DAT done...the questions have been answered!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poc91nc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...done with the DAT and I gotta lot to say. Here are my scores.

Biology 23 97.9 percentile
General Chemistry 21 87.3 percentile
Organic Chemistry 22 90.9 percentile
Total Science: 22 96.1 percentile
Quantitative reasoning: 17 64 percentile
Reading comprehension: 18 39 percentile
Academic Average: 20 85 percentile
PAT: 15 27.2 percentile...this is bad, I know....

First, I want to thank Dr. Romano and Nancy. Ok...if you think this is another ad or whatever...stop reading and move on. Dr. Romano, thanks for taking the time to call me and go over material, putting my mind at ease, and most of all, for creating a masterpiece in DAT prep that stands uncontested. Nancy, I would like to thank you for taking the time to call me, sending me updates whenever I needed them, and really just going out of your way to make sure things were going along well.

Dr. Romano and Nancy, you went out of your way to help me out during some of my darkest hours...I thank you.

Ok...now the questions have been answered lets get started with the section that everybody is flipping out about...Biology.
Bottom line is...if you know Achiever and Destroyer inside and out, there is NO WAY YOU CAN GET BELOW A 19 ON A BAD DAY. Biology was by far my weakest subject when I started studying. I wasn't the strongest general biology student and only have advanced coursework in biochemistry and molecular biology. First of all, let's define what I mean by "knowing something inside and out." That means...you know why all the wrong answers are wrong, why the correct answers are correct...and you know, word for word all the information in the solutions. On top of that...you should feel comfortable with variations of different questions that test the same topics. Like wise...you should do this for achiever.

Now...you must draw a fine line between rote memorization and comprehension. The first is rather straightforward...the second...is a bit more subjective. However, you should realize that the two will ALWAYS compliment one another. For comprehension...I suggest, if you haven't been exposed to a particular biology concept encountered in either destroyer or achiever...you need to read up on it in YOUR TEXTBOOK. For biology, I suggest throwing away the kaplan book (for my version if you only knew kaplan you might get an 18 on a good day) and go to a used book store and pick up a decent undergraduate biology textbook and physiology book for reference. DO NOT SHY AWAY FROM USING YOUR TEXTBOOK, THEY WERE MEANT TO TEACH YOU THINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME...NOT KAPLAN!!! Always use textbooks to enhance your conceptual framework of biology...because you will need it on test day in a clutch situation!

For biology, I used Destroyer (meat and potatoes), achiever (awesome), Ultimate study guide for biology volume III (great supplement for oddball questions) and textbooks. If done correctly, Destroyer and achiever bio should take a full month to get through (using a comprehensive method that leaves no stone unturned). Destroyer and achiever were on the money in my opinion. Now...you might be asking...why can't you just do the same for the Blue Book. Because Destroyer and Achiever are written in the form of questions...in my opinions questions are the seeds of inquiry. Once you go through questions....then read textbooks...you will be much more focused and better prepared.

Ok...now, for general chemistry. Ok, I don't remember much from this section. I had a fine balance between conceptual and calculation. If you know Destroyer and achiever, you will have no problem. Easy stuff...but don't know what I missed.

Organic Chemistry. Again...rather easy and straight forward. Fine balance between reactions and conceptual material. The test was very general. Again...don't know what I missed. Personally, I was shooting for a 29 in this section. Kinda bummed out. Destroyer was on the money. If I had to do it again...maybe would've spent a little less time on Odyssey. Nonetheless, I really think going through Organic Chemistry Odyssey was worth it...and I learned so much. If you're serious about ochem...get this book!!!

Reading...the science passages were easy. The non-science...not so easy. That's all I have to say about it. I didn't practice this section, so I'll take this score.

Quantitative reasoning. Ok...in my opinion the problems were easy, but I just felt there wasn't enough time. Bottom line, AMERICAN EDUCATION AND FAST CALCULATION DO NOT MIX. I have brought shame to my family and I lower my head in shame.

PAT. Alright...the 15 is bad. I know this is bad. What can I say...I practiced for this section and still fell flat on my face. The 15 score is like coming out of a fight as the technical winner, but with two black eyes and a fat lip, while your opponent doesn't have a scratch because you beat him with an ankle lock submission. Oh well

Overall, the DAT wasn't that bad. I'd say, it felt easier than achiever. If used properly, I feel that Achiever and Destroyer are an unbeatable combination. Achiever is by the far the best test prep simulator that really pushes you to the limit. I used the achiever test midway through my studying to see where I stood. If you don't waste the practice tests, you will benefit greatly from them.

