DAT Destroyer 2017 vs 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted767759

I plan on retaking my DAT this fall and placing more focus on destroyer this time around. However, I have the 2017 version. Does anyone know if this would still suffice for the 2020 DAT?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quoting Feralis in another thread "Yes, the QR section has been updated as you've noted. In 2017 a question type called "Quantitative Comparison" was added (these are also found on the GRE). There's also data analysis questions. I would suggest using resources from 2018 or newer when preparing for this section."

Reactions: 1 users
I plan on retaking my DAT this fall and placing more focus on destroyer this time around. However, I have the 2017 version. Does anyone know if this would still suffice for the 2020 DAT?
thanks!

Hi! I think you were pretty active on the forums a while ago before taking your DAT. Can I ask, how did it go? Any particular score that makes you want to retake?

As for 2017 vs 2020, highly recommend getting the newest version of the Destroyer. New problems are added each year. More importantly though, like was mentioned, a new QR section was added and certain aspects removed - definitely get the new edition.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I think you were pretty active on the forums a while ago before taking your DAT. Can I ask, how did it go? Any particular score that makes you want to retake?

As for 2017 vs 2020, highly recommend getting the newest version of the Destroyer. New problems are added each year. More importantly though, like was mentioned, a new QR section was added and certain aspects removed - definitely get the new edition.
I wasn't ecstatic about my score - and thought I neglected the harder practice problems to really prepare me. hence, why I'm trying to make a careful decision with study material this time around. any advice helps :)

I also don't want to waste a fortune.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't ecstatic about my score - and thought I neglected the harder practice problems to really prepare me. hence, why I'm trying to make a careful decision with study material this time around. any advice helps :)

I also don't want to waste a fortune.

Gotcha! Well, now there's only room for improvement. Good on your for realizing that.

I always highly recommend the Destroyer materials. I used the General Destroyer + Math Destroyer (and associated Orgoman YouTube videos) + Dynamite Bio Notes exclusively for everything but RC and PAT, and it ended up pretty well I'd say. If you're weaker in GC or OC, I've heard great things about the OC Odyssey and GC Destroyers as well. Just remember, it's always better to over-prepare for the worst than to under-prepare and suffer on test day.

Know these books well enough, and you're destined to get a pretty good score.

There is a slight difference between the versions. The only real disadvantage you have is that the 2017 destroyer doesn't have the updated comparison math questions. Otherwise the book is 95% the same. I actually had 2 versions, a 2017 and a 2019, most of the problems are the same. Don't get suckered by people on SDN who are affiliated with DAT prep companies telling you that you must have the 2020 version.

Gotcha! Well, now there's only room for improvement. Good on your for realizing that.

I always highly recommend the Destroyer materials. I used the General Destroyer + Math Destroyer (and associated Orgoman YouTube videos) + Dynamite Bio Notes exclusively for everything but RC and PAT, and it ended up pretty well I'd say. If you're weaker in GC or OC, I've heard great things about the OC Odyssey and GC Destroyers as well. Just remember, it's always better to over-prepare for the worst than to under-prepare and suffer on test day.

Know these books well enough, and you're destined to get a pretty good score.
thanks a bunch, really! for dynamite notes : I will be honest ; I didn't really look at it but noticed a few VERY random bio questions on my exam that I completely guessed on. So would dynamite help in that sense?

There is a slight difference between the versions. The only real disadvantage you have is that the 2017 destroyer doesn't have the updated comparison math questions. Otherwise the book is 95% the same. I actually had 2 versions, a 2017 and a 2019, most of the problems are the same. Don't get suckered by people on SDN who are affiliated with DAT prep companies telling you that you must have the 2020 version.
thank you , much appreciated :)

thanks a bunch, really! for dynamite notes : I will be honest ; I didn't really look at it but noticed a few VERY random bio questions on my exam that I completely guessed on. So would dynamite help in that sense?

Yes, I definitely think that would help. The bio section can be so random, so a general knowledge of everything can be very helpful.

And to the 95% point - of course the books remain largely the same. The DAT isn't entirely reworked each year. Some problems from previous years will be reused, so the Destroyers reflect that I would say. But new materials/questions are added each year, which is also reflected. Just because I support the products does not mean I'm affiliated in anyway, but that's neither here nor there.

Yes, I definitely think that would help. The bio section can be so random, so a general knowledge of everything can be very helpful.

And to the 95% point - of course the books remain largely the same. The DAT isn't entirely reworked each year. Some problems from previous years will be reused, so the Destroyers reflect that I would say. But new materials/questions are added each year, which is also reflected. Just because I support the products does not mean I'm affiliated in anyway, but that's neither here nor there.
awesome thanks! appreciate the clear-cut advice regardless of what each of us support. Definitely placing more focus on destroyer this time.