DAT in 10 weeks...what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagpredental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Currently a junior planning to apply in the upcoming cycle. I will be taking my exam June 10, which is roughly 10 weeks from now. I've done all of Chad's videos, but that's about it. I haven't been able to focus on studying for the DAT in the past few weeks though. To be honest, I lost a bit of motivation to studying...I don't think I can focus on studying for the DAT until after my semester ends, which leaves me with only about 5 weeks of break before taking the DAT.

Do you think this is sufficient time to prepare and do well on the DAT? Am I the only who thinks studying for the DAT is just impossible during semester...? I'm honestly just aiming for a 20+. I've been losing so much confidence lately.

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Currently a junior planning to apply in the upcoming cycle. I will be taking my exam June 10, which is roughly 10 weeks from now. I've done all of Chad's videos, but that's about it. I haven't been able to focus on studying for the DAT in the past few weeks though. To be honest, I lost a bit of motivation to studying...I don't think I can focus on studying for the DAT until after my semester ends, which leaves me with only about 5 weeks of break before taking the DAT.

Do you think this is sufficient time to prepare and do well on the DAT? Am I the only who thinks studying for the DAT is just impossible during semester...? I'm honestly just aiming for a 20+. I've been losing so much confidence lately.

not sure because everyone is different, but i wouldnt study for the dat in only 5 weeks. focus on the semester and push the DAT back that will allow you to focus on both appropriately

Reactions: 3 users
Most students actually study for the DAT during the semester. It's challenging, but it isn't impossible. I know some students who even work and attend school full-time. Think of it as a trial run of dental school. The first two years are basically studying for the DAT all the time :)

To echo what Ty said, I don't recommend studying for this in 5 weeks. Start while you're in school, sacrifice your weekends and fun time, and you get the luxury of doubling down and focusing only on the DAT the final 5 weeks. I think a big mistake students make is to rush the test and not study enough. Or, you can push the test date back. Take the time you know you need to do well on this test.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Focus on your course work, maintaining as high a GPA as possible is most important. You always have the option to retake the DAT should you not get the scores you hoped for, but your GPA follows you for life. Dental schools put a lot of weight on the GPA and DAT scores.

Please feel free to pm me and I would be happy to give you some more advice. I would like to ask you some more questions.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it in about 7 weeks while also taking O-Chem 2 over the summer (By no means ideal but you gotta do what you gotta do). It can be done but you better be ready to make the sacrifice. My dad had a running joke where he used to always come into my room and ask me, "Have you seen the sun today?". I would be prepared to say goodbye to the sun.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your feedback (and sorry for my late reply)! It gives me more pressure and motivation to do what I HAVE to do. I think I will push the test date back.

Don't hurt your gpa and Dat score by doing this
postpone your dat to at least late June

It would not kill you, but it will help your gpa and DAT.

Some can do it, but it might not be you. So why risk it, when you can take the DAT at the end of June and still considered an early applicant.

Focus on your course work, maintaining as high a GPA as possible is most important. You always have the option to retake the DAT should you not get the scores you hoped for, but your GPA follows you for life. Dental schools put a lot of weight on the GPA and DAT scores.

Please feel free to pm me and I would be happy to give you some more advice. I would like to ask you some more questions.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

I second that.