Here is one more thing I would like stress...and further exemplifies the usefullness of achiever and destroyer. The mentioned materials give you great practice in recognizing commonly asked questions. Do not go through achiever and Destroyer expecting to see exact questions. Rather, you should focus your energy on classifying questions in your mind...and always ask yourself what concept a particular question is asking. Achiever and Destroyer are great for laying down a foundation for a wide variety of commonly asked questions.

Anyways, I know the pat is a killer...but I'm gonna try my luck and see what kinda cards I get. If I get rejected from every school....then we'll think about a retake. For now, I'm gonna just relax and worry about the rest of my application. Ok then, thanks to everyone on SDN...this is a great resource...and I'll be hanging around for awhile!!! Good luck to everyone else.

Here are my achiever scores in case you're wondering

Bio/Gchem/Ochem
19/20/21 Test 1
17/18/20 Test 2
18/20/23 Test 3
Pat: 15, 16, 17

Members don't see this ad.

what a useless thread!
kaplan and their materials are much better than the destroyer.

thanks for the analysis..really helps!! Good job!...i stink at pat also :( But can u answer the tutorial thread quest below?..no one is answering and u just took the dats!..Thanks!!

what a useless thread!
kaplan and their materials are much better than the destroyer.

Haha...good one. If you took the DAT I took...and only knew Kaplan...the first 5 bio questions would make you go home wimpering to your mother. Dr. Romano has been around...he knows the score. He was teaching DAT prep when you were still in your Daddy's nutsack.

The Destroyer updates itself....it gets better and better with time.

When did Kaplan last update their material? The bio subjet tests??? A joke...so is the gchem and ochem. After going through Destroyer and Odyssey...I laughed at Kaplan problems. The practice tests?? Even worse.

Even the achiever guy said it....NO BIG DEAL IF YOU CAN ANSWER KAPLAN PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY ONLY TEST YOU ON KAPLAN MATERIAL!!!

Everyone who has taken the DAT lately has said the kaplan tests and questions are an absolute joke.

Oh well...you have your opinion and I have mine. It is what it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha...good one. If you took the DAT I took...and only knew Kaplan...the first 5 bio questions would make you go home wimpering to your mother. Dr. Romano has been around...he knows the score. He was teaching DAT prep when you were still in your Daddy's nutsack.

The Destroyer updates itself....it gets better and better with time.

When did Kaplan last update their material? The bio subjet tests??? A joke...so is the gchem and ochem. After going through Destroyer and Odyssey...I laughed at Kaplan problems. The practice tests?? Even worse.

Even the achiever guy said it....NO BIG DEAL IF YOU CAN ANSWER KAPLAN PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY ONLY TEST YOU ON KAPLAN MATERIAL!!!

Everyone who has taken the DAT lately has said the kaplan tests and questions are an absolute joke.

Oh well...you have your opinion and I have mine. It is what it is...

yessss! finally someone said the truth about kaplan. It is a joke, I know kaplan as the back of my hand and its only good for 18s as poc said. ANyways, CONGRATULATIONSS poc, you did it!! Little jealous that you did better than me in some sections but what can i say, you are afterall the odd ball bio king!! loll

Good luck with your rest of the application process maybe see you at an interview or something (thats if I am lucky and do good on the DAT)!

Wow congradulations man those are amazing scores. Your in dont worry about the PAT most schools dont even look at it. Sit back and relax wait for those acceptances to come in! Congrads!

first and foremost congratulations...

second...everyone has their own opinion....
IMHO Kaplan is there for a quick brush up of knowledge so you wouldnt fall flat on your face when you take the DAT. They are not there to help you get a 22+ on the DAT. They are there so you will score average and while giving you some practice so you will be better prepared. Throughout my Kaplan course they infered that you already know some of the stuff already and why things work the way they are. That's why I hate threads on people telling other people what study guide is better. No guide is better than the other because basically they are covering the same material over and over. It's YOUR KNOWLEDGE of what you learned in college on WHY AND HOW things work.

