DAT vs GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucrs

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning to take either the DAT or the GRE and wanted to get some of your opinions on these exams. which one is alittle easier? is there anyone who took both? I hear that the chemistry subject test is pretty hard, especially the Pchem section. Im kinda worried about taking this cuz i am a non-science major and ochem will be the highest chem class i'll take. i know that alot of people here think that the MCAT is the only test that pre-pods should take, but as of this moment, I am horrible at physics and am sure that i will bomb the MCAT because of this. any opinions would be appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ucrs said:
Im planning to take either the DAT or the GRE and wanted to get some of your opinions on these exams. which one is alittle easier? is there anyone who took both? I hear that the chemistry subject test is pretty hard, especially the Pchem section. Im kinda worried about taking this cuz i am a non-science major and ochem will be the highest chem class i'll take. i know that alot of people here think that the MCAT is the only test that pre-pods should take, but as of this moment, I am horrible at physics and am sure that i will bomb the MCAT because of this. any opinions would be appreciated. thanks

i have heard that a lower score on the dat is better to have than a lower score on the GRE. I am just preparing to take the dat, and the chemisty is only through organic one (not super in depth). no physics, no pchem! there is a math section and whats called PAT which is like a survey of spacial apptitude. it sounds like you might be a little better prepared for the dat.

Take sample test for both and find out which you are better at.

55th percentile for GRE and 17 for DAT are acceptable from what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither test has physics, so rest assured that you will be fine. But I would suggest brushing up on your physics b/c it is important when you get into school.

One thing to think about is the GRE is the general GRE, so you will have reasoning, language and math tests. The DAT, correct me if I am wrong, is more science oriented similar to the MCAT but w/o the physical science.

One other thing to think about is I do not believe all of the pod schools accept the DAT. You might limit your choices by taking the DAT and not the GRE.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Neither test has physics, so rest assured that you will be fine. But I would suggest brushing up on your physics b/c it is important when you get into school.

One thing to think about is the GRE is the general GRE, so you will have reasoning, language and math tests. The DAT, correct me if I am wrong, is more science oriented similar to the MCAT but w/o the physical science.

One other thing to think about is I do not believe all of the pod schools accept the DAT. You might limit your choices by taking the DAT and not the GRE.

NYCPM typically does not accept the GRE except in very extenuating circumstances.

Just take the MCAT - be a man ;)

I would have to agree you really should take the MCAT. I took both the DAT and the MCAT and did better on the MCAT! Even if you do not perform as well on the MCAT as you might on the GRE I think most schools respect the fact that you took it. I know the GRE is not preferred at DMU either.

I've got to agree. I would take the MCAT. Schools respect a lower score on the MCAT than a medicore score on the GRE; they know how difficult the MCAT is.

I took the DAT and I got interveiws at pretty much all the schools except for chicago. Being that Im from los angeles and used to sunny and warm weather, i didnt lose any sleep over it. The DAT in my opinion is a cake walk compared to the MCAT. Why would you want to kill youself with the MCAT when u can just take the DAT. I studied for the DAT for 1 month and a half about 5 hrs a day. I took only 2 Diags and did a ton of hw problems from princeton reveiw. My score on the DAT was a 19 academic avg including a 25 in ochem. Most of the schools dont even care about the perceptual portion. In fact, 2 of my buddies are taking the DAT in hopes to get into san francisco like me. My advice, if schools dont care about you taking the mcat, then why take it?

lafootdoc said:
I took the DAT and I got interveiws at pretty much all the schools except for chicago. Being that Im from los angeles and used to sunny and warm weather, i didnt lose any sleep over it. The DAT in my opinion is a cake walk compared to the MCAT. Why would you want to kill youself with the MCAT when u can just take the DAT. I studied for the DAT for 1 month and a half about 5 hrs a day. I took only 2 Diags and did a ton of hw problems from princeton reveiw. My score on the DAT was a 19 academic avg including a 25 in ochem. Most of the schools dont even care about the perceptual portion. In fact, 2 of my buddies are taking the DAT in hopes to get into san francisco like me. My advice, if schools dont care about you taking the mcat, then why take it?

Gotta learn that physics sometime....remember, biomechanics is a big part of our curriculum. But to answer your question, I took the GRE and thought it was a joke. I also took the MCAT. With some help, you could conquer that physics section I am sure. Work hard. It will pay off.

The rumor around is that, with the many changes being made to the MCAT, most schools are going to start accepting only the MCAT. I am in 100% agreement with this.

jonwill said:
The rumor around is that, with the many changes being made to the MCAT, most schools are going to start accepting only the MCAT. I am in 100% agreement with this.

