Dattoli in trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This is the guy who used to (maybe still does) claim he invented IGRT. Kind of like how Al Gore invented the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the guy who used to (maybe still does) claim he invented IGRT. Kind of like how Al Gore invented the internet.
Wait, Dattoli did that too? I thought that was Lederman?

1639739571628.png

Jokes aside, @medgator has a point. I don't know him personally, and this story seems like a guy with an addiction (if true).

Can I claim to invent IGRT too?

Oh wow. I feel sad for Mike. They are getting him on fraudulent scripts (he wrote a few Valium scripts for himself but in his wife’s name), fraudulent ID (he used his drivers license at the Walgreens or whatever) and insurance fraud (each script was like $25 and he probably had to pay a $10 copay so he defrauded Blue Cross out of like $90 total maybe over several scripts). Then they bring his wife in for harsh questioning and she cracks under pressure. And why is the guy who worked for him for five years who plowed through the Florida prescription database to find dirt on Mike the so called “victim.”

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
yeah im a bit confused - sounds like he just wrote less than 5 prescriptions? why was this worth their time?

Reactions: 2 users
Rather than embarrassing him in the news... why not just get him some help?

Reactions: 3 users
The story is a bit confusing. I interpreted this (likely incorrectly ?) that he used the 'victim's' DEA and license # to write the Rx for his wife and then grabbed the drugs for himself.

Either way, addiction is a serious illness and I wish the best for whomever in his family may be suffering from it.

Oh wow. I feel sad for Mike. They are getting him on fraudulent scripts (he wrote a few Valium scripts for himself but in his wife’s name), fraudulent ID (he used his drivers license at the Walgreens or whatever) and insurance fraud (each script was like $25 and he probably had to pay a $10 copay so he defrauded Blue Cross out of like $90 total maybe over several scripts). Then they bring his wife in for harsh questioning and she cracks under pressure. And why is the guy who worked for him for five years who plowed through the Florida prescription database to find dirt on Mike the so called “victim.”
I’m not sure the money is the issue?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure the money is the issue?
Oh for sure it's not the issue but that may be the monetary extent of the "insurance fraud charge"... based on the EXTREME amount of information I can glean from reading a news report lol
The story is a bit confusing. I interpreted this (likely incorrectly ?) that he used the 'victim's' DEA and license # to write the Rx for his wife and then grabbed the drugs for himself.
I am surprised at how many practicing docs don't bother with DEA anymore. They just only write scripts for non-controlled substances. I thought you had to have a DEA to write an Rx for Augmentin but evidently not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh for sure it's not the issue but that may be the monetary extent of the "insurance fraud charge"... based on the EXTREME amount of information I can glean from reading a news report lol

I am surprised at how many practicing docs don't bother with DEA anymore. They just only write scripts for non-controlled substances. I thought you had to have a DEA to write an Rx for Augmentin but evidently not?
Unless your state requires it via a 6th controlled substance layer, you don’t need it for non controlled since you can just use NPI.

I keep mine as a rad because of the rare event I need to do conscious sedation. And it’s paid for by the workplace.

If we had an in-house pain service or something, I'd gladly give mine up.

e-prescribing a narc is like a 10-minute, 3-device, 75-keystroke affair.

EDIT: All of this is moderate hyperbole.

If we had an in-house pain service or something, I'd gladly give mine up.

e-prescribing a narc is like a 10-minute, 3-device, 75-keystroke affair.

EDIT: All of this is moderate hyperbole.

5 minutes and 2 devices, but otherwise 100% true, especially with PDMP checking, etc. etc.

On topic - unforunate to hear about this situation. Hope he gets the help he needs.

You’re from Ohio aren’t you?

Ohio folks love their Blantons.

But yes, bourbon is the king whiskey.

And… yes Buffalo Trace is the king distiller of bourbon, but their **** is too hard to find these days. I remember “discovering” a mid/bottom shelf value whiskey call Eagle Rare on the grocery shelf for $24 a bottle 15 years ago. Could buy cases of it. I haven’t seen a bottle of it locally for years. I know it comes, but it’s gone in an hour. Not the BTAC stuff. Just the basic.

