DAT (Science) Time Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaghsou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'll be taking my DAT in mid-July and wanted an answer on my question from someone who has recently taken the DAT. I know that there will be 90 minutes allotted to the 100 Science questions, but do you get all the questions at once or you have to complete one section in a set amount of time before you more to the next section. In other words, is the science section broken down to 3, 30 minute sections for Bio, G. Chem, and O. Chem or all three sections presented at once? Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to any helpful response!

Members don't see this ad.

All at once

Reactions: 1 users
All at once

this is a good thing because if you have sections that require you a lot less time than allotted, you can use that time for another section.
I don't know if everyone felt the same about their science section, but I felt that it was extremely basic level type of questions and when I was done with all 100 questions, with the exception of 1~2 I marked and skipped, I had 40 minutes left. Spent about 5 minutes on deducing the best answer for them. After that, I took a long bathroom break. I sat out in the lobby in the most comfortable way you can imagine, eating snickers bar and drinking powerade.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it's all at once, so if one section is far easier than the others, you have extra time to finish the others. The time limit on most practice exams are just to get you accustomed for the worst possible outcome.

For example I finished all my gen chem in 15 minutes, this left me an extra 15 minutes for the other sections.

Yes it's all at once, so if one section is far easier than the others, you have extra time to finish the others. The time limit on most practice exams are just to get you accustomed for the worst possible outcome.

For example I finished all my gen chem in 15 minutes, this left me an extra 15 minutes for the other sections.
Thank you so much! Im worried about the time factor of the G. Chem section. What is your overall thoughts on it? Obviously every test is different but are there more conceptual based material than calculations since a calculator is not allowed?

Thank you so much! Im worried about the time factor of the G. Chem section. What is your overall thoughts on it? Obviously every test is different but are there more conceptual based material than calculations since a calculator is not allowed?
i did have calculations and but they were for the most part basic save one or two. But compared to something like DBC or dat destroyer the numbers will be much easier. Just make sure you utilize those two resources and you will be good.

i did have calculations and but they were for the most part basic save one or two. But compared to something like DBC or dat destroyer the numbers will be much easier. Just make sure you utilize those two resources and you will be good.

very basic calculations that can easily be done in your head for the most part. Even the QR section, I didn't have to use calc for most problems.
I only used it for which is the largest? 7/8, 24/25, 13/14, 15/16 type of question.

Thank you! Any last study suggestions you could give me? I'm 1 week in (out of my 10 week plan). Kind of freaking out.

Thank you! Any last study suggestions you could give me? I'm 1 week in (out of my 10 week plan). Kind of freaking out.

Take notes of anything you don't understand. It helps you memorize the concepts better. Also don't kill yourself studying, I studied for the most part 4 to 5 hours a day. If I needed a break I took it. Some days I put in more work, some days less. You can look at my DAT breakdown to see some of my comments on it.

Goodluck! Work hard and you will do well.

Take notes of anything you don't understand. It helps you memorize the concepts better. Also don't kill yourself studying, I studied for the most part 4 to 5 hours a day. If I needed a break I took it. Some days I put in more work, some days less. You can look at my DAT breakdown to see some of my comments on it.

Goodluck! Work hard and you will do well.
I appreciate it. I've been taking a lot of notes! That makes me feel better! Can you send the link to your thread? Thanks again