The best study guide in my opinion is not to go out and read your bio textbook word for word, but go over the study guides (Kaplan, destroyer, etc.) and on subjects that you don't understand on how and why something is the way it is, then flip to that section in your textbook whether it be biology, chemistry, ochem, etc. That way you truly know the subject....

But once again congrats poc91nc

P.S.
I love your biology score....That's exceptionally well...

poc

i have been using DAT destroyer and i can do the bio and gen chem well on it. I still struggle a bit with the basics of ochem. I noticed on the Kaplan I do okay. Some questions i miss for example where is the location of the appendix in relation to the small intestine.

I have only taken practice test with topsocore and I score 20-21 on them (pretty much in every section). Is topscore worthless in your opinion? I just bought the achiever and haven't used it yet.

Is the PAT like the achiever or more like topscore and kaplan. I also have crack the pat which is really difficult. I am pretty good at the PAT i scored a 19 on it last year and this year i did a practice topscore and made a 22. Were angles really similar? Was the paper in hole punches folded 10 times in weird ways? Was the flat pattern section with odd shaped objects?

From a previous thread you an lonely sol seem like bio experts. What texbook are you using to study from? I can do the destroyer well but i get stuck sometimes.

thanks

POC--- you’ve been so good to the SDN community and helpful. Thanks for your input so much and CONGRATULATIONS man you kicked some serious behind on the science sections.

I’m taking the same path as you are and hope it is worth it in the end. Achiever, Top score and Kaplan... then bringing it to the next level with the DAT Destroyer. I'm trying to use all the material for what it's worth and prepare myself the best I can for test day. Once again good job and like the rest of them said, relax, the hardest part of getting into school is over!

poc

i have been using DAT destroyer and i can do the bio and gen chem well on it. I still struggle a bit with the basics of ochem. I noticed on the Kaplan I do okay. Some questions i miss for example where is the location of the appendix in relation to the small intestine.

I have only taken practice test with topsocore and I score 20-21 on them (pretty much in every section). Is topscore worthless in your opinion? I just bought the achiever and haven't used it yet.

Is the PAT like the achiever or more like topscore and kaplan. I also have crack the pat which is really difficult. I am pretty good at the PAT i scored a 19 on it last year and this year i did a practice topscore and made a 22. Were angles really similar? Was the paper in hole punches folded 10 times in weird ways? Was the flat pattern section with odd shaped objects?

From a previous thread you an lonely sol seem like bio experts. What texbook are you using to study from? I can do the destroyer well but i get stuck sometimes.

thanks

I basically supplemented Destroyer/achiever bio with campbells and Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine Marieb. The physiology book I mentioned is rather popular and you can probably find it at your public library or undergrad library. I also used Ultimate Study Guide for Biology volume III (can be found on amazon).

With ochem...it is probably helpful to review your textbook (concerning any material you feel uneasy about in the destroyer). For reactions....the roadmaps are more than enough. When you review your textbook...make notes in the appropriate sections of the destroyer solutions (thats what I did for biology).

Concerning the questions you are not answering correctly, I say, this is the time to be critical of yourself. You have to really pinpoint what it is that is causing you to miss a question. Wording? Rushing a problem? Simply not knowing the concept needed to solve the problem? Not being able to apply information? This is where you need to look for patterns and properly diagnos your weaknesses.

I can't say much about topscore...I did the first practice test early on and did very well. I thought it was a little too easy, and after reading some reviews...I thought achiever would be the better route to test myself.

Haha...PAT? Dyslexia and PAT do not mix. But I gotta say...other than hole punching....achiever was on the money. Hole punching was harder in achiever.

Achiever, in my opinion, is the best simulator for the DAT. It really pushes you to improve your weak points.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I love your post, I absoloutly love how you wrote down everything in your mind and it came out so clear.... I bet your a good writter

What are you other stats like if you don't mind me asking

Members don't see this ad :)
very impressive scores. what was your achiever QR scores comparing to the real one if you don't mind I ask?

To Poc91nc, Congratulations on your scores. Now, I hope that you will pick the school that you want to go to and not the other way around. I also loved your analysis of the study plan. That should really help me since I would like to take it in august. Again congratulations, nice job on the DAT. Good luck with everything.

first and foremost congratulations...

second...everyone has their own opinion....
IMHO Kaplan is there for a quick brush up of knowledge so you wouldnt fall flat on your face when you take the DAT. They are not there to help you get a 22+ on the DAT. They are there so you will score average and while giving you some practice so you will be better prepared. Throughout my Kaplan course they infered that you already know some of the stuff already and why things work the way they are. That's why I hate threads on people telling other people what study guide is better. No guide is better than the other because basically they are covering the same material over and over. It's YOUR KNOWLEDGE of what you learned in college on WHY AND HOW things work.

The best study guide in my opinion is not to go out and read your bio textbook word for word, but go over the study guides (Kaplan, destroyer, etc.) and on subjects that you don't understand on how and why something is the way it is, then flip to that section in your textbook whether it be biology, chemistry, ochem, etc. That way you truly know the subject....

But once again congrats poc91nc

P.S.
I love your biology score....That's exceptionally well...

Thanks Samurai. I totally agree 100% with the method you outlined. That is precisely the method I used. You seem to know your biology, and I can tell that you've taken advanced bio.

Just want to let you know...for bio just go with your gut...always trust your instincts (going back to the fundamentals).

Poc, can I borrow your brain for Friday?? I promise I'll only need it for 4.5 hours to take my DAT. Thanks :)

Haha...awesome job on the DAT; your scores are amazing!! :thumbup:

Hey law! My first choice is my undergraduate institution (university of washington), but as you know, the probability of an individual attending the same graduate/undergraduate institution is not favorable.

The only thing I have going for me is that I'm a state resident, but the UW is very competitive. Nonetheless, I will do my best.

Other than the UW, I really have no preference...I will be applying to most of the private schools on the east coast, NYU, BU, Tufts. We shall see how that goes. The PAT is a black mark but hopefully the rest of my application will minimize the damage!

Hey,
You did awesome - congrats. THANKS for all the details on how you studied it is REALLY appreciated!!!
pudz :D

AMEN to that! Great scores!

Ok...done with the DAT and I gotta lot to say. Here are my scores.

Biology 23 97.9 percentile
General Chemistry 21 87.3 percentile
Organic Chemistry 22 90.9 percentile
Total Science: 22 96.1 percentile
Quantitative reasoning: 17 64 percentile
Reading comprehension: 18 39 percentile
Academic Average: 20 85 percentile
PAT: 15 27.2 percentile...this is bad, I know....

First, I want to thank Dr. Romano and Nancy. Ok...if you think this is another ad or whatever...stop reading and move on. Dr. Romano, thanks for taking the time to call me and go over material, putting my mind at ease, and most of all, for creating a masterpiece in DAT prep that stands uncontested. Nancy, I would like to thank you for taking the time to call me, sending me updates whenever I needed them, and really just going out of your way to make sure things were going along well.

Dr. Romano and Nancy, you went out of your way to help me out during some of my darkest hours...I thank you.

Ok...now the questions have been answered lets get started with the section that everybody is flipping out about...Biology.
Bottom line is...if you know Achiever and Destroyer inside and out, there is NO WAY YOU CAN GET BELOW A 19 ON A BAD DAY. Biology was by far my weakest subject when I started studying. I wasn't the strongest general biology student and only have advanced coursework in biochemistry and molecular biology. First of all, let's define what I mean by "knowing something inside and out." That means...you know why all the wrong answers are wrong, why the correct answers are correct...and you know, word for word all the information in the solutions. On top of that...you should feel comfortable with variations of different questions that test the same topics. Like wise...you should do this for achiever.

Now...you must draw a fine line between rote memorization and comprehension. The first is rather straightforward...the second...is a bit more subjective. However, you should realize that the two will ALWAYS compliment one another. For comprehension...I suggest, if you haven't been exposed to a particular biology concept encountered in either destroyer or achiever...you need to read up on it in YOUR TEXTBOOK. For biology, I suggest throwing away the kaplan book (for my version if you only knew kaplan you might get an 18 on a good day) and go to a used book store and pick up a decent undergraduate biology textbook and physiology book for reference. DO NOT SHY AWAY FROM USING YOUR TEXTBOOK, THEY WERE MEANT TO TEACH YOU THINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME...NOT KAPLAN!!! Always use textbooks to enhance your conceptual framework of biology...because you will need it on test day in a clutch situation!

For biology, I used Destroyer (meat and potatoes), achiever (awesome), Ultimate study guide for biology volume III (great supplement for oddball questions) and textbooks. If done correctly, Destroyer and achiever bio should take a full month to get through (using a comprehensive method that leaves no stone unturned). Destroyer and achiever were on the money in my opinion. Now...you might be asking...why can't you just do the same for the Blue Book. Because Destroyer and Achiever are written in the form of questions...in my opinions questions are the seeds of inquiry. Once you go through questions....then read textbooks...you will be much more focused and better prepared.

Ok...now, for general chemistry. Ok, I don't remember much from this section. I had a fine balance between conceptual and calculation. If you know Destroyer and achiever, you will have no problem. Easy stuff...but don't know what I missed.

Organic Chemistry. Again...rather easy and straight forward. Fine balance between reactions and conceptual material. The test was very general. Again...don't know what I missed. Personally, I was shooting for a 29 in this section. Kinda bummed out. Destroyer was on the money. If I had to do it again...maybe would've spent a little less time on Odyssey. Nonetheless, I really think going through Organic Chemistry Odyssey was worth it...and I learned so much. If you're serious about ochem...get this book!!!

Reading...the science passages were easy. The non-science...not so easy. That's all I have to say about it. I didn't practice this section, so I'll take this score.

Quantitative reasoning. Ok...in my opinion the problems were easy, but I just felt there wasn't enough time. Bottom line, AMERICAN EDUCATION AND FAST CALCULATION DO NOT MIX. I have brought shame to my family and I lower my head in shame.

PAT. Alright...the 15 is bad. I know this is bad. What can I say...I practiced for this section and still fell flat on my face. The 15 score is like coming out of a fight as the technical winner, but with two black eyes and a fat lip, while your opponent doesn't have a scratch because you beat him with an ankle lock submission. Oh well

Overall, the DAT wasn't that bad. I'd say, it felt easier than achiever. If used properly, I feel that Achiever and Destroyer are an unbeatable combination. Achiever is by the far the best test prep simulator that really pushes you to the limit. I used the achiever test midway through my studying to see where I stood. If you don't waste the practice tests, you will benefit greatly from them.

Here is one more thing I would like stress...and further exemplifies the usefullness of achiever and destroyer. The mentioned materials give you great practice in recognizing commonly asked questions. Do not go through achiever and Destroyer expecting to see exact questions. Rather, you should focus your energy on classifying questions in your mind...and always ask yourself what concept a particular question is asking. Achiever and Destroyer are great for laying down a foundation for a wide variety of commonly asked questions.

Anyways, I know the pat is a killer...but I'm gonna try my luck and see what kinda cards I get. If I get rejected from every school....then we'll think about a retake. For now, I'm gonna just relax and worry about the rest of my application. Ok then, thanks to everyone on SDN...this is a great resource...and I'll be hanging around for awhile!!! Good luck to everyone else.

Here are my achiever scores in case you're wondering

Bio/Gchem/Ochem
19/20/21 Test 1
17/18/20 Test 2
18/20/23 Test 3
Pat: 15, 16, 17

Hey...I just wanted to say what a marvelous job you did and congratulate you. Seeing how much studying you did I'm sure you really deserved your scores and I wish you all the best with admissions. Thanks a lot for all the helpful comments as well. Try to have some well-deserved relaxion now!!!:thumbup:

To Poc91nc!
What sources did you use for PAT and the Reading? How did you study for that? Thanks.

Hmmm...for PAT...achiever and other stuff like kaplan (subject tests), Cliffs, and Barrons. I wish I would've spent more time on the 3-D explanations.

Didn't practice any reading whatsoever...not even a single practice test. If english is your first language...don't worry you'll do fine. It's a little draining to have to read all that stuff after SNS and PAT though..

What if English is not your native language? How do you practise reading then? I am trying to build up my vocab and reading comp skills by reading newspapers and sciense articles. Furthermore I am trying to practice using Achiever, Topscore and Examcrackers. What do you think, will that work?
Thanks.

Congrats on the wonderful scores!!
Just wanted to know how long you studied for the DAT?
How were your science grades?

Wishing you TONS of luck!!!
:):):):)

Congrats on the wonderful scores!!
Just wanted to know how long you studied for the DAT?
How were your science grades?

Wishing you TONS of luck!!!
:):):):)

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

I am actually a relatively strong science student. There is about a 0.3 differential between my science gpa and cummulative!! Fell asleep during some liberal arts classes *chuckle*.

