DAT finally DONE 5/10/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfoksn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from the DAT testing center, and I would like to share my scores with you!

I did better than I expected, I was going for 25AA :)

PA: 28 (100)
QR: 23 (97.1) Could have done much better, I was just so tired at the end :(
RC: 28 (99.8)
BS: 29 (99.9) I shoulda gotten 30!! I didn't miss anything :p
GC: 30 (100)
OC: 23 (94.3) WTF! This is my strongest section.
TS: 28 (99.9)
AA: 27 (100)

Guys, don't be afraid of DAT sciences.
They are super basic, and I had time to check them over 3 times for GC and Bio, and 2 times for OC.

Nothing surprising, there were oddball questions in Bio, but I used logic to eliminate all of the answer choices. They are straight forward.

RC, I got Piano passage, and it ISN'T hard, as you can see from my score. I am an Anthropology major, and I do read a lot, so maybe it helped.
I am also NOT native English speaker, I came to US about 6 years ago. So now you see how easy Piano passage actually is!

I will answer questions regarding the tests if you have any :)

Thank you for everyone who answered my questions!

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.90 GPA and 3.95 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance?

Study techniques:

I studied over.. I am not sure. I think 5 months, but I didn't actually start until 2 months before. Other 3 months, I probably studied once every week, so it didn't do much. Last 2 months, though, I studied 8-10 hours a day. I only ate, went to bathroom, slept, and studied.

Some people have been asking question if I had school or work, in fact, yes I did.. I am taking 17 quarter unit (4 classes, one of them upper division writing course.. so time consuming) and also research 15 hours a week. I still found time to do everything, so it definitely is possible to study while taking full course load/work :)

It took a big toll in my health, I lost over 40 lbs in course of 2 months of studying. I was sleep deprived, and I stopped going to the gym completely. Before I started studying, I was 220 lbs bench pressing 315, but when I went to the gym today, I was weighing merely 175 lbs and I could barely do full rep of 225 lb.

People also have been asking me how I studied with all the classes and all. This has been my schedule for the past 2 months:

So I have class everyday from 8AM to 1PM or 2PM.

I get up at 7AM, get ready for classes, go to class from 8AM to 1 or 2PM, then I would go to my research lab until 4PM or 5PM. So around 3 hours of research. I can go collect research data whenever I want (I have the key to the laboratory and I do independent work) so sometimes I do it later at night, after my studying. But typically, at 4/5PM, when I am done with researching for the day, I would go eat Panda Express (I never went back to my apartment, it's too noisy :p), then I would stay in my research office until 1-2AM or so studying :) My office is very quiet, and everything is there for me.

Like I said, it took a big toll on my health! Don't study like me.

QR: I went through MATH destroyer once. I didn't miss much in it and people said it was good enough so I just stuck with reviewing it once. I swear I could have done much better in QR, I just got really tired and my hands started shaking. It is very easy. I think the actual DAT may be a little more time consuming than MATH destroyer, because it definitely had more word problems.

PA: I ended up not finishing CDP Ace version, I still had last test undone :p My score for test 1 was 23, score for test 9 was 28. So CDP is around there with difficulty, although I think CDP is harder. Angles aren't as bad as they say, I don't think I missed any on the angle section, but in the key holes... There were some keyhole questions that seemed like they had multiple answers. I finished this section with 20 minutes to go, and had time to check over everything once again and recount all the cubes and all. I think the hole punch question is the only thing I missed.

RC: Did not study for this, I read 60 pages a day of detailed articles in my anthro classes.. I got to the level where I can skim through passage retaining quite a bit. I finished this section 20 minutes early, even with the Piano passage. Piano passage is just overrated, don't worry about it! Yes it has a lot of inference questions, but they are not meant to be hard. My strategy for this section is, I just read through the exhibit as I would read through any other article, until I find the clue about the first question. If the answer to the first question is inference, I would just read everything through first. Once I read through, it's very easy to answer general "which is true EXCEPT" questions, and it's really easy to go back to the article for detailed based questions since you would remember where the topic was discussed. If you stay calm and read stress-free, I think everyone can do well on this section.

Bio: Went through cliff's.. I don't know how many times, I think I read through them every day, and every 2 days I would recycle. Yes, I memorized cliff's back and forth! I also did Destroyer 2 times. Most of my studying for bio was just reading, I read Campbell's thick bio book every day 200 pages a day. I guess that helps with RC too! So read Campbell's :p It will help you in Bio and RC.

GC: Destroyer 2 times, nothing more... GC is very straight forward, no tricks at all. I think GC is on par with TopScore, and a little easier than Achiever. There are some tricky questions to get you to fall into the trap, just make sue you go over it fast in the first time so you have time to do it once more after.

