DAT Exam in 7 days. Skip Bio, and do both Chemistry sections first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDisrespect

Reaction score
Hey SDN Fam,

I was curious as to see if anyone has ever tried this method of skipping the first 40 questions (BIOLOGY), and finished the other two science sections first (GC & OC)?? I personally am stronger in Chemistry and feel like I could get those 60 questions out of the way fairly quickly. So that I know I have X amount of time to focus on Biology.

This is just a thought since I'm stressing about time management. If anyone has ever tried this method, please let me know how it worked out for you. If you believe this method is worth it, please let me know why you think so! If you don't, please also let me know why!! I would appreciate any and all feedback on this situation, since time is running slim. Thank you :).

P.S. Has anyone actually purchased the ADA Individual Modules/Practice Tests? If so, is it WORHT it?? I've been focusing on Bootcamp & DAT/Math Destroyer. Would also love some feedback on the material that could be purchased from the ADA.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND SUPPORT <3

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN Fam,

I was curious as to see if anyone has ever tried this method of skipping the first 40 questions (BIOLOGY), and finished the other two science sections first (GC & OC)?? I personally am stronger in Chemistry and feel like I could get those 60 questions out of the way fairly quickly. So that I know I have X amount of time to focus on Biology.

This is just a thought since I'm stressing about time management. If anyone has ever tried this method, please let me know how it worked out for you. If you believe this method is worth it, please let me know why you think so! If you don't, please also let me know why!! I would appreciate any and all feedback on this situation, since time is running slim. Thank you :).

P.S. Has anyone actually purchased the ADA Individual Modules/Practice Tests? If so, is it WORHT it?? I've been focusing on Bootcamp & DAT/Math Destroyer. Would also love some feedback on the material that could be purchased from the ADA.

I can only share my experience from talking to students through the years that did what you are suggesting and all agreed they wished they had done the sections in order. If you are prepared timing will not be an issue in these sections. The area that students struggle with the most on timing is the QR and sometimes the reading, especially if English is a 2nd language. I think you have more than enough study materials and not sure if adding anything else is needed. I noticed you are using the DAT and Math Destroyer and I highly suggest you get through all the work in both of those books.

Wishing you the best...Nancy, co/owner,Orgoman/DAT Destroyer

I didn't do this in science but found it useful in PAT because I knew I could do cubes and hole punching faster than TFE. If you feel confident, I'd say go for it. But I'd test it out with full length exams to make sure it works (I did a few runs on CrackDAT with this strategy before I committed to it).

Hey SDN Fam,

I took my DAT this morning I thought I would be on a time crunch which was the case for majority of my bootcamp practice exams, but I ended up finishing the section with 10 solid minutes to spare. I don't think time would be an issue if you have a decent grasp on the section. To get a feel of how the real DAT would be try the 2009 DAT SNS and time yourself. I did it the day before my exam and found the pacing to be very similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's good to get the easier stuff out of the way. Plus, it can be motivating to power through the stuff you know you're good at.

I sometimes go out of order too and work through the first quarter of the test from the front then continue working backwards from the last question. Even though I haven't finished the test, I feel that the end is in sight (since I continue working through the test from the end) which helps me push on. Little things like that can help with morale I find.

Hey SDN Fam,

Hello,
I actually did something similar during my DAT. Because I was strong in Bio and Ochem, I finished those sections first then focused on Gchem because sometimes the calculations are long. I think it worked to my advantage and highly recommended you adopt something similar to the QR section as well. Good luck!