Anyways, I spent about 3 months hardcore studying for the DAT. My method of attack was a little different from most people. Starting from day one I started out with tackling practice problems. I think it's very important to see as many problems as you can. I understand that theory is important, but I also feel that if you didn't sleep through the basic prereqs...you should have enough information in your head to start approaching problems starting from the first day. Myself personally, it had been many years since I took ochem and even longer since I took gchem. Nonetheless, I still felt comfortable going through problems on day one.

One thing that can easily go wrong in a DAT study plan is overemphasizing theory...and taking problem solving for granted. Then, when the person starts to hit Destroyer or Achiever, they realize that all of the theory review was in vain....then they start to panic. This can be very devastating psychological (especially if the exam is around the corner).

I think a good analogy is a fight. Who do you think is more likely to come out on top? The person who spent the majority of their time emphasizing technique and form, or a person who spent most of their time on conditoning and sparring? What good is the retention of a 1000 techniques if you can't properly execute it in a real scenario?

Try to employ a hollistic approach. Do the problems first to "plant the seeds of inquiry" then hit those textbooks to further enhance your conceptual framework. You will find that reading the textbook becomes much more focused and retention of information is further fascilitated.

Just a few additonal things:

Don't listen to those people who tell you that memorizing Schaum's is the only way you can get a good score. They are just trying to intimidate you and send you on a wild goose chase. The bottom line is you don't have to memorize Schaums or read the entire Campbells textbook to get a good bio score. What good is reading the entire Campbells book if the average person retains 10% of what they read??? Destroyer and Achiever is more than enough practice in my opinion. Both practice materials serve as well designed guides that allow you to focus your readings on more specific material.

As far as gchem...the "conceptual" stuff is no big deal. If you want an idea of difficult conceptual problems, check out some of those free standing MCAT questions. That is difficult stuff. The DAT will always be second rate to the MCAT...achiever and destroyer will prepare you very well!!! I promise!!

Likewise for ochem, Destroyer is more than enough. Just supplement it with some additional readings for areas you are not understanding.

Never underestimate the power of flash cards. Especially for biology. Biology flashcards were essential in my opinion. There will be times when you will need to recite specific information in an effort to choose the "best answer."

TREAT THOSE ACHIEVER TESTS LIKE THE REAL THING. Take them over a period of three weeks. Don't waste those precious tests and take them all in a matter of days. Do what the achiever guy tells you and set up a study plan along with the tests! This will allow you enough time to let material sink in and give you sufficient time to work on your weak points.

WORD OF CAUTION: if you have time at the end of the test, just make sure to double check gchem and ochem answers. I went into the test expecting high 20's for both sections. I was rather surprised when I saw my scores. I think I took both sections for granted and didn't really go over them carefully. I will say that there wasn't a single gchem or ochem question I wasn't sure about....this obviously means I made careless mistakes here and there...READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY!!!

Good scores, give me an advice how to study for bio, and how to manage my time so with in 3 months I'll be able to be prepared for the exam. Thank you !!!!

To poc91nc,
I have been studying biochem a lot. I have been using Schaums outlines and Lehninger textbook. I hope it helps me with my science score. it is a cool stuff, I really learn a lot from it. Somehow after studying biochemistry I strengthened my general biology knowledge. I originally though that biochem will help me with organic, but it turns out it not only helps with organic , it also helps with bio. What do you think?

To poc91nc,
I have been studying biochem a lot. I have been using Schaums outlines and Lehninger textbook. I hope it helps me with my science score. it is a cool stuff, I really learn a lot from it. Somehow after studying biochemistry I strengthened my general biology knowledge. I originally though that biochem will help me with organic, but it turns out it not only helps with organic , it also helps with bio. What do you think?

Sounds like you're on the right track! Just want to say...

Use the biochemistry topics in Achiever/Destroyer to better guide/focus your readings. Also, refer to the DAT syllabus for additional topics. Especially dealing with cell bio, biochem, experimental bio...ect.

Good scores, give me an advice how to study for bio, and how to manage my time so with in 3 months I'll be able to be prepared for the exam. Thank you !!!!

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but here goes...

Lay down the foundation with Destroyer. Make flashcards for every single Bio question. In those flash cards there should information on the correct answer and true statements of fact. Second...transcribe the information in the solutions into flashcards as well. This should take you some time.

As you memorize the information...refer to your textbooks (campbells and a good undergraduate anatomy and physiology book should suffice). Add additional notes the relevent areas in the solution section of the Destroyer.

I found that when I read my textbooks after doing what I did with Destroyer, my reading was a lot more focused. Also, pay attention to the wrong answer choices...often times a question could go either way and is usually lumped together with other closely related topics

Example: pleiotropy, epistasis, polygenic inheritence

Example: missense mutation, nonsense mutation, silent mutation

Next, do this for Achiever as well...no different from the method you used for Destroyer.

At the end of the day...you should be very well rounded. Just remember that rote memorization and comprehension always go hand in hand and will compliment one another.

The method I've outlined is very nitty gritty...but hey...you gotta do what you gotta do. It's like running the football 66 times a game just to get the win. Bone against bone, will against will, muscle against muscle!

Great JOB!

thank you for your WOnderful advice and being so thorough.. :)
Quick Q:
how much time did u spend on Destroyer alone? i only have a month left, and i just got the TS and achiever, now i'm thinking destroyer?? since kaplan's worthless...
anything u'd do diff for PAT? Carck PAT?
thx
missy

Great JOB!

thank you for your WOnderful advice and being so thorough.. :)
Quick Q:
how much time did u spend on Destroyer alone? i only have a month left, and i just got the TS and achiever, now i'm thinking destroyer?? since kaplan's worthless...
anything u'd do diff for PAT? Carck PAT?
thx
missy

Hi DATMissy, I spent a lot of time on the Destroyer, and I really made it the bulk of my studying. First, I would work on each individual subject, make notecards, then do readings.

Once I felt that I had a good grasp of a particular subject, I would go to the next section. After awhile, I only felt it was necessary to do each subject once a week.

During the "integration" stage of my studies, basically trying to study all three science subjects together, I would do additional readings and additional supplemental problems.

Additional supplemental problems came from Organic Chemistry Odyssey, Barron's AP Chemistry, additional quantitative gchem problems I collected, and various other sources for Biology.

It is hard to say if a month is sufficient to get through all the material you have. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with giving myself a month to go through achiever, destroyer, topscore.

I really think that at least a month is needed to really get the most from Destroyer. Of course, people vary and I'm sure you know what works best for you. This is the time to back track and do some reflection. As far as study methods...just do what works best for you. Likewise, the same for your time frame. Just pretend this exam is no different from any other exam you have taken...and follow the same plan of action. You will be fine!

Hi Poc91nc, I took your advice on how to study for DAT. I used Achiever to study for PAT. Wow, achiever PAT is really kicking my butt. However, I was not too impressed with Orgo questions from achiever. Those questions were too simple for DAT. I really liked the PAT section though.
Thanks.

nice job poc.
thank you for the analysis. i will try to do the same thing and hopefully will do good.

btw, good luck in the application process.

Hi DATMissy, I spent a lot of time on the Destroyer, and I really made it the bulk of my studying. First, I would work on each individual subject, make notecards, then do readings.

Once I felt that I had a good grasp of a particular subject, I would go to the next section. After awhile, I only felt it was necessary to do each subject once a week.

During the "integration" stage of my studies, basically trying to study all three science subjects together, I would do additional readings and additional supplemental problems.

Additional supplemental problems came from Organic Chemistry Odyssey, Barron's AP Chemistry, additional quantitative gchem problems I collected, and various other sources for Biology.

It is hard to say if a month is sufficient to get through all the material you have. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with giving myself a month to go through achiever, destroyer, topscore.

I really think that at least a month is needed to really get the most from Destroyer. Of course, people vary and I'm sure you know what works best for you. This is the time to back track and do some reflection. As far as study methods...just do what works best for you. Likewise, the same for your time frame. Just pretend this exam is no different from any other exam you have taken...and follow the same plan of action. You will be fine!

that was really helpful,
Thank you :)

Hi Poc91nc, I took your advice on how to study for DAT. I used Achiever to study for PAT. Wow, achiever PAT is really kicking my butt. However, I was not too impressed with Orgo questions from achiever. Those questions were too simple for DAT. I really liked the PAT section though.
Thanks.

I agree with you regarding the ochem problems in achiever. It usually only took me about 15 min to go through that section, but gchem and bio would take forever! I was always double checking gchem calculations b/c there were so many. By the time I got to orgo, I would only have about 20-15 min.

