uro but it definitely helps in getting to know the program and getting your face out there. If you want to "gain the most bang for your buck", choose a program that's within your reach (ie don't do an away at MGH if you're an average or below average student). You still need to be competitive for a program to consider you, the away rotation will give you the extra edge to your app, assuming you do well and are well liked there.

The Prog. Coordinators appear to have a lot of input. Never forget it.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

I tend to agree with the "don't believe anything you hear", but you can also usually tell which are totally FOS and which are genuine.

There's a guy in the NE that was basically called out as a joke by all the people I talked to that interviewed with him. I actually considered calling him on it during the interview.

What specialty did you end up matching?

Now that we're s/p interviews I think something I saw that was really annoying was candidates who shoved it in everyone's faces that they grew up around the area, like every couple minutes commenting on something in the local area. It's cool in moderation, but being super-tweeked about trying to comment about every possible connection/experience you have to an area sucks, I would think the interviewers feel that way too...is that pretty ubiquitous to everyone's experience or am I the only one? I'd be pretty reassured if it annoyed other ppl too

In moderation it's fine. I remember when at my interview for a program that was my home state, the moment I had mentioned that this was home for me, some applicants had asked me Q's and I answered. However, I didn't keep bringing it up... when I interviewed elsewhere, another guy did the same thing. I guess I was glad to have someone provide info about a location I'd never been to till the interview... and I don't feel he nor I overdid it when given the opportunity to speak up... sucks you had "that guy"

I should comment, I matched at a program that I did not email (didn't do a thank you or a "im ranking you highly/#1") because the program outright told us not to.

Something to consider and think about... I guess.

Great idea for a thread. Let's see. The 3rd years are about to make or finalize their 4th year schedules at this point in the year, while finishing (hopefully) most of the core clinical rotations. All the above advice I agree with, but to elaborate:

1. Do your 'aways' and audition rotations (sub-internships / acting internships in your area of interest) early - meaning July and August so you can get solid, specialty-specific letters of rec for when your ERAS application is open for programs to see on September 1st. The earlier your application is complete, the sooner it will be reviewed, the sooner you'll be offered an interview. You'll have more control over how you schedule your interview season as well.

2. As others have said, take step 2 ck early as it will help your application - especially if your step 1 is borderline. Utilize your time wisely by finding ways to apply your April / May / June rotation material to step 2 ck. For example, if you're doing medicine, surgery or ob/gyn, your prep for the shelf / MKSAP can be integrated if not overlap with the material you need to review for step 2 ck. If you take it in June you're already in pretty good shape.

3. If you haven't started making yourself known in the department of your choice of field, strongly consider doing this soon. What people say about you in your letters of rec cannot be underestimated. Don't assume because you have amazing numbers and grades that you're a shoe-in anywhere. You need people to advocate for you in this process, that's what the letters are for. Don't be shy in approaching people. Everyone in academic medicine has a responsibility to help and advise students to get where they want to be.

4. If there's anyone you absolutely must send a thank you card to on the interview trail, it's the program coordinator. This is overlooked, and more important than sending a hand-written letter to every faculty member who interviewed you at a place you didn't even like.

5. If you have any control over scheduling your interviews (which you should if you submit your application early), don't schedule your dream reaching for the stars program first, or even second. And definitely not in Jan or Feb. It really helps to have one or two interviews under your belt to feel comfortable with the process, to get your spiel down, to figure out what you're really looking for in a program, because you won't know until you've seen at least a couple.

6. Don't be a fake. If you feel like you can tell when someone's a phony or trying too hard, well obviously other people can too. Especially the ones who interview thousands of candidates every year. Being yourself in front of strangers takes practice, if that sounds odd - practicing with friends, family, faculty at your school helps a lot and will make you more confident on interview day.

Hooray for "apply broadly". Full spectrum. I applied at a couple pie-in-the-sky programs after realizing that the price of a slim chance was less than the taxi to the airport.

Give each program where you're interviewing a completely fair shot. I had no idea my number one would be my number one until I was there and fell in love with it. One of the programs I was most excited about getting an interview for, I didn't end up ranking.

