DAT on 10/1/05, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlliniSam

Illini fan for life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been reading posts for a long time. Any advice would be great, best of luck to you all also.

I took my DAT on Oct. 1, and I know it's a little late in the game, but I'm also trying to finish up my Master's in December. Still waiting for AADSAS to send out the application. :mad: They seem to be taking forever!! Anyways, I'm hoping to get atleast some interviews, acceptances would be the best of course. :D

*EDIT* GPA: Total for both grad and undergrad is 3.37

Here's my scores, and my impression of the test.

PA 19 91.0
QR 23 97.7
RC 23 92.8
Bio 22 97.2
GC 22 92.0
OC 20 86.2
TS 21 94.9
AA 22 97.3

I know the percentiles aren't seen by the schools, and there's some debate about how they are calculated, like who they are comparing my scores against.

BIO: pretty simple I though, not that much classification/evolution/behavior. The wording for some questions was confusing, but not difficult once I found out what they were asking. Not that much physio.

GC: real simple calculations if any. Stochio stuff, melting temp, boil point stuff. equilibrium equations.

OC: SN1, SN2, E1, E2, EAS of benzene, etc. just memorize!!

PA: Much better than I was expecting on everything, except the angles, THEY WERE IMPOSSIBLE, i though they had to be a couple degrees apart. :eek:

RC: Little tough, even the detail questions were tricky. General scope of articles and whatnot questions also.

QR: Not as bad as I thought, but had to do a lot of FAST calculations in order to get through it all. simple probability. algebra simple if you take the time. The trig was REALLY simply, know your trig functions.

I used the Kaplan book and CD, topscore, and datachiever. I recommend them all. I thought DATachiever was MUCH more difficult than the real thing in science, PAT, and QR, the RC was easier on DATachiever for me. DAT achiever PAT was tougher than all PAT sections on the real thing, except angle ranking. Topscore was similar for PAT and all other sections, but still though the real thing was somewhere between topscore and DATachiever.
I also though the kaplan CD was tougher than the real thing, but the book had much easier questions than the real thing.

any advice would be great, best of luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

IlliniSam said:
Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been reading posts for a long time. Any advice would be great, best of luck to you all also.

I took my DAT on Oct. 1, and I know it's a little late in the game, but I'm also trying to finish up my Master's in December. Still waiting for AADSAS to send out the application. :mad: They seem to be taking forever!! Anyways, I'm hoping to get atleast some interviews, acceptances would be the best of course. :D
Here's my scores, and my impression of the test.

PA 19 91.0
QR 23 97.7
RC 23 92.8
Bio 22 97.2
GC 22 92.0
OC 20 86.2
TS 21 94.9
AA 22 97.3

I know the percentiles aren't seen by the schools, and there's some debate about how they are calculated, like who they are comparing my scores against.

BIO: pretty simple I though, not that much classification/evolution/behavior. The wording for some questions was confusing, but not difficult once I found out what they were asking. Not that much physio.

GC: real simple calculations if any. Stochio stuff, melting temp, boil point stuff. equilibrium equations.

OC: SN1, SN2, E1, E2, EAS of benzene, etc. just memorize!!

PA: Much better than I was expecting on everything, except the angles, THEY WERE IMPOSSIBLE, i though they had to be a couple degrees apart. :eek:

RC: Little tough, even the detail questions were tricky. General scope of articles and whatnot questions also.

QR: Not as bad as I thought, but had to do a lot of FAST calculations in order to get through it all. simple probability. algebra simple if you take the time. The trig was REALLY simply, know your trig functions.

I used the Kaplan book and CD, topscore, and datachiever. I recommend them all. I thought DATachiever was MUCH more difficult than the real thing in science, PAT, and QR, the RC was easier on DATachiever for me. DAT achiever PAT was tougher than all PAT sections on the real thing, except angle ranking. Topscore was similar for PAT and all other sections, but still though the real thing was somewhere between topscore and DATachiever.
I also though the kaplan CD was tougher than the real thing, but the book had much easier questions than the real thing.

any advice would be great, best of luck to you all.

Great job but whats your gpa?

impressive scores.. plus your masters degree.. u're going to get in somewhere for sure.

Great scores. Congratulations. You shouldn't have any problem getting in.

Excellent scores, Sam, and congrats! While waiting for your applications to be mailed out by AADSAS, you may want to begin calling schools whether you should send them secondary fees and/or applications in advance via any proper/possible channel(s). It wouln't hurt to do so given your current strong profiles and this will certainly cut short the waiting time to interviews and/or acceptances.