DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicky Kuprewicz

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to share how I studied for the DAT since I was pretty happy with my scores and wanted to help others get started with studying!

Scores:
AA: 23 / Bio: 23 / Organic Chemistry: 21 / General Chemistry: 22 / PAT: 23 / RC: 23 /QR: 24

My Timeline:
Personally, I started studying about two months before my exam but some people may need more or less time! I used DATBooster, which gives you a 10 week study guide, so I started off watching the videos and doing the practice questions they recommended. When I got closer to my exam date, I ended up making my own study schedule, and I would recommend doing this from the beginning once you get a grasp on what you want to focus on (videos, readings, notes, review questions). I think it’s best to personalize your study journey in order to get the most effective studying in.

At first, I spent about 3 to 4 hours a day studying since I was still at school. Since I decided to dedicate my winter break to studying, I would spend about 5 to 8 hours studying a day while I was at home. I really prioritized taking study breaks and tried to figure out what time of day I am most productive because there were days where I would study for 8 hours but retained very little since I wasn’t focused. Try not to treat your study plan as just a box to check off, make sure you actually understand the material!

Materials I Used:
1. DATBooster - At the beginning, I really focused on the videos that DATBooster provided since I thought it was a good way to review the material I had seen before in classes. When I was watching them, I would take notes on the things I thought were important or that I knew I needed more time to memorize. Especially for organic chemistry, the videos do a great job of explaining each mechanism very clearly. After completing all of the videos, I focused on the practice questions. Most of the questions come with a detailed explanation and video of the correct answer, so I made sure to go through every explanation and understand it. I would also use the PAT generators daily so that I could get used to the type of questions that would show up on exam day.
2. Class Notes - I used my class notes from Biology and Organic Chemistry in order to review basic concepts. I knew I had seen most of the material before so I thought it was really helpful to go back to the basics of each class and make sure I understand them.
3. ANKI - Do not underestimate the importance of ANKI flashcards! I downloaded my set from DAT Bootcamp for Organic Chemistry, QR, General Chemistry, and Biology. Personally, I didn’t use Anki a lot just because I did not have that much time, but I really wish I had! It is a great tool for memorizing specific facts from each topic as the app makes sure you master each flashcard. Plus, flashcards are great to do in the car, while you’re waiting in line, or if you just want a quick 5 minute review.
4. Quizlet - I also used Quizlet flashcards for the Biology section, which I got from DATBooster. I think these were a bit more helpful than the DAT Bootcamp ANKI Biology flashcards because they were more concise and also taught you the concepts in order.

Strategies I used:
Keep in mind, everyone’s brain works differently, what worked for me may not work for someone else, so try out a lot of different strategies!

Reading Questions Before - On the actual exam, you are able to highlight text in the passage. Therefore, I always skimmed the questions before I started reading. Then, I would read the whole passage and highlight text that I knew had the answers to some problems!

Drawing Out Hole Punching - For the hole punching section of the PAT, I would get perfect scores once I started drawing out the squares on my scratch paper. I found that it was easier than memorizing where each hole is. Also, if you get stuck on these, look to the answers for help, sometimes they will be missing holes that are obviously there, so you can eliminate those!

Cube Counting - I would always make a T-chart and tally how many boxes there were for each category. Plus, I would start on the left side and count each level of each row and then move onto the next row of cubes.

Angles - Just trust your gut (and your eyes)! Don’t think about it too much!

Biology Process of Elimination - the biology section is really testing how much information you know - and there is a lot! I would always try to think of the answer first before looking at the actual answers, but if I got stuck, I would look to the answers for help. Try to think of what you know about each answer and use the knowledge you do have to imply what the right answer might be.

I hope that was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you want any study advice or have any questions! Good luck, you will all do great :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_6287.jpg
    IMG_6287.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user