Get really good and personalized LORs. Ask the attending to include examples, if s/he can. Make sure you ask the key "Can you write me a GREAT rec letter?" question.

Really observe the residents, including how they interact with each other at lunch/dinner. They'll almost always be nice to *you* but if they seem to hate each other, run.

Fish around through the back alleys of your finances for unclaimed hotel/airlines miles to minimize costs. Also don't forget to see if you have connections for a place to stay in other cities. If you're not proud (I'm not), don't forget hostels are a possibility if your budget is getting slammed.

Females: pack spare hose. If you have one pair, it will run from hip to ankle the second you set foot out of the cab.

Ishie's above comments are SPOT ON :thumbup::thumbup:

Rank more than you think you need... so like ~25% more than NRMP says 100% matched for your category of applicant... ie if 9 ranks needed for USMD, then consider applying/interviewing/ranking 11-12 just in case. That way you can sleep easier later. :cool:

The worst thing imaginable could happen... ie, the NRMP server crash fiasco during the Scramble. :eek: Thankfully I didn't have to go through it myself, but was helping out another who unfortunately did.

In addition to taking Step 2CK early, I would also throw out there, finish Step 2CS by the time rank list is due (Mid Feb). Some places I went to had it as a requirement to be ranked that your scores are all in before making a decision. Remember that every other applicant is as equally qualified as you with similar scores. The way you differentiate yourself is by having all those additional small details completed and accounted for (Step 2CS/CK score, publications (even if pending- theyd like to see what is in the works), most core rotations completed so that the uploaded transcripts they see are major rotations and not fluffy stuff that every med school seems to have to fulfill the minimum clinical requirements of 3rd and 4th year). Don't burn bridges. Write your thank you letters, have someone on faculty call on your behalf to PDs of your top choice programs, etc.)

I agree with applying broadly. I applied to all 100+ programs because I knew that I would rather match somewhere than nowhere.

As far as the interview goes, have a few points about yourself that you want to communicate that you believe set you apart from the other candidates. Communicate these points to every person who interviews you. Being a nice guy may be enough to get you into the middle of the pack but if you don't set yourself apart how are you going to get ranked above all the other reasonable and interested people? Some interviews I would just be asked "do you have any questions for me?" Then it is up to me to somehow impress this person and have them rank me highly. It takes a lot of forethought in my opinion. In this instance, just having some interesting question is not going to make you memorable. Of course you have to do this without being a total Dbag/self-promoter.

You need people to advocate for you in this process, that's what the letters are for.

I could not agree more, especially if you are going into a field where they typically interview only a handful of applicants at a time.

I had heard from my home program's IM PD that little weight is put into the LORs when they look at applicants because everyone can find someone who will say something nice about them. Nevertheless, she happened to be my attending during my acting internship and I asked her to write me a recommendation.

Fast forward to my interview at the program I am matching at in med-peds...
The PD read the last two paragraphs of that LOR to me and, thankfully, it was glowing :love:

Throughout my med-peds interviews the interviewers brought up my LORs and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that most interviewers only had a couple applicant files to read that day. The PD only had 3 to 8 to read that day. They really had the time to look more in depth at each file before the interview and I think in this case your personal statement and LORs hold much more weight

Letters mostly have a basic template and look similar. Letters are worth as much as they stand out, just like anything on your resume.

I know only one of my letters really mattered, and I had it read to me over and over again during interviews. The rest were just your average positive letters.

Who writes them matters somewhat, obviously PD's and clerkship directors have more perspective since they can compare you to hundreds of students and residents, so a good one carries weight. To modify the above "everyone can find someone who will say something nice, but not everyone can find a PD that will"

Actually go to the NRMP website and read how the match algorithm works. It is true that it is in your best interest to rank programs how YOU want, and as mentioned above it is surprising how many people formulate their list around where they think they will be ranked highest. Read the algorithm for yourself to know how it works!

On interview day when asked if you have any more questions make sure the questions are tailored to whom you are being interviewed by. Don't ask the program director questions that can be better answered by the residents like "what's the off-service ICU rotation like" or "what is the call schedule".

