DDS/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sks

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can you do the combined DDS/MD program once you are a 3rd year medical student?

Members don't see this ad.

I never heard of a DDS/MD.

Do you mean DDS/DMD?

If so, both are equivalent degrees in dentistry. Dental schools in some states, such as NY, award the DDS. In other states, Massachussets, Pennsylvania, the degree awarded is DMD. Except for the name, they are the same degree.

The only DDS/MD degree that I've heard of is in oral and maxillofacial surgery. It's usually a six year program, that you start after you finish a 4 year dental program. You basically go to med school as an advanced standing 2nd year med student, complete the final 2 years of med school(which is mostly rotations) then 2 years of general surgery residency, then 2 years of maxillofacial surgery residency. Basically 10 years to complete. long time. hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go the oral maxillofacial surgery route after completing med school do you go to dental school for 4 years and then do the residency? Can you do the residency in 4 years instead of 6 since you have already completed med school?

I was the lucky recipient of maxillofacial surgery about ten years ago, and let me tell you, DAMN that was unpleasent! Nothing like six hours of power tools cutting the bones of your face.
wink.gif

Incidentally, my doctor was an MD first, then did a surgery residency, then specialized in oral/maxillofacial surgery. I believe he did get a DDS degree somewhere during that process. He was also a professor at OSU med school, and still is I believe. There is an entire oral surgery center in Columbus, and all the surgeons are MD's and some of them also have their DDS degree. Maybe it's a fellowship kinda thing?