DAT PAT Hole punches, Cubes, TPE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I can not seem to find a thread that answers my question.

On the DAT how many folds can I expect on the hole punching section? In addition, how many hole punches? I usually see 2 or 1 whole and a half. I may have seen 3 on a DAT BC question.

For cube counting, how many cubes are there. I am averaging a 13/15 on DAT bootcamp test on this, a few 15/15. The amount of cubes aren't usually many or it doesn't seem like much to me.

Are the DAT TPE similar or easier than BC, some are pretty easy if you take a second, but I find it takes me a while to do them almost 45-50 seconds. I do pretty well anywhere from 10-12 correct on them.

Angles I know many people say BC angles are really hard, but i get like 5 or 6 right but then get 9 on some tests. Usually i do this one last as I know I am bad at them so I get my easier points.

Pattern folding seems pretty good I get 12-13 on BC. I am assuming they are similar in difficulty.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the actual PAT exam is mostly easier than BC, but only by a little bit. Keyhole might be a little bit harder since the real test contains rocks. In terms of folds, it should be similar. Angles are generally slightly easier. If you can conquer bootcamp's angle ranking you will probably ace the real thing for sure. The best way to go about angle ranking is I think doing a ton of practice using tests and generators, and figuring out what method works the best for you for each case. (parallel obtuse, parallel acute, opposite obtuse, opposite acute, right angles, similar orientation, random orientation...etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the actual PAT exam is mostly easier than BC, but only by a little bit. Keyhole might be a little bit harder since the real test contains rocks. In terms of folds, it should be similar. Angles are generally slightly easier. If you can conquer bootcamp's angle ranking you will probably ace the real thing for sure. The best way to go about angle ranking is I think doing a ton of practice using tests and generators, and figuring out what method works the best for you for each case. (parallel obtuse, parallel acute, opposite obtuse, opposite acute, right angles, similar orientation, random orientation...etc)

Could you explain these techniques?!

What would you recommend for studying Keyhole? I've been using DAT bootcamp but I've done all of the problems listed under the "generator" section

Could you explain these techniques?!
Haha its really just my way of doing angle ranking. Everyone has different preferences for techniques, and I think its best to figure it out by doing a lot of practice. I basically use a combination of different techniques for different cases of angles. For example, if two angles are pointing opposite, but one line is parallel, I would look at the slope of the other line to see which one is bigger. If its random, I would use a small card (in test center, you get your ID during test), to make both angles shorter and similar lengths, and quickly glance from there. It might work for some people, might not for others. Try using the BC generators and take your time with it, and develop your own technique. Best wishes!

What would you recommend for studying Keyhole? I've been using DAT bootcamp but I've done all of the problems listed under the "generator" section
I've only used BC for PAT so I am not sure what other study sources will be a good practice for keyhole. I would say try doing each exam over again and see if you can detect more subtle features easier. The rocks on the exam is all about subtle features I think.