Also, if asked a difficult question on an interview remember what's most important is how you react - stay calm, smile, possibly say something to acknowledge "that's a hard question" or "I haven't really thought about that much" and take a non-stressed second or 2 to formulate an honest answer that sounds somewhat like what they are looking for. Whatever you do - don't get crazy flustered if you can't come up with a good answer.

Agree with all comments above.

I want to reiterate that before you leave a program you interviewed at off your rank list, Really, REALLY, REALLLLLLY think about the scramble. Only a few fields had attainable categorical positions unfilled. If you don't rank a program and you have to scramble, the chances are outstanding that you will be far less pleased with your beggar's choice attained in the scramble. I helped my classmates scramble this year, and the desperation and fear was overwhelming. It was just... "I don't care, I'll take ANYTHING". So. Don't put yourself in that position. I didn't care for my #11 and 12 all that much, but I would have much, much rather ended up there than having to scramble for a prelim spot and have an uncertain future and have to repeat this mess next year (not to mention the cost repeat!). I didn't go that far in my list, but I still feel strongly about that. One of the scramblers was a pretty good candidate, but he was really picky in his rankings and had to scramble to a mediocre prelim spot.

Also, just because your LORs are remarked on by other programs about how great they are and how much your home program obviously wants to keep you, that doesn't make it true. My letter writers wrote some great letters (from what I was told), but they didn't want to keep me... at least not enough to rank me above who they did keep. So don't bank on that to keep from scrambling either.

Last thing - most residents I met were pretty happy with where they ended up whether it was in their top choices or not. So, if all else fails, you'll probably be okay anyways. Especially if you end up in your desired field. So apply broadly, go to more interviews than you think you need, rank everything, take boards early, apply early, and you should survive.

This has little to do with PDs and more to do with anything you apply for in the real world. Interviewers for potential jobs will also say, "I'd hire you today, but I have to go through the formality of talking to a few other people" and landlords will say, "I'd give you the apartment, but I should call a few of these other folks back" etc.

Nothing unique here. Applicants tell most every PD that their program $hits excellence and many PDs will say that they'd love to have you here in July. This is the job application dance.

How to behave yourself on interview day

I'm not going to give y'all the usual trite "don't shoot yourself in the foot by being rude to the secretaries blah blah blah" line. Everyone with half a brain knows that. Here are other often overlooked blunders that I saw TONS of applicants doing this season during interview days that made them look TERRIBLE:

Put your phone away. Your job on interviews, from the dinner with the residents all the way through your entire formal interview day, is to pretend that you do not have a SmartPhone, Blackberry, iPhone, whatever. Keep it in your pocket and leave it there. Nothing tells a program "I don't want to be here right now" more than sitting there with your phone out, scrolling through your emails and texts. In the early phase of my interview season (November), when I expected more interview invites after the MSPE release, I usually just pulled out my phone for 30 seconds inside the bathroom during a pee break just to make sure I wasn't missing any pressing interview invites. There, done. Otherwise, I'm not interested in ANY email that reaches my inbox on an interview day, and I'm not taking my phone out. I don't care if the Queen of England is trying to email me and invite me over for Royal Tea.

Know your role. You're an applicant. Yes, you are at the bottom, deal with it. At one of my first interviews of the season, we all watched an applicant pipe up with questions during morning report. When he started naming items on the differential diagnosis for the case, it got funny. When he interrupted a resident who was presenting and asked why they didn't order a lactic acid level, it got even funnier. When he didn't take a hint (resident body language, eyerolls, smirks from the other applicants around him) and still chimed in with questions during the CXR read, it stopped being funny.