Ditto EH Taylor. I grabbed a few bottles of the barrel proof like 10 years ago from the grocery store right before the bourbon craze really hit hard. It was $65 and amazing. Damned if I’ve seen any Taylor on the shelf for the last 5.

So for now, it’s Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for a powerhouse and a pretty darned good California Bourbon called Redwood Empire as a more frequent sipper. Can never go wrong with Wild Turkey 101, though.
I’ve been digging Knobb Creek lately

Agree.... I think a lot of it is just the story, the scarcity and collectability (the bottle toppers are pretty cool looking).

Went traveling internationally and found a big cache in duty free on the way back, as i sometimes have trouble finding it locally. Cashier mentioned how popular it is and they usually don't keep it in stock long. Picked up a few as Christmas gifts

Edit: please let me know @evilbooyaa @Neuronix if our bourbon banter is OT or needs a separate thread 😀
I think, given the initiating post of this thread, a bourbon discussion is incredibly on-topic, yes?

5 minutes and 2 devices, but otherwise 100% true, especially with PDMP checking, etc. etc.

On topic - unforunate to hear about this situation. Hope he gets the help he needs.

This was actually the one epic update that saves me time. PDMp automatically queried by EMR. Life changing.

Not that I write many narcs, but a lot of one pill Valium scripts for vasectomies.

I was talking to a rich physicist last night. Up until one year ago, the rich physicist was doing consulting work at Dattoli's. Some stuff that was seen: taking simulation films on multiple consecutive days but then dating and billing the films weeks apart... in commissioning machines, the clinic's physicist would be just writing in values for commissioning instead of measuring values... giving few cGy (like literally <0.1 Gy) per fraction EBRT boosts after EBRT+brachy w/ medical necessity of "sensitization"... and so on. The rich physicist quit working w/ Dattoli because Dattoli began not paying for consulting on time as agreed or not at all.

• Wow
I was talking to a rich physicist last night. Up until one year ago, the rich physicist was doing consulting work at Dattoli's. Some stuff that was seen: taking simulation films on multiple consecutive days but then dating and billing the films weeks apart... in commissioning machines, the clinic's physicist would be just writing in values for commissioning instead of measuring values... giving few cGy (like literally <0.1 Gy) per fraction EBRT boosts after EBRT+brachy w/ medical necessity of "sensitization"... and so on. The rich physicist quit working w/ Dattoli because Dattoli began not paying for consulting on time as agreed or not at all.

yeah this is what he shoud be going to jail for or paying fines for.

the govt got him on an Al Capone scenario with the prescriptions

not that I am a fan of his, but this seems excessively trumped up and does not justify jail or full police investigation.

heard the same

How does a shop like this not have a whistleblower on the fraud?

If he got rich blowing the whistle on a different shady coastal FL practice, why is he still doing consulting work?? Maybe trying to hit the qui tam lottery twice?

Dattoli was an idiot if he let him do consulting work there without knowing his background lol

• Haha
If he got rich blowing the whistle on a different shady coastal FL practice, why is he still doing consulting work?? Maybe trying to hit the qui tam lottery twice?

Dattoli was an idiot if he let him do consulting work there without knowing his background lol
Totally inviting fox into hen house. Alas many chickens not smart, don't Google things, etc.

• Haha
“Florida man…”

this thread really is just so indicative of Florida free standing Rad Onc. You'll never find a bigger gang of grifters lol. its wild what some poor patients will never know.

this thread really is just so indicative of Florida free standing Rad Onc. You'll never find a bigger gang of grifters lol. its wild what some poor patients will never know.
Florida has nothing on upenn/mdacc and their proton centers. Never heard of dattoli and his ilk trashing rectums or charging tens of thousands of pts 300k. You are telling me that dattoli is a bigger grifter than Steve frank? You are basically saying that high powered suave bernie Madoff type is superior to carnival barkers. I am not so sure.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
something tells me there are definitely trashing of rectums going down in the seedy underworld of florida rad onc.

Last edited:
This did strike me as really strange from the get go.

Many practices have preprinted prescription pads that all the docs use.

Here’s my bet.

1. Dattoli writes a few Four pill scripts for Valium for trans Atlantic flights. Maybe using his wife’s name.

2. Dattoli pisses off an associate whose name is on said scripts. Likely business/money/partnership related. Or associate has ambitions to be owner.

3. Associate turns in Dattoli as retribution.

Three Valium scripts sounds really suspect as some criminal enterprise or addiction issue.

Last edited:
That said, I have also heard business practices at this clinic are indeed quite shady. So I guess if they don’t get you coming, they’ll get you going.

This did strike me as really strange from the get go.

Many practices have preprinted prescription pads that all the docs use.

Here’s my bet.

1. Dattoli writes a few Four pill scripts for Valium for trans Atlantic flights. Maybe using his wife’s name.

2. Dattoli pisses off an associate whose name is on said scripts. Likely business/money/partnership related. Or associate has ambitions to be owner.

3. Associate turns in Dattoli as retribution.

Three Valium scripts sounds really suspect as some criminal enterprise or addition issue.
bingo (probably!)

That said, I have also heard business practices at this clinic are indeed quite shady. So I guess if they don’t get you coming, they’ll get you going.
agree that this is probably the DA scratching the surface before handing this and bigger charges off to OIG, feds, etc.

Okay, so I get what you’re saying, but I think people are veering into Grisham novel territory. How can they go from bad RXs to overdoing it with the fractions? I dunno… but I do think my hot take at beginning was off.. this whole thing is wacky.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Okay, so I get what you’re saying, but I think people are veering into Grisham novel territory. How can they go from bad RXs to overdoing it with the fractions? I dunno… but I do think my hot take at beginning was off.. this whole thing is wacky.
If there's one thing none of us needs, it's Florida.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

will be interesting to see what else they uncover if he is blatantly doing small fry stuff like this in the open

"This is not the first time Dattoli has been in trouble with police in Sarasota County. He was charged in Longboat Key in 2015 after shoplifting eight items from a Publix Super Market. In that case, court records say the store manager saw Dattoli enter the store with empty bags, fill them and leave.

When confronted outside the store, according to the police report, he told the store manager, “I don’t have time for this” and left the items. Among the products in the bag were So Del Ice Cream, asparagus and Just for Men hair dye.

The store manager was able to identify the doctor from pictures on the Dattoli Cancer website and told police “he has done the same thing on two other occasions.”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

will be interesting to see what else they uncover if he is blatantly doing small fry stuff like this in the open

"This is not the first time Dattoli has been in trouble with police in Sarasota County. He was charged in Longboat Key in 2015 after shoplifting eight items from a Publix Super Market. In that case, court records say the store manager saw Dattoli enter the store with empty bags, fill them and leave.

When confronted outside the store, according to the police report, he told the store manager, “I don’t have time for this” and left the items. Among the products in the bag were So Del Ice Cream, asparagus and Just for Men hair dye.

The store manager was able to identify the doctor from pictures on the Dattoli Cancer website and told police “he has done the same thing on two other occasions.”
Ice cream
Asparagus
Hair dye

That’s one kinky party

Ice cream
Asparagus
Hair dye

That’s one kinky party
Weird scenario. He's so entitled/oblivious as he's in a rush to get these things. Then, he's in even more of a rush such that he no longer has the time to get them. I guess they made do back at the crib, but presumably the golden shower didn't smell the way he had originally planned.

• Haha
Weird scenario. He's so entitled/oblivious as he's in a rush to get these things. Then, he's in even more of a rush such that he no longer has the time to get them. I guess they made do back at the crib, but presumably the golden shower didn't smell the way he had originally planned.

No, I see a pathological liar / personality disorder type of situation

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe he was high on prescient drugs at the time. I’m either case, this guy seems like the shady types.