DAT Destroyer Gen Chem Questions problem 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsk26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im trying to understand the concept as well as math for problem 28 in the gen chem section of dat destroyer. If there is 1x10^-12 M HCl solution is that why water needs to be incorporated in the solution? Also, the solution says 1x10^-12 + 1x10-7 is around 1x10^-7. I don't understand how that makes sense?

Members don't see this ad.

Im trying to understand the concept as well as math for problem 28 in the gen chem section of dat destroyer. If there is 1x10^-12 M HCl solution is that why water needs to be incorporated in the solution? Also, the solution says 1x10^-12 + 1x10-7 is around 1x10^-7. I don't understand how that makes sense?
The acid has a VERY VERY low concentration......thus we must consider the small amount given by the water,.,,,,the hydrolysis of water !!! Water will give us 1 x 10 exp -7 of hydronium ions......usually we dont need to count it.....but in this case we do, since the acid concentration is so SMALL. If you add 1 x 10 exp 12- plus 1 X 10 exp 7-...we get approx a value of 1 x10 exp -7. Thus the pH is about 7 .

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

The acid has a VERY VERY low concentration......thus we must consider the small amount given by the water,.,,,,the hydrolysis of water !!! Water will give us 1 x 10 exp -7 of hydronium ions......usually we dont need to count it.....but in this case we do, since the acid concentration is so SMALL. If you add 1 x 10 exp 12- plus 1 X 10 exp 7-...we get approx a value of 1 x10 exp -7. Thus the pH is about 7 .

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

I understand that it is low concentrations and why we add hydronium ions from water, but for some reason, I am having trouble figuring out how to add (or even subtract) numbers written in scientific notation that have exponents that are more than a few digits away. For example its easy to add 1.2x10 exp -7 plus 1.2x10 exp -8, but how would you quickly determine that 1 x 10 exp 12- plus 1 X 10 exp 7- is equal to about 1 x10 exp -7??

I understand that it is low concentrations and why we add hydronium ions from water, but for some reason, I am having trouble figuring out how to add (or even subtract) numbers written in scientific notation that have exponents that are more than a few digits away. For example its easy to add 1.2x10 exp -7 plus 1.2x10 exp -8, but how would you quickly determine that 1 x 10 exp 12- plus 1 X 10 exp 7- is equal to about 1 x10 exp -7??
Let's keep life simple......if you add 1 x 10 exp-7 to 1.x10 exp-8. -9. -10, -11, -12, -13.....it would be approximately . 1 x10 exp-7 as well. Thus when you do a pH calculation, you get a value very close to 7. Take out a calculator and prove this to yourself.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, .0000007 + .00000000001 = .0000007
The other value is way too small when you add them and round up.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's keep life simple......if you add 1 x 10 exp-7 to 1.x10 exp-8. -9. -10, -11, -12, -13.....it would be approximately . 1 x10 exp-7 as well. Thus when you do a pH calculation, you get a value very close to 7. Take out a calculator and prove this to yourself.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano
Ohh I see, I don't know why I didn't realize that earlier... Needed to take a break I guess haha. Thanks so much though!

Reactions: 1 user