That is true, but I can understand using the loopholes while they are still around. I don't fault the student, I fault the system.

thanks alot for your responses...this forum is so helpful. Im gonna have to think about this because i won't apply until next year.

ucrs said:
thanks alot for your responses...this forum is so helpful. Im gonna have to think about this because i won't apply until next year.

Next year might be that last year to take the GRE/DAT b/c the changes to the MCATs (increase availability) will go into effect in 2007.

ucrs said:

In my opinion, I think you should think about trying to take the MCAT.. they would see that you are a nonscience major and still tried to take it and do your best.
The MCAT is not about how much you have study for the test. Although your background in science is a plus...It's all about PREPARATION :thumbup: . You should definetely take a practice MCAT (real setting, not a practice exam online) and get ready to read, read, and read, and keep composure at all times. If you can't do this, then you won't do a good performance.

On the other hand, if you really want to take the DAT or GRE...you should definetely take the DAT. Here you have the option of more general math, and conceptual abilities...it is way better to take the DAT and get a low score in comparsion to the GRE.

Best of Luck :luck:

Does admissions accept the OAT(Optometry Admission Test)? It is the same test as the DAT, except the OAT has physics instead of the perceptual test.

I understand not a lot people who take the OAT would apply to Podiatry school, but it should be an option if admissions accept the DAT.

MurrayButler said:
Gotta learn that physics sometime....remember, biomechanics is a big part of our curriculum. But to answer your question, I took the GRE and thought it was a joke. I also took the MCAT. With some help, you could conquer that physics section I am sure. Work hard. It will pay off.

What kind of physics is used in Podiatry? Statics?
Also, how much physics can a POD use in helping a patients biomechanics?

I absolutely love physics, and like the idea of being able to use it to help people.

doclm said:
What kind of physics is used in Podiatry? Statics?
Also, how much physics can a POD use in helping a patients biomechanics?

I absolutely love physics, and like the idea of being able to use it to help people.

Has anyone heard of Podiatrists developing prosthetics? Or doing research on prosthetics? I know that Dr. Armstrong at Scholl is working on intelligent orthotic soles. Personally, I believe there is a lot of room for advancement in prosthetics for patients that had their lower limbs amputated.

doclm said:
Has anyone heard of Podiatrists developing prosthetics? Or doing research on prosthetics? I know that Dr. Armstrong at Scholl is working on intelligent orthotic soles. Personally, I believe there is a lot of room for advancement in prosthetics for patients that had their lower limbs amputated.

Might be something for you to look into. If you love physics, biomechanics and engineering give it a go. Personally, it is out of my league.

Also, what the hell do you need intelligent orthotics for? OTC inserts work fine. Custom mades are already expensive enough; those stupid things will cost $10K. Personally, I think there are a lot of things that need to be researched before that.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Might be something for you to look into. If you love physics, biomechanics and engineering give it a go. Personally, it is out of my league.

Also, what the hell do you need intelligent orthotics for? OTC inserts work fine. Custom mades are already expensive enough; those stupid things will cost $10K. Personally, I think there are a lot of things that need to be researched before that.

:laugh: Yeah, I used the wrong terms, intelligent insoles.

"Dr. Armstrong’s research team is also exploring the use of intelligent insoles, which can identify areas of high pressure and temperature, and notify both the patient and caregiver."

Podiatry Today - ISSN: 1045-7860 - Volume 17 - Issue 9 - September 2004 - Pages: 6 - 10

I guess that their formula for neuropathic diabetic foot ulceration is:
Pressure x Cycles of repetitive stress

So possibly they may able to make insoles for these types of patients?

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/8/1980

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

what score do I need for DAT or MCAT? and what is the acceptable GPA to get in at least 3-4 school
thank u

red mice said:
what score do I need for DAT or MCAT? and what is the acceptable GPA to get in at least 3-4 school
thank u

since this is your first post and I am unsure if you are a troll (just being honestly suspicious) please look at the aacpm website for averages over the past 4 years. only the MCAT is listed. I do not know how the DAT is even scored.

www.aacpm.org

krabmas said:
since this is your first post and I am unsure if you are a troll (just being honestly suspicious) please look at the aacpm website for averages over the past 4 years. only the MCAT is listed. I do not know how the DAT is even scored.

www.aacpm.org
DAT is for losers... oops and dental students :laugh:

Hahaha... "the KRAB" is on da loose, huh? Dispelling words of wisdom :laugh: ;)