Don't ask residents to compare programs. This was always awkward whenever I saw someone else in my tour group do this. In particular, there's no need to use your interview / tour to get dirt on the equally strong residency program across the other side of town. I experienced this at each of my Brigham/MGH/BIDMC interviews - some applicant would always ask the resident if Program X across the road was better/worse than their own. This almost always comes off as "Look how good I am - I got interviews at all these places..." Yeah, ummm, we all did too. So stop it. Secondly, don't invite trash talk from the resident (which reeks of insecurity anyways if that's how they choose to sell their program).
-- Re: Trash Talk - A favorite pastime of many programs I visited this season. Almost everyone was guilty of it, especially on a regional basis. The Midwest ripped on the South. The South ripped on the East Coast programs. The East Coast programs ripped on everyone. Don't take their word for it. Go there and visit that other program and judge it for yourself.

Don't be shy. Especially on some of my larger interview days, I very often saw certain applicants keep to themselves (very often males) and not introducing themselves to others or making small talk. This will SINK your candidacy. Obviously, being naturally outgoing without being a douchebag works to your advantage in a huge way. And for the love of God, when talking to others at your interview day, please talk about something besides school, the city, or where else you interviewed. My favorite interviews were the ones where the other applicants I met were able to make Chris Farley references, joke about pathetic performances by sports teams from the week before, or talk about the concert they went to last year -- just to give a few examples. You're an idiot if you don't think the housestaff and faculty are watching all these interactions and judging you accordingly.

~~ AND ONE MORE THING TO ADD:

Have fun. Last but not least, this process wasn't nearly as stressful as everyone makes it sound. I tried to enjoy just about all of my interview travels and experiences, and I'm certain this helped me relax and perform better. Don't take yourself too seriously, and don't sweat the small stuff. I'll never forget the interview where I was standing around enjoying h'orderves (sp?) with the chief resident, an intern, and another applicant at dinner. Of course I dropped one of them from my plate, which landed face-down on the nice fancy carpet below us. The chief shook her head and said, "Oh, well I guess we won't be accepting YOU into our program anymore." The 4 of us all started laughing.

I'll never forget the interview where I was standing around enjoying h'orderves (sp?) with the chief resident, an intern, and another applicant at dinner. Of course I dropped one of them from my plate, which landed face-down on the nice fancy carpet below us. The chief shook her head and said, "Oh, well I guess we won't be accepting YOU into our program anymore." The 4 of us all started laughing.

As only Bill Murray could say....I want to party with you, cowboy. :D Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

Have Step 2CK in early...

I would say the reality of this is "it depends". Step 2 can be a double edged sword. It often can hurt some people more than help them. If your target specialty is not one that cares about getting Step 2 scores before the match AND if you have a solid Step 1 score, do no take step 2 too early -- it is far more likely to hurt than help you. I know plenty of people who landed spots they might not have if their Step 2 score was part of their application.

So apply broadly, go to more interviews than you think you need, rank everything, take boards early, apply early, and you should survive.

This pretty much sums it up.

I would add - don't be afraid to prepare/practice. I am someone who is naturally on the quieter side and who hates nothing more than talking about myself - so I spent a few hours one weekend writing up answers to 30+ standard interview Q's, as well as coming up with a solid 15-20 Q's to ask on my interview days (split up by those for residents vs. random attending vs. PD). The night before my first 2 or 3 interviews I actually practiced the answers in my hotel room, and it was well worth it - of all the ~24 interviews I did (2 each at 12 programs), there were only 1 or 2 questions that threw me - the rest were some variation of what I prepared for. And I had plenty ready for those people who made the whole interview a "what questions do you have for me" type thing, too. Well worth the time investment if you're not naturally loquacious.

Oh, and I also took ~1 hour the night before each interview to go through the program's entire website, so that I had some program-specific questions ready.

I would say the reality of this is "it depends".

True - but if you are thinking about taking it later, make sure you're not eliminating any programs of interest. As someone mentioned earlier, it is increasingly becoming a requirement by rank time at most California programs, and I think some Boston programs as well.

Oh, and I also took ~1 hour the night before each interview to go through the program's entire website, so that I had some program-specific questions ready.

I did this too. See what they're proud of (every website had an FAQ/what makes us unique/why our residents chose this program), then lob them some softballs, and act reaaaally interested and grateful while they repeat what's on their website. Then hook them with the "zomg that's amazing I've always had an interest in undeserved populations with HIV, that is SO unique I don't think anyone else does it like you guys!! Like, you have a clinic. And you give them da HAARTz. Amazing."

