DAT date - too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ani13

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed my pre-requisites for the DAT and I want to take it this summer and also apply. I want to take it around July 31-August 4 but I was wondering if that is too late in the application process. Specifically, is it late for University of Detroit Mercy and University of Michigan? What is considered "early" admissions? I want to take it sooner but I'm currently taking 17 credits so will not start studying till the end of April. When do you recommend taking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the DAT in April is the most desirable option. Should you need to retake, you have to wait 90 days which puts you into July. The AADSAS process is long and it isn't unusual to have your application take the full 6 weeks to become complete BEFORE being mailed out to schools for review.

People like to submit everything first week of June so that by end of June or early July their app is sent for review.

You can submit your app without a DAT score.

Taking it end of July or early August won't be a losing situation. People take it later with success.

Take the exam only when you feel confident to score your best. Just consider the 90 day waiting requirement should you have one section that turns out to be a flop.

For many, an "early"application would be one that's submitted before the end of July.

That being said, taking the DAT around July 31 - August 4 and then applying is totally fine. In fact, you can even start your application early and submit it (IIRC) before taking the DAT. But most schools won't look at your application until its entirely completed (though a few will consider your unofficial DAT score that you receive immediately after taking the test via emails).

I want to take it sooner but I'm currently taking 17 credits so will not start studying till the end of April. When do you recommend taking the DAT?

To answer this question, it's entirely up to you. I understand everyone is different, but if you're the average Joe, I think you can definitely take it during the semester if you have the right mindset. All you have to do is give yourself an hour or two everyday for 2-3 months (remember, most of the material on the DAT should be review). Let's say you plan wisely and choose to take the DAT during the weekend of a weeklong break you have later in the semester, that way you'll have an entire week to dedicate yourself to review all the material you learned during the prior 2-3 months. If you choose this route, you'll have another chance later in the year to retake the DAT again if you are not happy with your score. Taking the DAT in the middle of the cycle isn't always the best course of action if you suddenly received a score you are unhappy with because you'll have to wait 3 months before retaking the DAT again and that can certainly push your application back.

Good luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
Mid-July DAT is generally the cutoff to be considered for interview within the first wave of admissions.

Source: I know a lot of adcoms

I would suggest April-May.

Reactions: 1 user
I took mine July 13th and applied immediately after. It takes about a week or so for the DAT scores to be mailed and processed thru AADSAS. My AADSAS mail-out date ended up being the first week of August. Although many have told me that is still considered early, if I could do it again I would've taken it in mid-June at the very latest.

Hey guys, I took the DAT already but I want to retake in July 1st. I want to apply as early as possible but I do not want to use my earlier DAT (18AA/19PAT). Should I wait still i finish the retake then apply or apply then retake? I really do not know much about how the retake process works when you apply for the cycle.

Thanks A ton !!!!

Hey guys, I took the DAT already but I want to retake in July 1st. I want to apply as early as possible but I do not want to use my earlier DAT (18AA/19PAT). Should I wait still i finish the retake then apply or apply then retake? I really do not know much about how the retake process works when you apply for the cycle.

Thanks A ton !!!!

I believe in your application they will ask if you have already applied before and if yes, what is new in this application process. You can put your scores and write that you are retaking it in July in hopes of scoring better on the DAT. Regardless the schools you submit your score to will see both the old and new ones. Good luck!

I took the DAT on July 26th. I scored really well though. I ended up with 8 interviews but I think it did affect some schools that interviewed hella early. But for Detroit specifcially, I actually applied there on December 16th or something and got invited to their last interview date. I got really lucky though and I wouldn't advise applying that late. I think applying 2 months late won't affect it that much for Detroit. I didn't apply to Michigan. Goodluck!

I sent in my app with everything but the DAT in June and took the DAT July 11th. My scores posted July 27th and my application was complete. I received my first interview invite in early August. I know people who have take it that "late" and were fine but if possible, maybe shoot for mid July and already have that application in (getting transcripts/LORs in and GPA calculations done) while you wait.