DAT DONE!!! Full Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orgodox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FINALLY DONE!!!

First of all thanks to all you guys on this forum it was really a great help and a lot of fun.

I have a lot of advice and tips for what TO DO that might help you guys studying but first of all I have one piece of advice of what NOT TO DO! When I was taking the test I was very relaxed (surprisingly so) and to stay comfortable had my feet stretched out straight under my desk. Well apparently I kicked the power cord because in the middle of my test my comp turned off! I freaked out! I ran out of the room and there like “You need to sign out” Im like sign out? My computer is off!+pissed+ I kept telling my self I better not have one of these crazy stories like pen drying out or be in a noisy room. Well sure enough here I am part of that club. Its actually kind of funny now and it’s a good story Ill have forever. Any how they told me to relax and the comp saves your work every second and they had it running again within a few minutes but the screen was doing this blinking thing and I lost a few mins and took a while for my heart to stop racing but overall it was fine. So be careful with your feet when you take your test!

I took it at 1 Penn plaza. The testing conditions were great. They had a lot of AC on, but be prepared it takes time to sign in and sign out of the room during your break they are in no rush to bring out that log book and find your name. People complain that the clacking of the keyboard from other peoples test which require essays annoys them. I didn’t find this distracting, but they offer headphones that cancel the noise if you want. However, if you don’t practice with them I think they are more of a distraction. I schedules my test for 1:30 PM because I dint want to wake up earlier than Im used to to get into the city to start it for the AM test. I came over an hour early and they let me start when I got there. Also get a lot of sleep the week of your test in case you cant sleep the night before and don’t stay up every night that week cramming. It won help, you should be in review mode not cram/ learn mode by then.
I used about 5 minutes of the tutorial in the beginning to get used to my seat and the desk and find a place for the eraser… So use that time to get comfortable. Make sure both your markers are working well before you start and be sure to keep capping them after you use them. They gave me 3 laminated pink sheets (all had the little boxes on both sides) and an eraser and I thought it worked great. You have to press a little hard to erase but its really nothing and come right off. I would strongly recommend taking one of your practice tests with a marker and a white board. Some of you might write small and this wont work at all with the fat markers they give you especially on the QR section. You don’t have to use it all the time but be comfortable enough that it wont throw you off.

I studied for a long time for this test and used a lot of different resources because I didn’t want to come out of the test disappointed and knowing I could have done more to prepare. So I therefore read and used as many resources as I could to prepare for this test and I feel that I can therefore give an objective opinion of what I thought was helpful and what was a total waste of time. BUT before I do that here are some of my science scores:

Bio : 21
GChem: 22
Orgo: 23

TS: 22 (96%)
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guy I thought I would bring this thread back for the next round of people studying for their DAT now and for those who are already studying or are looking for what materials to use and plan to take it this summer. I hope you find this information (in the first two posts in the thread) helpful and good luck to all of you! If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them here

Just a quick update: I will be attending my top choice next year: University of Maryland!

Thanks to everyone for their help and support! Good luck...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats man !!! I have been reading SDN DAT discussions for a long time and you have done an amazing job with this breakdown its really helpful . You mentioned an MCAT book for the RC section that would be very helpful, do you know its exact name? what is the best QR book to prepare for the DAT ?

Thank you very much !