Yes, this process is THAT lame. Accept. Embrace. Match. Think of it as a first date.

I did this too. See what they're proud of (every website had an FAQ/what makes us unique/why our residents chose this program), then lob them some softballs, and act reaaaally interested and grateful while they repeat what's on their website. Then hook them with the "zomg that's amazing I've always had an interest in undeserved populations with HIV, that is SO unique I don't think anyone else does it like you guys!! Like, you have a clinic. And you give them da HAARTz. Amazing."

Yes, this process is THAT lame. Accept. Embrace. Match. Think of it as a first date.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't strip myself to that level of play.

You can take a stand and watch the biggest shmoozers in your class get what they want (as usual), or play to win :)

I would say the reality of this is "it depends". Step 2 can be a double edged sword. It often can hurt some people more than help them. If your target specialty is not one that cares about getting Step 2 scores before the match AND if you have a solid Step 1 score, do no take step 2 too early -- it is far more likely to hurt than help you. I know plenty of people who landed spots they might not have if their Step 2 score was part of their application.

Sure, whatever. Do what feels right. If you made a 260 on Step 1, yeah you probably don't need Step 2. However, most of us don't. Heck, I didn't even take Step 1. Taking Step 2 early in most instances helps, especially if you did as well or better on it. Just have to prep accordingly.

I think aPD brought up a good point about this last year. PDs know that stalling to take your step 2 exam is part of the game you play as an applicant, but it's generally not a well-received tactic. Just get it out of the way in a reasonable fashion so that it's one less thing that is an unknown for the committee to continue harping on. Plus, it's a huge weight off your shoulders and puts you one step closer to actually enjoying 4th year.

also, as important as vacation times are, please dont act like the program owes you a specific amount of vacation time.

and if youre couples matching, by all means tell them that you are, but dont make it seem like youre following your mate around. its a little sad.

send thank you cards to the PD and PC, and emails to the people you meet (residents, secretaries, etc)!!

i was one of those candidates that squealed over my local program and was telling anyone who wanted to hear how much i wanted to be there. I knew I shouldn't have been so vocal and annoying about it, but I genuinely couldn't help myself. I wanted it so badly! I think if you're honest about what you're saying it is very obvious from those people who say it to every program they visit. But definitely be cautious about it.

Last edited:
You can take a stand and watch the biggest shmoozers in your class get what they want (as usual), or play to win :)

On that note - best post from the "F*ck the Match" thread. Written by a kindred soul, quoted for posterity. My bias: I went through match twice. First time was unsuccessful (obviously). The second time I got my #1. It wasn't because of anything I did in between. All I changed was how I played the game.

I might have done some things along the way I once thought were beneath me. Whatever moral debt you think you incur in this profession, pay it back to your patients. They are the only ones you owe anything.

Thank you for seeing the big picture. I'm not advocating being an as*hole or douchebag. I'm one of the nicest, giving people you'll ever meet. My heart is not stone, and it genuinely pains me to hear/see unhappy students/residents in medicine. Alot of times, they were lambs led to slaughter. But you have to remember that there is always a choice. I didn't want to be led to slaughter. So choose to no longer be niave when it comes to medicine and life in general. I've learned to make people earn my respect, my time, and my trust. I've taken my lumps, I've wised up, and I learned to play the game. In this rodeo ride of medicine (and life), I strongly advocate watching your back and looking out for your best interest, and your family's best interest. It's like playing monopoly with people who continually steal money from the bank, and even worse, people who steal money right in front of your face! But instead of becoming a better, more cunning player, you choose to continue to play fair and then bitch when you go bankrupt and lose the game. I've learned to give the system what it gives me, nothing more. I learned to play the game, stop whining about higher moral ground, and stop being brainwashed by PD's, administartors, deans, and attendings that love to throw around words like "professionalism," while they all continue to abuse and lie through their teeth. Not everyone agrees with my stance, and I accept that. But, I worked the system and I'm happy I did. I'm going where I want to go for residency, and I'll be with my family and friends. Internship itself may suck, but everyday I'll be coming home to a loving support system (something you will absolutely need in training and life) and I'll be in a fun city that I, and my family wanted to be in. You can call me everything in the book. You can say "I'm just like them." You can call me a liar, cheat, etc. I just laugh because one thing you'll never be able to call me is unhappy. And to me, that's what matters- my happiness. In the end, happiness makes me a better spouse, parent, and doctor to my patients. And for the people who want my advice, all I can say is stop judging right/wrong, whining, making excuses, and start seeing the big picture. Become better at the game. You get one life- so go out and live it. Peace.

