Dating/bng single during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ecoastcaligirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of ob residents who have dated/ met someone/ got married to someone they met during residency? Or can we expect the next 4 years to be a black hole? I've already heard the comments from various residents (mostly already married) who have said its hard, they can't imagine being able to date someone new, and the always lovely comments about how they are really glad "they have someone to go home to". What are the rest of us to do??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

On my OB rotations, I've talked to plenty of the residents who were dating the residents in the other departments (esp ER and surgery) or guys family/friends have introduced. I think it maybe hard with the schedule but hopefully do-able!

Hey we are specializing in the reproductive system so I think finding relationships or at least finding a "study buddy" shouldn't be too hard! lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
all u have to do is say "hi I am a doctor"....

I met my boyfriend when I did my off-service rotation in the ER (he's an ER intern). I think a lot of OB residents meet people when they're on off-service rotaitons. It's definitely possible to meet and date people, both at work or through outside friends. Coordinating schedules can be tough, but if it's important to you'll make it work!

Does anyone know of ob residents who have dated/ met someone/ got married to someone they met during residency? Or can we expect the next 4 years to be a black hole? I've already heard the comments from various residents (mostly already married) who have said its hard, they can't imagine being able to date someone new, and the always lovely comments about how they are really glad "they have someone to go home to". What are the rest of us to do??? :confused:

Ha ha, this also concerns me. Even though the male-female ratio in the average OB/GYN residency will be in my favour, my suspicion is that it won't help. I'm a 2nd year in med school right now, and everyone's married or engaged. That's just going to get worse the older we get. I'm hoping for one of 3 things:
1.) Better luck on internet dating
2.) Meet some cute nurse
3.) Arranged marriage/Russian Mail-Order Bride
(Obviously not totally serious)

Hey Messerschmitts,

How about adding to your list:

4. Asking your laboring patient out inbetween pushes. :) (just kidding, hold your attacks!)

I just engaged to an ob/gyn, and we are having problems, mostly about me not understanding enough. I need some advice.

Well, you seem to know the solution yourself....you need to understand better?
Having said that, I also believe your fiance needs to understand your needs too. I suggest 2 books that will change your relationship :

1. For Him Only
2. For Her Only

A lot of us are clueless when it comes to relationships as we are from different planets. We perceive things differently for eg., guys need their "cave time" - time alone with no distractions. Whereas gals need to talk talk and talk to get wind down. Also gals are never secure about the relationships and guys find it absurd when there is no reason to doubt! A lot of good stuff in there. And no, I am not the author, just an Ob Gyn :)
Dr. Love

Well, you seem to know the solution yourself....you need to understand better?
Having said that, I also believe your fiance needs to understand your needs too. I suggest 2 books that will change your relationship :

1. For Him Only
2. For Her Only

A lot of us are clueless when it comes to relationships as we are from different planets. We perceive things differently for eg., guys need their "cave time" - time alone with no distractions. Whereas gals need to talk talk and talk to get wind down. Also gals are never secure about the relationships and guys find it absurd when there is no reason to doubt! A lot of good stuff in there. And no, I am not the author, just an Ob Gyn :)
Dr. Love

Is there ever dating amongst ob/gyns? Or is the ratio to skewed for that?

One of my classmates met a male OB/GYN resident on her clerkship, they started dating after she finished, they got engaged a year later, and are getting married after she graduates. So you can always pick up med students ;)

(just maybe after you submit their evaluations)