DAT Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandabutter

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’ve really enjoyed these posts and think they are super helpful to gain an idea of what to expect for the exam and how to best prepare. Obviously, everyone prepares for these exams a little differently, however here is what worked best for me.

A little background: I just graduated with my undergraduate degree in Biology, have a 3.94 GPA and am applying this cycle.

My Scores are as follows:
IMG_6547.JPG

Materials I used:
  1. DATBooster: This program was so good. I felt like it had everything I could have needed. There was a distinct section for each of the DAT sections which I believed correlated very well with what was on the real exam. DATBooster also was a little more difficult than the actual exam, which helped me prepare. Not to mention it is a cheaper program than its top competitor- DATBootcamp. The PAT section was super representative on this program and it also supplied great tactics for each type of section.
  2. Chads DAT Prep: I really enjoyed using Chads prep with regards to general chemistry and organic chemistry. He did a great job at making his videos very personable- it practically felt like I was in the classroom with him. I would recommend using his program if you are struggling with Chemistry. His bio sections were not as representative as DATBoosters I thought, but still good.
Study timeline: So, this can differ with everyone. It is recommended to study after your sophomore year (after organic chemistry) so that it is fresh in your mind. I took a little different approach since I wasn’t fully set on dental school at the time. I ended studying for and taking the DAT my last semester of college (Was not fun lol). But it was good for me because I knew I was 100% committed to a career in dentistry and it gave me adequate time to make that decision. When studying for the exam, DATBooster provided 3 different timelines of recommended study schedules- I choose the 10-week version. I ended up studying from January 9th until May 1st (day of exam). This gave me some days off and a spring break off to enjoy. Most important takeaway from this is make sure you have a plan, whether it is the one provided or just one you create because the material can become overwhelming. Also, it’s important to take days off. Enjoy weekends and try to get outside.

To preface: I ended up pushing my DAT back from April 21st to May 1st around April 9th. I wasn’t fully confident with my scores, and it was such a good decision. I used the extra few weeks to really dial in with what I wasn’t comfortable with.

Biology: The exam had biology being very similar to DATBoosters level of bio. Typically, questions aren’t very deep and sophisticated, they usually are simple questions with a more obvious answer. I had a couple that were deep questions but that's how the exam goes. I HIGHLY recommend printing out hard copy bio notes whether it be Feralis’ notes from DATBooster or other notes. Everyday go through one chapter and read it twice, marking and annotating both times. The next day, re-read that chapter and try to understand concepts you are unsure of. Rinse and repeat. It isn’t fun at the moment, but it will pay off heavily.

General Chemistry: I took gen chem my freshmen year and so haven’t seen the material in four years so to say it was a struggle was an understatement. I really had to focus on this section and try to understand the concepts. Each day I read a chapter and would practice practice practice. I would recommend redoing questions as much as possible. Also make sure to look at the formula sheet and try to memorize that. Take a section (i.e. Acid & Base) and really try to understand how the concepts relate to the formulas.

Organic Chemistry: This section is straight ford. The exam was very similar to DATBoosters arrangement of questions. I had some multistep synthesis problems that I would suggest being prepared for. Also, each day just take a reaction type (i.e. alkenes) and really try to memorize them. Do this each day and you will be familiar with the reagents in no time. I really liked organic chemistry because it’s fun problem solving trying to get from one thing to another.

QR: Very similar to the practice problems on DATBooster. For this section, do a practice test and see what you are struggling with most. For me, I had a harder time with probability-based questions and so I would hyper focus them. If geometry isn’t your thing, then focus on geometry.

Reading: Man, my score bummed me out on this one. On all the practice tests I took, I used a search and destroy method and nailed it. I was scoring 26’s on each practice test thinking that method was a perfect one for me. During the exam that method failed brutally. The exam made it impossible to use that method and it threw me for a loop. I would recommend being comfortable with a few strategies, knowing that this section could easily be made extremely difficult and to be ready to use a different method.

PAT: I didn’t study a ton for the PAT, I primarily did TFE, Keyhole, and some pattern folding a few times a week. I loved this section because it was a break from all the memorizing material. For this section, I think focusing on what you are bad at and doing practice for it is the most beneficial. DATBooster had an incredibly representative question bank for these that was honestly harder than the actual exam.

Additional comments: The day of the exam just be confident that you have put in all this work and know the material by now. Day before the exam, just enjoy it and relax. I watched Star Wars and played Xbox lol. At this point, the last three months you have worked so hard and deserve to relax. Go on a walk, get outside, even workout. Studying for the DAT can get overwhelming, but just take it one day at a time. Be proud of yourself! It’s an incredible feeling being done with this exam that you will soon have!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the score! Seems like you've got the stats! Make sure to get your app in early if you can and good luck this cycle!
Thank you! Didn't realize you were accepted already- Ignore my other comment. Congratulations and best of luck with your future!