Dawning on me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hermeone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Urgh
confirm. I do have depression which has gone untreated for 3 years.

I am receiving therapy now.

Also, don't know if my schedule for next quarter is decent or not.
If I asked my doctor, he would ask me to take time off but I don't want to do that. I must apply next year so I need to get all those prerequisites completed

SO here's my schedule (doable or not, pls give some comments)

Asian philosophies (5 credit hours)
biochemistry (5 credit hours)
advanced physiology and cell biology (5 credit hours)
physical chemistry (3 credit hours)
Japanese language (2 credit hours)

Two concurrent research jobs.

I am on a quarter system.
My scheudle is better than any quarter I had before but I need some comments from you. I don't know if I still have tehleast bit of sanity in me or not

Members don't see this ad.

Oi! Nihongo shabereru kai?

You are a bit of a masochist. P-chem and biochem simultaneously is a recipe for disaster. Japanese is not an easy language by any stretch of the imagination. If you've already taken some, you know what I mean. Asian philosphies, okay fine, not to problematic. Ad-cell/physio on top of everything else, you are out of your mind. If you are undergoing treatment for depression, this schedule is NOT going to make anything better. You might think that taking all of this will get your mind off it it but that's actually on the case. If anything, you're going to crash and burn and make your depression even worse. So, unless you're a rocket scientist, I'd put some more "fluff" courses in and lay off the hard science. (P-chem was never a req for med schools as far I can remember). I'm not even going to start talking about your research jobs. So yeah, PM me if you want to talk more.

doushi.te rainen moushikomanai wake ni wa ikanai no?

Or if you're not far enough advanced in Japanese: why do you have to apply next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
That schedule seems a little ridiculous, Herm. You don't HAVE to take 5 classes do you? AND two jobs? Come on now. Ease up.

I can't say "do it" or "don't do it," that's for you to decide.

Also, keep in mind that these classes are most likely going to be geographically spread out around campus, and none of them are REQUIRED classes for med school.

Winter at Ohio State is a crappy time to be wandering around campus in a foot of snow. HOWEVER, if you CAN handle this schedule, winter quarter would be the one to do it.

I kind of feel that if you keep pushing depression further down, it will just pop up later, and probably more severe than if you deal with it now. One extra year is honestly not a big deal. I started at OSU in Autumn 1997 and just graduated yesterday.

Go to Bento Go Go's Sake Lounge. It's the only bar worth going to on campus anymore.

-NS

(this post is quite disjointed. I miss caffeine)

Alright, I need some self-control here now. after reading your posts, I dropped japanese language and physical chemistry. That leaves me with 3 classes and 2 research jobs. I told my prof/supervisor, I will be working 5 hours a week and that is it. So a total of 10 for both.

I know very well, I need to relax and get this stupid illness away.
Now, I don't even trust my doctor.

Oh Notshorty, are you a lurker? Strange but I have not seen you post anything in the allo site for a long time. thanks for teh advice anyway. YOu have graduated? I was at the graduation, what department were you in again?

I don't go to bars only Pochi Tea Station or the Brothers (not anymore now)

Crystal, thank you too.

Hermeone, I've had to deal with depression and getting my work done. Cutting yourself some slack right now is a REALLY good idea. If you have to, you could probably use summer session to make up some of it, couldn't you? Otherwise, an extra year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's definitely worth your mental health.

Has your doctor suggested medication? If you're under pressure to perform, it could really help. Some people can maintain high GPAs with depression, but I think it takes its toll. And no matter how well you do with depression, you'd do 10x better without it.

Feel free to pm me anytime if you want to talk about it.

Just concerned about you :) I think it's a good idea you dropped those 2; good luck and have a wonderful break!!

another masochist or I mean workaholic.
Why? should the OP drop japanese?
I think it is a good idea.
I hope you feel better this break Hermeone. :)

I loved Japanese. I'd drop physio for that. That's just me. I'm not a workaholic, but Japanese was never that hard for me until I got to 3rd year second semester.

Depression really sucks, but good that nowadays there are more treatment for it.

I think 20 quarter units is way too many. I usually do 12-16 units a quarter.

Originally posted by Rendar5
I loved Japanese. I'd drop physio for that. That's just me. I'm not a workaholic, but Japanese was never that hard for me until I got to 3rd year second semester.

I have to agree with Rendar. Japanese is something you might find interesting/fun. Good move on the p-chem, especially if it's quantum (as opposed to thermo). You're going to learn physio in med school anyway but you're not going to have a chance to do Japanese. Besides, stacking up the science courses can get really tedious. I'm speaking from experience. I did a similar thing one semester, taking all science/pre-med type courses and I can honestly say that I was never more miserable during my college career. It was so bad that it CAUSED me to go find a counselor.

I took biochem and pchem at the same time and it was doable. I agree with the previous poster, japanese can be a nice diversion from all the other sci courses, but japanese is a hard language to learn. Wow, wish I could take japanese.

I had a hell of semester with 5 sci classes and believe me, it is not fun.

Uh, hello - to the last few people who posted - our friend is clinically depressed and none of your "oh but Japanese is fun!" logic is going to do her any good, and sure two science classes is doable but HELLO, our girl is depressed here....which makes the difference between "doable" and "sheer hell" barely discernable -
Hermeone, I'm proud of you. Take care of yourself and f these gunners that doubt your decision. You're doing the right thing.

gunner? what the hell. If taking 2 credits of a foreign language over 5 credits of a med school course makes me a gunner? I guess I am. strange, I thought taking an easier and funner route would be the opposite.

And I wasn't questioning her decisions. I was just saying what I would rather do (and for me Japanese was one of the easier courses I took until I got to 3rd year when it did become difficult).

How are you doing in your extracurriculars? Not necessarily activities you use to show off on your app/resume, but something that you honestly like doing. You might find it helpful to take time out of your regular schedule to do something other than work yourself over.

As the above posters suggested, summer quarter or an extra year would probably help more than hurt you.

I think my eCs' are ok, not something great. Those typical ones

-I play electone and I play in every Yamaha annual concerts and competition.
-play archery(hobby) and ice skate for fun
-worked in an opthalmologist clinic for a year
-worked in an acupuncturist clinic for a year
-peer advocated for total health in school
-a year of hospital volunteer
-teach music to kids during summer/prepare them for yamaha music exam/ABRSM exams
-two research jobs (about 2 years now for each)

Thanks everyone for your concern. I am trying to adjust to my new life. I think I am getting better now but still, I don't trust that doctor.

I didn't read the last post clearly.

I see. I am listening to music and play them on the electone through memory to ease my mind.
I wish I can play archer but it's too cold out there