The achiever bio and gchem is good practice and very good in my opinion. FWIW, I didn't think too much about my results from achiever. It's almost impossible to predict how you'll do on the real test in comparison to achiever. Look at my bio scores for achiever, I never got a 20, yet on the real test, bio was my highest score.

The moral of the story is...anything can happen on any given day!

Good luck!

To poc91nc,

Spend as much time as you can w/ those achiever 3-D explanations. I'm convinced had I spent more time on those instead of just doing the tests, my pat score would've been at least a point or two higher. Given my crap pat score...a 16 or 17 is looking pretty good!

To Poc91nc, Thank you for replying. I am using Achiever like you said. Now I am also using topscore for reading. So far topscore is great and it works. i am trying to reason my way out of the problem. Let`s see if I suceed with that on the reading section. What do you think?
Thank you again for your advice.

hey poc- congrats on the scores.. ive heard that some dental schools dont really concentrate on the pat, im sure you'll be receiving plenty of acceptances in the next few months!!

im using similar materials- rather then using my college bio textbook, i cross reference with the website wikipedia for quick brush ups. the destroyer will be the final work up before the big day.

have you applied yet? and how much time did you study for the dat? your input would be much appreciated- congrats again!

I just want to second the topic that Kaplan gets you 18s. I took the DAT on Sat and got 18s across the board. I only used Kaplan and was pretty confident with their material. As posted above, I was surprised by a lot of the content in the Bio section (and this was my strongest stection in Kaplan).

I got:
Bio: 18
Ochem: 19
Gchem: 17
QR: 17
Read: 18
Pat: 27

Like I said, 18s straight across. PAT was good, but that just comes naturally.
I'm going to retake and possibly use different materials.

I just want to second the topic that Kaplan gets you 18s. I took the DAT on Sat and got 18s across the board. I only used Kaplan and was pretty confident with their material. As posted above, I was surprised by a lot of the content in the Bio section (and this was my strongest stection in Kaplan).

I got:
Bio: 18
Ochem: 19
Gchem: 17
QR: 17
Read: 18
Pat: 27

Like I said, 18s straight across. PAT was good, but that just comes naturally.
I'm going to retake and possibly use different materials.

Maybe you can convince ISSA... Obviously, the more material you use the better. Just keep reviewing your kaplan material and pound out Destroyer and Achiever. You'll be in much better shape.

Good Luck!

hey poc- congrats on the scores.. ive heard that some dental schools dont really concentrate on the pat, im sure you'll be receiving plenty of acceptances in the next few months!!

im using similar materials- rather then using my college bio textbook, i cross reference with the website wikipedia for quick brush ups. the destroyer will be the final work up before the big day.

have you applied yet? and how much time did you study for the dat? your input would be much appreciated- congrats again!

~7 weeks to cover all the subjects and 5 weeks studying all three science subjects simultaneously. BUT...I probably could've studied half as much for the chems, but it's always good to be on the safe side!

I'm in the process of applying and it's driving me pretty crazy. I hate this stuff...two of my professors I'm seeking for LOR, I think they're senile or something, just great.

Since I was weak in physiology, I went out and bought myself a used copy of
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY by Elaine Marieb. It's a really good undergraduate level book. Highly recommended for reference if you're weak in this area.

Just make sure you double check some things you run into on wikipedia...for the most part it's correct, but you never know....

Hope this helps! Good luck!

To Poc91nc, Thank you for replying. I am using Achiever like you said. Now I am also using topscore for reading. So far topscore is great and it works. i am trying to reason my way out of the problem. Let`s see if I suceed with that on the reading section. What do you think?
Thank you again for your advice.

Hey Dotoday,

I think the passages you find in practice material are about right for what you will see on the big test. Whats difficult is finding the appropriate questions that simulate the real thing.

Since I heard so many people say that the real test questions regarding the passage were different...I didn't even practice this section. Luckily, since English is my first language I was able to pull an 18 (not great but I'll take it).

Since you said english isn't your first language....I suppose the more practice the better. I hear that Examkrackers asks questions that are more of the inference type. If anything, the practice material (DAT material) will give you practice with locating answers within the passage. Which is good b/c that is exactly what you will have to do on the real test. You simply don't have enough time to read the whole passage....just hunt for answers and with inference answers...mark those and do them last so you'll have a better idea of what the passage is about.

I know my RC score wasn't that great....but just wanted to share my experience! Hope it helps!