This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsta2304

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just begun prepping for the dat. I have just finished with week one and have realized I am struggling with gen chem. All i have been doing is dat bootcamp. Idk if its Mike's videos or if ive just forgotten alot of the material. I need more practice and the quiz problems and video poblems that come with Mike's videos do not feel enough. I hear Chad's videos are good? Would you guys recommened watching both for gen chem or just stick to one and doing more practice?
I knew i would be rocky with this gen chem material, but mike's videos has me going throuhg a chapter of videos a day and i dont feel like im getting a grasp of it as much as i need to be for the DAT. any help??? thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t use Chad’s so I can’t speak to that. Maybe try looking up other gen Chem practice exams on Google to have access to more questions other than those provided by DAT Bootcamp. Destroyer is another good source of questions that really pushes your knowledge of all sections.

Are you struggling with certain topics or everything? OpenStax has free textbooks. You can also get additional problems for gen Chem from those books and use the book to explain concepts you’re having a hard time with. I used that textbook for my college gen Chem course and found it helpful. Especially since it’s all free doesn’t hurt to give it a shot

Reactions: 1 user
These are not DAT focused but Chad has videos accessible for free online at chadsvideos com if you want to try it out and see if you like his better. Under General Chemistry, you have all the topics listed and have an outline at the top that covers all of the videos.

These are not DAT focused but Chad has videos accessible for free online at chadsvideos com if you want to try it out and see if you like his better. Under General Chemistry, you have all the topics listed and have an outline at the top that covers all of the videos.
If i choose chad's videos do i also need a substription to course saver? im a bit confused to how they are different.
Because I hear he goes more in depth into DAT material in course saver.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t use Chad’s so I can’t speak to that. Maybe try looking up other gen Chem practice exams on Google to have access to more questions other than those provided by DAT Bootcamp. Destroyer is another good source of questions that really pushes your knowledge of all sections.

Are you struggling with certain topics or everything? OpenStax has free textbooks. You can also get additional problems for gen Chem from those books and use the book to explain concepts you’re having a hard time with. I used that textbook for my college gen Chem course and found it helpful. Especially since it’s all free doesn’t hurt to give it a shot
Im just struggling on certain topics. I just finished week one and i went back to review some problems from day one which entailed doing limiting reactant problems and i forgot how to do them. Like i said, i think i just need more practice. Or maybe slowing my pace down because i have been doin what the DAT botocamp schedule says and that is running through a whole chapter a day.

If i choose chad's videos do i also need a substription to course saver? im a bit confused to how they are different.
Because I hear he goes more in depth into DAT material in course saver.
Coursesaver is DAT tailored- covers most/all topics that can be tested in the DAT
Chadvideos are for a General Chemistry college course series. It covers EVERYTHING (or mostly everything) that would be talked about in the yearlong gen chem course, but not as much detail as you would need for the DAT.
For $50 and little time, you can get DAT specific videos, but for $0 and a lot of time, you can search through the topics on Chad's website and watch what you need to watch. Hopefully this made sense :)

Im just struggling on certain topics. I just finished week one and i went back to review some problems from day one which entailed doing limiting reactant problems and i forgot how to do them. Like i said, i think i just need more practice. Or maybe slowing my pace down because i have been doin what the DAT botocamp schedule says and that is running through a whole chapter a day.
I would use the BC schedule as a base, but make your own schedule on it. It doesn't help if you're going through the chapters but not learning/retaining anything. Find out what works for you best, and then go from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Coursesaver is DAT tailored- covers most/all topics that can be tested in the DAT
Chadvideos are for a General Chemistry college course series. It covers EVERYTHING (or mostly everything) that would be talked about in the yearlong gen chem course, but not as much detail as you would need for the DAT.
For $50 and little time, you can get DAT specific videos, but for $0 and a lot of time, you can search through the topics on Chad's website and watch what you need to watch. Hopefully this made sense :)

I would use the BC schedule as a base, but make your own schedule on it. It doesn't help if you're going through the chapters but not learning/retaining anything. Find out what works for you best, and then go from there.
Oh my, you're a savior! thanks for your help!!!! Happy holidays! :)