DAT Mediocrity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omahahahaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been a longtime reader of this message board, but this is my first ever post. I have read numerous suggestions that have helped me through the Dental School Application process, so thanks to all of you! I haven't felt the urge to make a post until I had taken my DAT. I took it today. My scores are not as good as I would have liked. I have noticed that many scores posted on this discussion board are quite high. My scores, I'm afraid are very mediocre.

If anyone has perspective on this issue, it would really help. In your opinion, will I receive any interviews, or will the Admissions committees simply turn down my app. because of my low sub scores?

I am from South Dakota and I am applying to area schools.
Minnesota, Nebraska, Creighton, Marquette, Iowa.

Here are my stats: GPA 3.6 from USD

AA 18
BIO 16
GCHEM 18
OCHEM 21
R Comp. 20
QR 16
PA 17

Thanks for all your advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, this is a case in which the high SDN scores have intimidated someone to the point that he is beyond being rational. :laugh: Relax my friend; you are in good shape. The average DAT AA and PA is 18 at many schools. You will get into many private schools.

The reason why SDN members have been scoring exceptionally well is because many members have low GPA's. And thus they are forced to compensate for their low GPA's with high DAT scores. The SDN DAT scores are not the norm. Everything will work out well for you.

Overall, good score and great GPA. The only thing I would be concerned about is the Bio 16, but I wouldnt sweat it. Overall, good job.

SD DDS:

Your numbers will be fine for University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (The "U"). The U emphasize GPAs more so than the DAT scores. With your 3.6 GPA, you will get an interview then it's all you from there! Further, since your AA is a 18, your BIO 16 will be shadowed. Even better, Minnesota has reciprocity acceptances with your state (they must accept X amount of candidates from SD), so you'll be considered as an in-state applicant.

I know all this because I did my undergraduate work there and I know Laura Boland as well as many other dental students and faculty there! Other schools, I have no idea. Good luck!
:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for being supportive. Sorry if I sounded a bit paranoid, but I really haven't seen any "Average" DAT scores posted, they all seem above average to me. Now I guess I just have to wait and see what schools want to interview me.

I am already registered with AADSAS, so once the schools get my DAT scores and secondary apps., how long should I expect to wait to hear from schools? A matter of weeks? 1 month? 2 months?

Originally posted by SouthDakotaDDS
Thanks for being supportive. Sorry if I sounded a bit paranoid, but I really haven't seen any "Average" DAT scores posted, they all seem above average to me.

Here is a link to those mythical "average" stats. Wow, I feel like David Copperfield. But don't ask for any acceptance letters. I haven't mastered that trick yet.

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm