DAT Review Question Help - answer seems wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with this question? The answer and explanation seem backward to me.

Which of the following produce the most ATP:
I. Glycolysis
II. Kreb's Cycle
III. Electron Transport Chain

The answer is II. But then in the explanation it says the Kreb's cycle doesn't produce ATP directly. The ETC produces the ATP from NADH and FADH2 made in the Kreb's cycle.

What's the right answer?

Members don't see this ad.

jabeck74 said:
Can someone help me with this question? The answer and explanation seem backward to me.

Which of the following produce the most ATP:
I. Glycolysis
II. Kreb's Cycle
III. Electron Transport Chain

The answer is II. But then in the explanation it says the Kreb's cycle doesn't produce ATP directly. The ETC produces the ATP from NADH and FADH2 made in the Kreb's cycle.

What's the right answer?

Where is this question from? There are a lot of practice DAT questions out there that are full of errors. Barrons DAT book is an example.

BeatValley said:
Where is this question from? There are a lot of practice DAT questions out there that are full of errors. Barrons DAT book is an example.

This question is from KSF review.

jabeck74 said:
This question is from KSF review.
I don't know anything about KSF review. One thing for sure is that the question is incredibly ambiguous and vague. I would have picked ETC. I don't think you should worry too much about it though, its just a really bad question, with a really bad answer, with a worse explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are both correct....
The single greatest direct source of ATP in the cell is the electron transport chain. The Krebs cycle does occur in the matrix of the mitochondria and oxidative phosphorylation (the electron transport chain) occurs in the
inner membrane. The final product of glycolysis is pyruvate, which is converted into acetyl coA for use in the Krebs cycle. Citrate is an intermediate in this cycle (it is the first molecule formed; another term for the Krebs cycle is the Citric Acid cycle). The Krebs cycle only forms two ATP directly, all of the other ATPs that are formed are produced by oxidative phosphorylation (the nucleotides NADH and FADH2 donate their electrons to the electron transport chain).

in general, substate level phosphorylation (glycolysis & citric acid cycle) yields little ATP and oxidative phosphorylation (electron transport chain) yields a lot more ATP.