Total agreement. I copy/pasted key parts of the program's website into a short document, printed this out and read in the plane because then I would be prepared to use this info on the dinner to ask questions of interest to me and also would have read up on this crap in case anything last minute came up... Or dinner runs late and I needed to sleep. Besides planes were ill suited for much else including sleep.

Other good thing I did while waiting around in airports was to rate the program and write followup letters.

So, if I want Step 2 to be a factor in whether I get interviews, how early are we talking? I had scheduled mine for August 27th, but I moved it up to July 30th. I can't really move it any earlier than that, because I have the six weeks from mid-June through July to prepare. (And I really wanted to study during nights and weekends during August as well, but I can give those up if I have to.)

So, if I want Step 2 to be a factor in whether I get interviews, how early are we talking? I had scheduled mine for August 27th, but I moved it up to July 30th. I can't really move it any earlier than that, because I have the six weeks from mid-June through July to prepare. (And I really wanted to study during nights and weekends during August as well, but I can give those up if I have to.)

That should be fine, you will get your scores back ~3 wednesdays after your exam date. As long as you get it in by september/early october and resubmit your board scores on ERAS, I'm pretty sure programs will get them and use them to give out interviews.

I know the classic advice is "if you do well on step1, hold back on step2" just in case step2 doesnt' go well. If you've done well on step1 and did fine on your shelf exams, you are probably going to do well on step2, so might as well get it over with AND get credit for it in the interview process. And even if your step1 was something like 260+ and you dropped to 240 on step2, I really don't think programs will respond with "ZOMG bad score!!" (unless you score really low/failed)

tons of great advice here. I will add:

even in FM, an audition rotation can be the kiss of death. If you have a quirky personality and like to say odd things, if you piss off or offend even ONE person, if you take 3 hours to do a straightforward admission, you will hurt your chances. Think of an audition rotation as a month-long interview. You have to be nice to EVERYONE, ALL the time. It is a big deal. It is best for quiet, hardworking people whose excellent personality shines through when you get to know them.

What a great post!

Things I learned along the the ole interview trail:

1. Be honest! (I know this seems evident but if you don't lie you don't have to think.)
2. Don't complain ever; Even about another program, or where you went to school etc.
3. Smile a lot. I feel everyone subconsciously is positively influenced by a smile :) see?
4. Apply Sept 1 even if you don't have all your stuff in (Maybe some help here from Aprog director--I could swear while on an interview one of the people interviewing me was opening my file on ERAS and one of the filters was Applied Sept 1st.
5. Don't, Don't, Don't one up someone. It looks bad when you one up another interviewee but to one up a resident? When I saw this I was stunned.
6. I think stated above but I must restate be nice to the coordinator! I know in my program the coordinator had a huge say in prematching me.
7. Practice interview with a friend to get comfortable with talking about yourself.
8. be sharply on time. one program I got there 20 min early and the coordinator was not there yet; it was so awkward and I felt bad for rushing everyone when they walked in the dept. (I waited outside in the snow after that to walk in my next interviews right on time.)
9. Wear clothes that fit. I was embarrassed for people who were denying the fact that they gained 20 lbs. Not a big deal buy a fitting suit (even second hand)
10. Practice wearing your suit, some people were picking and squirming, purchase for comfort.
11. finally I know it is hard and gets easier as the interviews go along but Relax. Most interviews are easy breezy. I was only asked a couple of hard questions just take a deep breath acknowledge it is a tough question and talk it out.
hope i helped a little:D