OC: Destroyer 2 times, I also did all the questions in my chem book chapters... I thought I would definitely do better in this section, I thought this was my strongest section.. I wonder what I missed. There were some questions that I had never seen before, but OC is very much based on logic so I wasn't worried too much about them. I think the difficulty is around the same with TopScore, a little easier than Achiever.

Let me know if you have any questions :) Feel free to PM me

Due to requests, I've decided to upload an image file of the score report.

Sorry for the phone camera :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you it was so nice of you to post a reply.

I am encouraged to know that with my strong SGPA that i should do well on the DAT. I am planning on taking it Aug. 14th So that gives me about 90 days study time. I am not hitting it too hard yet, I dont want to burn out I am just studying a few hours a day as for now.

You mentioned Achiever and Topscore. Do you recommend that I purchase these items then?

I am worried about the math! It has been too long and I am worried I will need to know crazy formulas. I pray I get an easy math section. Haha

I really appreciate any info that you can give me. my email is [email protected]

My goal is a 22

Hey Trevnichols22,

You are making a great choice! I actually got burned out after 1 month of studying following my schedule. My performance went down greatly, and I was all depressed because I felt like I wasn't functioning as I should be.

Since you have 3 months, instead of my 2 months, you should definitely space your studies out. It will keep you energized :)

TopScore and Achiever, you should take them I think about maybe few weeks before the actual test, when you should be almost close to being completely ready.

This way, you can predict your performance on real DAT quite accurately.

Math is nothing to worry about! The problem on QR section is not being unable to solve the problems, but doing them fast.

There are a lot of word problems, and just make sure you get enough practices with word problems to be able to generate equations without delay.

I highly recommend Math Destroyer, it was about the same difficulty as the real DAT and has a lot of practice problems (11 practice tests, 440 questions).

Really, it's just all algebra and trigonometry. Trig isn't even that difficult on DAT, just knowing the unit circle should suffice.

You seem like a student who is really on top of your things, and you should have no problem scoring high on the DAT :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate the advice and optimism. Of course how can you not just be excited all the time after the score you recieved. I will be following your advice. I will let you know how i do!!

Test date- August 14th

Thanks again!!

wowwwwww you are AMAZING
i'm now actually considering reading my campbells book....but i need to get my friend to ship it to me since i didnt bring it home w/ me...

but yeah...you are hero status. 28 AA 100% wow......
CONGRATULATIONS and i'm sure you'll be able to get in anywhere you want haha. :)

if you were reading 200 pgs a day of campbells, then you must have finished it in 6-7 days...how many times did you read/reread campbells during the course of your studies? (sorry, you probably mentioned this somewhere, but how many months did you spend on studying?)

would you by chance remember what your scores for topscore and achiever were the times that you took the tests?

thx:luck:

if you were reading 200 pgs a day of campbells, then you must have finished it in 6-7 days...how many times did you read/reread campbells during the course of your studies? (sorry, you probably mentioned this somewhere, but how many months did you spend on studying?)

Hello, I spent about 2 months straight studying. I actually didn't mention this, but the 200 pages per day was at the end of my studies. In the beginning, I only read 50-60 pages a day, and the amount gradually grew to 200 pages a day when I was familiar enough with the subject to be able to skim with adequately refreshing my memories :)

I re-read three times total.

would you by chance remember what your scores for topscore and achiever were the times that you took the tests?

thx:luck:

Hello CANgnome,

For TopScore, I got 25AA/27TS/26PA, then 26AA/28TS/22PA, then 22AA/24TS/28PA.

For Achiever, I got 22AA, then 20AA, then 22AA again.

Achiever was hard!

So I just got back from the DAT testing center, and I would like to share my scores with you!

I did better than I expected, I was going for 25AA :)

PA: 28 (100)
QR: 23 (97.1) Could have done much better, I was just so tired at the end :(
RC: 28 (99.8)
BS: 29 (99.9) I shoulda gotten 30!! I didn't miss anything :p
GC: 30 (100)
OC: 23 (94.3) WTF! This is my strongest section.
TS: 28 (99.9)
AA: 27 (100)

My dream school is Columbia. I have 3.85 GPA and 3.9 sGPA, do you think I would have a good chance?

Is this a serious question or are you actually doubting your stats...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a serious question or are you actually doubting your stats...

I never looked up the average GPA for Columbia until shortly after I took my DAT.

My EC is very weak compared to some other pre-dents, though, so I am a little bit worried in that aspect.

Hopefully it would be okay, though! :D

lol now people can't doubt you!
haha it's funny to reread my post that i wrote before i met you. hahaha i said you were hero status, which you are after hearing everything you went thru to get the score. i still cant believe i met you! haha
seriously like i said before, you have nothing to worry about except interview! start practicing haha :p

I saw this before the scores were posted. I was going to call BS. I feel stupid now. Congratulations man. Thats incredibly impressive, Good Luck youll definately get in where you want

Hey, I was wondering for studyin bio... did you just read and read until you memorized the stuff or did you take indepth notes the first time or so and look over both while you reread?

Hey, I was wondering for studyin bio... did you just read and read until you memorized the stuff or did you take indepth notes the first time or so and look over both while you reread?

Hello,

I read the Campbell's and I just took notes on stuff that I was not familiar with. After all, DAT is multiple choice based exam, and as long as you have some idea what something does, it is easy to find the answers.

I read the book and studied the notes separately.

Good luck!

WOW. You are my DAT hero!!! Congrats on your scores I wish you the best of luck at Columbia, your gonna get in!

Thank you it was so nice of you to post a reply.

I am encouraged to know that with my strong SGPA that i should do well on the DAT. I am planning on taking it Aug. 14th So that gives me about 90 days study time. I am not hitting it too hard yet, I dont want to burn out I am just studying a few hours a day as for now.

You mentioned Achiever and Topscore. Do you recommend that I purchase these items then?

I am worried about the math! It has been too long and I am worried I will need to know crazy formulas. I pray I get an easy math section. Haha

I really appreciate any info that you can give me. my email is [email protected]

My goal is a 22

since you said you have a strong Science background, the only thing totally new for you would be the PAT. And everybody here knows that for the PAT, the program to get is Crack DAT PAT.
I don't have either Achiever OR Topscore OR Destroyer (all I have is Barron's AP Bio, Kaplan's Blue, Barron's DAT (old edition) and of course, Crack DAT PAT).
I'm taking the exam July 9th and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hello,

I read the Campbell's and I just took notes on stuff that I was not familiar with. After all, DAT is multiple choice based exam, and as long as you have some idea what something does, it is easy to find the answers.

I read the book and studied the notes separately.

Good luck!

man...you are the shining example of the ideal student!
plus, you don't seem like a dbag either! wanna be friends? haha

WOW i am impressed. I know you asked about Comlumbia, but I think that you are obviously smart enough to know that as long as you have a decent interview you are in for sure! Good luck on everything, glad to see that you are a decent person in addition to being smart

I was hoping to come in here and say I beat you (or at least in 1-2 sections). Unfortunately it did not happen.

You still did fairly well! Was the DAT harder than you expected? You've always helped me in my questions and I am really surprised by your scores as well. I thought you would end up with at least 25-26 AA.

Nevertheless, your scores are competitive and you know it! :)

WOW i am impressed. I know you asked about Comlumbia, but I think that you are obviously smart enough to know that as long as you have a decent interview you are in for sure! Good luck on everything, glad to see that you are a decent person in addition to being smart

Thanks for the kind words, widentist!
Hopefully I will get into the top choices.
I just know that getting into dental school isn't all about numbers, because I think each dental school purposely accept people over and under their averages to keep the class competition to minimum.

If they only accepted gunners, then all the good schools would be filled with 27+AA DAT scorers and it would be too cutthroat... I don't think I have much better chance than any other 22+ DAT scorers to be honest.

Good luck on your test, if you haven't taken it yet.

man...you are the shining example of the ideal student!
plus, you don't seem like a dbag either! wanna be friends? haha

Hey, are you Korean? :) Let's be gosu together. Haha

your score is seriously unbelievable......you are my idol
Columbia is also my dream school ! I hope I can get DAT scores like you...

For the OC, when you say that you did all the questions in your chem book chapters do you mean the textbook used in your ochem class?

Last edited:
You still did fairly well! Was the DAT harder than you expected? You've always helped me in my questions and I am really surprised by your scores as well. I thought you would end up with at least 25-26 AA.

Nevertheless, your scores are competitive and you know it! :)

Woulda been close to 24 if I got a couple more right on OC. I was hoping for high OC score. Other scores I was expecting to be right around there. PAT could have been a little higher.

I only went through looking at reagents once in my textbook. So I guess I forgot some. Practice tests keep using the same ones over and over again. The DAT had 1-2 that aren't used as much.

Didn't think it was hard really.

omg are you korean?
your score is seriously unbelievable......you are my idol
Columbia is also my dream school ! I hope I can get DAT scores like you...

For the OC, when you say that you did all the questions in your chem book chapters do you mean the textbook used in your ochem class?

Yeah, for the chemistry I used my class textbooks.
I really should have done better on the OC :p I was so confident in that section!

Any suggestions on pattern folding?? I have CDP and i'm doing horrible on the questions w/ shaded sides...

There is a thread called "My wicked PAT Tutorial" on SDN. Search for that thread, it does help a lot with PAT.

Good luck!

did you review all the material thoroughly before you started doing exams/problems?

did you review all the material thoroughly before you started doing exams/problems?

Yeah. Most of my time studying was dedicated to reviewing the materials. I only started doing the practice tests during the last week, 1 full length test everyday to raise my stamina.

Good luck!