dcw135, pinky, neurogirl...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenMed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And all neuro folks out there...

I've got a question on neurology fellowships, in particular neuro intensive care. My fiance is set on pursuing neurology, and plans to do a residency here with me. However, he is an Australian MD and so will enter on a J-1. If you enter on a J-1 to do a residency, and your residency is 4 years, can you finish up your fellowship on the same visa (the J-1 is for a maximum of 7 years)?:confused:
I've been told by international MDs I've met that this is not possible.

If so, what are the options for pursuing a fellowship abroad, say in the UK? Does Queen Square etc. have critical care fellowships? What UK institutions offer fellowships in this field? I've also heard from that Germany is a great place for NIC. is this true?

Thanks in advance for all replies. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why anyone would say it's not possible to stay here for fellowship. If a J-1 is good for 7 years and residency is 4 yrs, that leaves 3 yrs for fellowship. Most neuro fellowships are only one year. Some are two. I know someone doing a critical care fellowship and it's only one year. Also, I double checked with an attending and he said that is should not be a problem. Hope this helps.:D

Thanks very much for the info, Neurogirl.

I sure hope it'd be possible for him to do his fellowship straight off. What I'd heard though was that the J1 is offered for residency training, after which you have to leave the country for a minimum of 2 years before you can reapply to return for a fellowship. It'd be ridiculous to do that. We're the only (or one of the very few places) advanced enough that you can actually do a fellowship in such a specialized area. I'm sure there are no such fellowships in Australia.

I hope you're right, Neurogirl. BTW, if you don't mind, what institution do you train at? I'll understand if you consider this too personal though. :) Thanks again.