DAT RC vs MCAT verbal reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, do you know if it will be useful to use Mcat verbal to study for Dat reading comprehension? Are they similar?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, the DAT RC is easier than the MCAT one, at least the Canadian one. I studied for the MCAT in 2012 and found that the questions had a lot of inferential questions and made you really analyze the passage. Also, the MCAT passage topics seemed really random at times (I remember a passage about different types of knots). The real DAT passages were more closely related health sciences. To study for my DAT RC, I used DAT Bootcamp and Crack the DAT. I did a practice test every 2nd day for the last 2.5 weeks and ended up with 21 on the real DAT. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to use the MCAT study material, but I just didn't want to risk it since this was a weak spot for me.

I got a 124 (48th percentile) on the new MCAT, and a 26 (98.7th percentile) on the DAT

But this is just a single instance, so take it with a grain of salt. To answer your question–no, i don't think it would be beneficial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, do you know if it will be useful to use Mcat verbal to study for Dat reading comprehension? Are they similar?

not sure, but I'd definitely use DAT focused material. I suggest using crack the DAT RC and DAT bootcamp. Depending on what crack dat package you get, you can have access up to 20 RC exams, which is plenty for practice.

As someone who took both exams, the simple answer is no. The reading sections aren't even comparable to the slightest degree.