This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barelyteething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got accepted into a DDS/PhD Program and extremely excited to start my independent research! However, I am having a difficult time trying to decide the research lab. I'm unsure if my PhD research will matter when I choose a residency. If it does matter, I'm not sure what research topic I should choose because I am leaning towards oral surgery. Any suggestions or keywords I should look for? Honestly, I'm quite clueless about which direction this could be. Also, leaders in the field would be amazing so I can research the papers too.

If it doesn't matter, could I choose stem cell research for regenerative pulp (which is more endo research) and still apply to an oral surgery program (or perio)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should choose the advisor first then choose the research topic. I believe graduating on time is more important than choosing a lab on the basis of research topic interest. Look for an advisor with strong track record of graduating students on time and multiple extramural funding. A research topic of interest will come later rather naturally.

The fact that you are turning to the internet for this kind of question rather than your peers and alum in your own program is slightly concerning especially for a future independent investigator...
As far as I know, I am the only one admitted into the duel program and do not know anyone that has completed the program. I haven't met anyone in my program as I have yet to start. As for peers, I do not know anyone who is experiencing the same thing as me so I cannot poll the people I know. But your answer is a basic PhD answer which I am already looking into.

You should choose a field that you are interested in. Research in bone biology or head and neck cancer would be more relevant than dental pulp stem cells for oral surgery. For now, you should focus on finding a topic you are interested in and a mentor willing to support you. You have no idea what you are going to want to do in 7 years. If you chose to pursue a PhD with the hopes of going into oral surgery, but are interested in dental pulp stem cell therapy, you might want to assess your motivations for a PhD in the first place.

I understand that. from when I met them, I have enjoyed both PIs and am interested in both mentors. But I'm just not sure which one would be a better fit for later down the line because you're correct, I don't know what I will be doing in 7 years. And no, I do not want to pursue a PhD because I want to apply to oral surgery. That would be a waste of time if all I wanted to do was get into an oral surgery residency. It is a potential path which I am considering. I would like to map out different potential career paths. I am just not sure if different research projects will lead me down the same path or not.