DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jrader98

Reaction score
I took the DAT on 5/26/2022, and I used DAT Bootcamp as my primary studying source. I got an overall score of 21, and I was super happy with that score considering my circumstances. I was taking a full load of classes during spring 2022 and working part time, so it was hard for me to have consistent, meaningful study times. After spring semester ended I had about three weeks of good solid study until I took the test. Here’s the breakdown of each section:

Biology: 22
This was my highest scoring section, and I owe it to DAT Bootcamp. On the practice tests for this section, I was getting low scores (14, 14, 16, 18, etc.). I was really worried about this section because biology covers a large spectrum of information and either you know it or don’t. However, the questions on the DAT seemed generally easier than the questions on DAT Bootcamp. Studying the biology section intensively on DAT Bootcamp will prepare you great for the real test.
General Chemistry: 21
Organic Chemistry: 21
For the chemistry sections, I probably spent the least amount of time studying. General chemistry was important for me to spend time on because it has been so long since I took the class. I just took organic chemistry last summer so that was still fresh. I think I watched hours of Mike’s videos, and I found them so helpful. It was entertaining watching him in 2x speed, but he covers everything you need to know on the DAT. It was important to remember common formulas like PV=nRT. These sections do overlap at times, and my organic chemistry knowledge helped me on the general chemistry section. Overall, Mike’s videos and the question banks helped me the most and prepared me well for the test.
Perceptual Ability: 20
This section is exactly the same on the DAT and DAT Bootcamp. There were no surprises or anything different, so I was happy about that. I watched all the videos about each section on the perceptual ability portion, and Joel gives so many helpful tips. The one that benefitted me most was the hole punch section. For a long time, I was studying these questions and just trying to picture it unfolding in my head. When I started drawing out my 4x4 grids, I went from getting 7/15 to 14 or 15/15. Use the tricks they recommend because this one really helped me. Plus the videos are super entertaining because Joel is always involving his cute dog in them.
Reading Comprehension: 18
This was the lowest score I received. I have always struggled with reading comprehension on standardized tests. I know I would have done even worse without using DAT Bootcamp. This section is also the same as on the real DAT, three reading sections and 15-17 questions on each section. I initially tried using the search and destroy method, but after watching the videos, I thought I would try a different method. I ended up using the simple method (reading the entire passage and answering the questions). This was the method that ended up working the best for me. When I started this section, I started to read the first passage as if I was going to do the simple method, but I started stressing and switched to the search an destroy method. I don’t recommend this because I never ended up even understanding the passage. If you struggle on this type of section like I do, keep doing the practice tests on DAT Bootcamp until you feel comfortable. If I could go back, I would do every practice test on this section.
Quantitative Reasoning: 21
I have always done well in math, so I wasn’t too worried about this section. Lots of the algebra and probability I learned so long ago that I needed a refresher. I mainly just went through the question bank, and if there was a concept that I couldn’t remember, I would watch the videos. There were many helpful equations that I memorized and used on the DAT. For this section, I would recommend just doing a practice test to see where you are at and go back and study the specific sections that you struggle on. It’s mostly basic math, and this section will most likely require the least amount of studying (unless you have struggled with math).

The most helpful aspect of DAT Bootcamp was the full-length practice tests. Take as many as you can because they are structured exactly how the DAT was. I only took two full length tests, and I wish I had taken more. After a full-length test, you will know exactly which sections you do great in, and which sections you need to spend more time studying. I definitely think DAT Bootcamp gives you the most bang for your buck. I was able to find a promo code online, so paying a little over $400 was well worth it to get a 21 on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad.