This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalman2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT Breakdown below.

26AA | 28 TS | 30 OC | 27 GC | 26 Bio | 22 RC | 24 QR | 25 PAT

Special thanks to Ari at DAT Bootcamp & DAT Destroyer. I am a non-traditional student who hasn't taken Biology in 10 years, work full-time, and am not a "good" test taker. My only opportunities to study were before work every morning and on weekends.

Destroyer and Bootcamp are the two resources that you need to succeed. This test is a matter of focus and determination.

More Breakdown to follow...

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20170829_132449.jpg.compressed.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: 9 users
Very impressive scores... Love that 30 in orgo!
Best of luck with your application, and looking forward to that breakdown...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DAT Breakdown below.

Special thanks to Ari at DAT Bootcamp & DAT Destroyer. I am a non-traditional student who hasn't taken Biology in 10 years, work full-time, and am not a "good" test taker. My only opportunities to study were before work every morning and on weekends.

Destroyer and Bootcamp are the two resources that you need to succeed. This test is a matter of focus and determination.

Congratulations, I absolutely agree it is a matter of focus and determination that gets the high DAT scores! Your Bio scores are amazing for a student who has not taken it in 10 years. I am glad my book the DAT Destroyer was part of your DAT tool box.

Good luck

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations, I absolutely agree it is a matter of focus and determination that gets the high DAT scores! Your Bio scores are amazing for a student who has not taken it in 10 years. I am glad my book the DAT Destroyer was part of your DAT tool box.

Good luck

Dr. Jim Romano

Thank you, Dr. Romano.
For those who do not think DAT Destroyer is necessary... I would've missed ~15 additional questions on Biology and QR alone had I not completed BOTH the ENTIRE DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer 3x and CAREFULLY reviewed every single (and I mean every single) question until it became second nature to me. To give you perspective, if someone had asked me what a Nephron was in December 2016, I would've told them that it is Neuron spelled incorrectly.

Reactions: 4 users
DAT Breakdown below.

did u do any content review first? or jump straight into the DAT destroyer

DAT Breakdown below.

did you do any content review or did you just straight into dat destroyer and bootcamp?

I did content review, which is part of DAT Bootcamp's curriculum. When I get a few free minutes I'll detail my content review for Bio, but it entailed ~6 weeks of Cliffs AP Bio augmented with CrashCourse for Anatomy & Physio (perfect amount of detail for this test), Khan Academy for a handful of videos, Handwritten tutorials (great for the Immune System), and Coursesaver for the Cell Molec portion of Biology.

For Chemistry content review you just need to follow the DAT Bootcamp schedule for review. I recommend using Coursesaver (Chad). Mike (Bootcamp) is great, but Chad goes a step beyond what Mike offers in the Chemistry content review and really answers the "why" question for Chemistry content. When you take the DAT it's not going to help you if you can plug in values for Molarity vs. Molality into a formula, you need to be able to look at a question and immediately ask and answer this question, "What concept is the DAT testing me on this question and how do I answer it as quickly as possible?"

I've seen Dr. Romano tell people that there is no secret formula or easy path to scoring well on the DAT. I couldn't agree more. If you're like me and feel like, "How can a 'normal' person score well?" It's through taking ownership of these fantastic resources, and not being satisfied until you are confident that you understand the concepts being tested.

Hope this helps.

I did content review, which is part of DAT Bootcamp's curriculum. When I get a few free minutes I'll detail my content review for Bio, but it entailed ~6 weeks of Cliffs AP Bio augmented with CrashCourse for Anatomy & Physio (perfect amount of detail for this test), Khan Academy for a handful of videos, Handwritten tutorials (great for the Immune System), and Coursesaver for the Cell Molec portion of Biology.

For Chemistry content review you just need to follow the DAT Bootcamp schedule for review. I recommend using Coursesaver (Chad). Mike (Bootcamp) is great, but Chad goes a step beyond what Mike offers in the Chemistry content review and really answers the "why" question for Chemistry content. When you take the DAT it's not going to help you if you can plug in values for Molarity vs. Molality into a formula, you need to be able to look at a question and immediately ask and answer this question, "What concept is the DAT testing me on this question and how do I answer it as quickly as possible?"

I've seen Dr. Romano tell people that there is no secret formula or easy path to scoring well on the DAT. I couldn't agree more. If you're like me and feel like, "How can a 'normal' person score well?" It's through taking ownership of these fantastic resources, and not being satisfied until you are confident that you understand the concepts being tested.

Hope this helps.
Yes this helps, thank you a ton! For the DAT Bootcamp, is this what you are talking about? DAT Bootcamp | Free Online DAT Practice Tests

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT Breakdown

General Tips:

1. Prioritize: an exceptional score on this test takes an exceptional effort. This is why dental schools place such an emphasis on the score. If you are looking for advice on “How to score well in 30 days or less,” you’ve come to the wrong breakdown. My wife and I added up the number of review questions that I did, and realized that excluding PAT practice, I did no less than 10,000 review questions. For me to score like I did, I said “no” to literally everything. No trips, no weekend plans, no Netflix binges, no Social Media. My schedule looked like this:
    • 2 AM: wakeup and exercise (30 minutes)
    • 3 AM: Sit down and begin studying what I planned the SUNDAY evening before. That’s right- I planned my ENTIRE week on Sunday.
    • 8 AM: Go to work (depending on whether I was flying, sometimes I would study in my hotel room or on the plane)
    • 6 PM: Arrive home from work, eat dinner, watch Chad’s video on topic that interested me (unplanned)
    • 7 PM: Go to sleep
*This was not a long-term schedule for me, nor do most students have to have such a crazy schedule, but I am a morning person and I wanted to give my best hours to my future instead of trying to refocus after a long day at work.*

2. Plan: I planned out my entire week every Sunday night. A mistake that I’ve made in the past is believing, “If I follow this guide, then I will succeed at xyz.” There is some truth to that, but I think set me apart in this process was my ability to honestly re-evaluate my progress on a weekly basis and progress on a time-line that meant I was actually absorbing material effectively. I recommend buying a notebook and listing out everything you have going on that week (eg. Do you need to go to the grocery store – put it on the list, Do you need to clean your apartment – put it on the list). The moral of the story is, take ownership of this process, make a plan, stick to your plan, re-evaluate your plan (repeat).
*I did all of my bootcamp practice tests on a laminated sheet of grid paper with dry erase Expo markers. This was incredibly helpful because I felt like the actual DAT was no different than my practice. I can't emphasize how important this was for me.*

3. Identify your advocates and set expectations appropriately: This is something that I still actively work on. I still don’t tell people, “I’m going to dental school.” Why? I haven’t been accepted. ****, I haven’t even finished my pre-reqs. If you set expectations for people that you are working hard to do well on a test, but that neither you nor anyone else knows how well you will do, it will take an enormous pressure off of you. If you don’t score like you want, you’ll still maintain credibility with yourself and others. Also, develop relationships with people that will encourage and protect you throughout the DAT process (for me that was my wife, parents, and a few close friends), put your blinders on and work.​

Enough of that, on to the breakdown…
  1. Biology Resources (Content Review):
  • Cliff’s 3rd Edition AP Bio (Essential)
    • I watched at least 1 video per chapter from:
      • Coursesaver: Cell Molec videos
      • Crash Course: A&P
      • Handwritten Tutorials: A&P (only the overview videos!)
      • Khan: Overview videos of different systems
  • Feralis Notes (Nice to have)
    • Every question that had from Destroyer I put my own notes into Feralis. Whenever I would miss a question, I would re-read a portion of Feralis which would include my note. Over time, this became second nature.
    • I recommend using Feralis as your repository for information. Any questions you miss or fact you come across, log it in Feralis notes.
2. Biology Review (Questions)
  • DAT Destroyer
    • Completed 3x, reviewed every missed question in an excel document 1x/week.
  • DAT Bootcamp
    • Completed every quiz 1x and read through each answer. Took notes in Feralis on anything that I picked up from the answers. Breath over depth.
3. Chemistry Review (Content)
  • Chad's Reviews (necessary) I've used Chad’s Reviews for all Gen Chem, O Chem, and Physics since fall 2015. When I started with Chad, I hadn't taken a science class in 10 years and felt completely overwhelmed at the thought of being thrust back into classes that I thought would be impossible . I think Chad is the best for one reason; he gives you the “why” answer behind all of science. Chad isn't going to show you how to plug in values into molarity and molality formulas, he's going to help you understand at a practical level what the concepts are, what they are not, and how to conceptualize them on test day. I often feel like Chad answers the questions that I have before I can even ask them myself. Finally, Chad is a wizard with word pictures and you really feel like you can conceptualize these chemistry concepts (eg. I bet anyone who has used his course can remember these questions, “does anyone know how much a mole of basketball’s weighs?” “Does anyone know what my wife’s favorite color is?”). The point is, understanding the material, mentally filing the material, and accessing the material, is the key
** If you do not use Chad for O Chem review you are making a mistake **
  • Mike’s Reviews (Good. I think Mike is a great teacher, I connected with Chad so I stuck with what made sense. Mike did review a few topics that Chad didn’t and I could watch it at 2x speed which was fantastic)
4. Chemistry Review (Questions)
  • DAT Destroyer: 3x
    • I reviewed Destroyer thoroughly every time, but the third time that I completed it anything that I got wrong, I put into a excel document and reviewed those answers at least once weekly (and the morning of my DAT)
  • Coursesaver questions: 1x
  • DAT Bootcamp: 2x
    • These questions are great indicators of real DAT questions and the best thing is that Bootcamp puts you in a simulated environment. After mastering the Gen Chem clock, the real DAT was a breeze.
    • I reviewed each of these tests a second time about a month after taking them and made sure that I was solid on the content. About 3 weeks before my test, I realized that I was weak in Stoichiometry, Bootcamp allowed me to really hone in on those weaknesses and maximize my score.
5. PAT
  • To give a litmus test at how much of a “natural” I am at the PAT. I took a Kaplan (easy) PAT right when I started studying and made a 13.
  • I sacrificed my lunch break at work every day to spend 15 minutes on each of the PAT simulators from DAT Bootcamp. If this was the only resource you received for from Bootcamp, it would be worth the full subscription price!
  • About a month before the test, I re completed all of my DAT Bootcamp practice PAT’s. I think this was the key to my strong PAT score. By the time I got to my DAT, TFE and Pattern Folding were second nature. Not to mention, I created a strategy that was perfect for me:
  • How to time your PAT
    • With 5 minutes left on the science section I drew out my grids for hole punch and cube counting
    • Right when the PAT started, I skipped through the first 45 questions
    • Do hole punch, cube counting, and pattern folding
    • Hole punch was easy for me, and cube counting is a matter of focus. Pattern folding got to be second nature after Bootcamp
    • Click “Review” after completing question 46-90
    • Go to question 16 and complete TFE and angle rank
    • Click “Review” after completing question 45
    • Complete keyhole questions
      • Keyhole is the hardest section to master and a total time-suck. I think that it is put there to stress students out early on and tank their scores. I highly recommend my strategy for students struggling with time-management
  1. RC
    • This was my the hardest section to master. Do Bootcamp’s RC tests and develop a strategy. My was this
      1. Read through all question and highlight key words. Alot of the time, there are really easy questions at the end of the passage
      2. Begin reading from paragraph 1 and highlight/answer any questions that you remember as you go.
      3. If you come across any "easy" answers, jump to the question and answer it
      4. Continue reading and answering throughout.
      5. About paragraph 7 (half way), I started doing search and destroy
      6. For the hard-science articles, I feel that search and destroy was most effective. For soft sciences I found reading through the passage most effective. Takeaway, practice RC on Bootcamp and learn to recognize the type of article and questions you are being asked. I recommend using more than one strategies because the type of passage changes.
      7. Again, RC is all about strategy. You must develop a strategy that works for you and the only way to do that is through practice.
** If you read the questions before hand you can realize if the DAT is going to ask you more regurgitation questions or application questions. The more complicated the article, the more straightforward the questions **
  1. QR
    • This was my weakest section going into the DAT. While I was a math minor in my college days (think 2007-2011), I have always struggled with logic based problem solving (which is totally the DAT)
    • I did all Destroyer tests (18), I worked tests 1-12 2x and I reviewed each test thoroughly.
    • DAT Bootcamp’s QR is the best for QC questions and time management.
    • The key to my success is that I learned to recognize questions that I was good at (algebra) and questions that I wasn’t (any geometry or trig). When I saw a time consuming trig question, I moved on and made sure that the entire 40 questions were completed. Then I went back and worked on any of the questions that I thought I could actually get right with more time. The others… I guessed intelligently
      • Pick the low hanging fruit. A 20-second question is just as valuable as a 2-minute question
    • In general, I’ve notice that the DAT QR section is structured like this
      1. First ~5-10 questions (easy) with a hard one scattered in
      2. Next 10 questions (much higher percentage of "hard" questions) these questions are designed to frustrate you and suck your time. If you can’t figure out how to solve it, don’t waste your time. Be on the lookout for questions with lots of calculations. Instead of getting frustrated, congratulate yourself for not wasting your time on a question that is designed to hurt your score. Move on and get easy points.
      3. Next 10 questions (mixed bag), plenty of easy questions scattered in here.
      4. Final 10 questions (easiest) this is the reason that you have to manage your time well. Make sure you complete the entire QR section before spending 2 minutes on a complicated question that you’ll likely get wrong anyhow.
I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to PM me with any additional questions and I'd be glad to answer them for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
DAT Breakdown

General Tips:

1. Prioritize: an exceptional score on this test takes an exceptional effort. This is why dental schools place such an emphasis on the score. If you are looking for advice on “How to score well in 30 days or less,” you’ve come to the wrong breakdown. My wife and I added up the number of review questions that I did, and realized that excluding PAT practice, I did no less than 10,000 review questions. For me to score like I did, I said “no” to literally everything. No trips, no weekend plans, no Netflix binges, no Social Media. My schedule looked like this:
    • 3 AM: Sit down and begin studying what I planned the SUNDAY evening before. That’s right- I planned my ENTIRE week on Sunday.
    • 8 AM: Go to work (depending on whether I was flying, sometimes I would study in my hotel room or on the plane)
    • 6 PM: Arrive home from work, eat dinner, watch Chad’s video on topic that interested me (unplanned)
*This was not a long-term schedule for me, nor do most students have to have such a crazy schedule, but I am a morning person and I wanted to give my best hours to my future instead of trying to refocus after a long day at work.*

2. Plan: I planned out my entire week every Sunday night. A mistake that I’ve made in the past is believing, “If I follow this guide, then I will succeed at xyz.” There is some truth to that, but I think set me apart in this process was my ability to honestly re-evaluate my progress on a weekly basis and progress on a time-line that meant I was actually absorbing material effectively. I recommend buying a notebook and listing out everything you have going on that week (eg. Do you need to go to the grocery store – put it on the list, Do you need to clean your apartment – put it on the list). The moral of the story is, take ownership of this process, make a plan, stick to your plan, re-evaluate your plan (repeat).
*I did all of my bootcamp practice tests on a laminated sheet of grid paper with dry erase Expo markers. This was incredibly helpful because I felt like the actual DAT was no different than my practice. I can't emphasize how important this was for me.*

3. Identify your advocates and set expectations appropriately: This is something that I still actively work on. I still don’t tell people, “I’m going to dental school.” Why? I haven’t been accepted. ****, I haven’t even finished my pre-reqs. If you set expectations for people that you are working hard to do well on a test, but that neither you nor anyone else knows how well you will do, it will take an enormous pressure off of you. If you don’t score like you want, you’ll still maintain credibility with yourself and others. Also, develop relationships with people that will encourage and protect you throughout the DAT process (for me that was my wife, parents, and a few close friends), put your blinders on and work.​

• Every question that had from Destroyer I put my own notes into Feralis. Whenever I would miss a question, I would re-read a portion of Feralis which would include my note. Over time, this became second nature.
    • I recommend using Feralis as your repository for information. Any questions you miss or fact you come across, log it in Feralis notes.
  • DAT Destroyer
  • DAT Bootcamp
    • Completed every quiz 1x and read through each answer. Took notes in Feralis on anything that I picked up from the answers. Breath over depth.
  • Chad's Reviews (necessary) I've used Chad’s Reviews for all Gen Chem, O Chem, and Physics since fall 2015. When I started with Chad, I hadn't taken a science class in 10 years and felt completely overwhelmed at the thought of being thrust back into classes that I thought would be impossible . I think Chad is the best for one reason; he gives you the “why” answer behind all of science. Chad isn't going to show you how to plug in values into molarity and molality formulas, he's going to help you understand at a practical level what the concepts are, what they are not, and how to conceptualize them on test day. I often feel like Chad answers the questions that I have before I can even ask them myself. Finally, Chad is a wizard with word pictures and you really feel like you can conceptualize these chemistry concepts (eg. I bet anyone who has used his course can remember these questions, “does anyone know how much a mole of basketball’s weighs?” “Does anyone know what my wife’s favorite color is?”). The point is, understanding the material, mentally filing the material, and accessing the material, is the key
  • Mike’s Reviews (Good. I think Mike is a great teacher, I connected with Chad so I stuck with what made sense. Mike did review a few topics that Chad didn’t and I could watch it at 2x speed which was fantastic)
    • I reviewed Destroyer thoroughly every time, but the third time that I completed it anything that I got wrong, I put into a excel document and reviewed those answers at least once weekly (and the morning of my DAT)
    • These questions are great indicators of real DAT questions and the best thing is that Bootcamp puts you in a simulated environment. After mastering the Gen Chem clock, the real DAT was a breeze.
    • I reviewed each of these tests a second time about a month after taking them and made sure that I was solid on the content. About 3 weeks before my test, I realized that I was weak in Stoichiometry, Bootcamp allowed me to really hone in on those weaknesses and maximize my score.
5. PAT
  • To give a litmus test at how much of a “natural” I am at the PAT. I took a Kaplan (easy) PAT right when I started studying and made a 13.
  • I sacrificed my lunch break at work every day to spend 15 minutes on each of the PAT simulators from DAT Bootcamp. If this was the only resource you received for from Bootcamp, it would be worth the full subscription price!
  • About a month before the test, I re completed all of my DAT Bootcamp practice PAT’s. I think this was the key to my strong PAT score. By the time I got to my DAT, TFE and Pattern Folding were second nature. Not to mention, I created a strategy that was perfect for me:
  • How to time your PAT
    • With 5 minutes left on the science section I drew out my grids for hole punch and cube counting
    • Hole punch was easy for me, and cube counting is a matter of focus. Pattern folding got to be second nature after Bootcamp
      • Keyhole is the hardest section to master and a total time-suck. I think that it is put there to stress students out early on and tank their scores. I highly recommend my strategy for students struggling with time-management
  1. RC
    • This was my the hardest section to master. Do Bootcamp’s RC tests and develop a strategy. My was this
      1. Read through all question and notice key words. Alot of the time, there are really easy questions at the end of the passage
      2. Begin reading from paragraph 1 and highlight/answer any questions that you remember as you go.
      3. After about paragraph 5, I started doing search and destroy
      4. For the hard science articles, I feel that search and destroy was most effective. For soft sciences I found reading through the passage most effective
      5. Again, RC is all about strategy. You must develop a strategy that works for you and the only way to do that is through practice.
** If you read the questions before hand you can realize if the DAT is going to ask you more regurgitation questions or application questions. The more complicated the article, the more straightforward the questions **
  1. QR
    • This was my weakest section going into the DAT. While I was a math minor in my college days (think 2007-2011), I have always struggled with logic based problem solving (which is totally the DAT)
    • I did all Destroyer tests (18), I worked tests 1-12 2x and I reviewed each test thoroughly.
    • The key to my success is that I learned to recognize questions that I was good at (algebra) and questions that I wasn’t (any geometry or trig). When I saw a time consuming trig question, I moved on and made sure that the entire 40 questions were completed. Then I went back and worked on any of the questions that I thought I could actually get right with more time. The others… I guessed intelligently
      1. Pick the low hanging fruit. A 20 second question is just as valuable as a 2 minute question
      1. First ~10 questions (easy) with a hard one scattered in
      2. Next 10 questions (hard) these questions are designed to frustrate you and suck your time. If you can’t figure out how to solve it, don’t waste your time. Be on the lookout for questions with lots of calculations. Instead of getting frustrated, congratulate yourself for not wasting your time on a question that is designed to hurt your score. Move on and get easy points
      3. Next 10 questions (mixed bag)
      4. Final 10 questions (easiest) this is the reason that you have to manage your time well. Make sure you complete the entire QR section before spending 2 minutes on a complicated question that you’ll likely get wrong anyhow.
I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to PM me with any additional questions and I'd be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks for coming back and doing this thorough breakdown! You were incredibly diligent and it paid off. Great organization on this.

Of course! Your notes on Bootcamp were a fantastic resource for me! Thank you for making it available.

It wasn't fun... at all. But it was what I needed to do to keep my head straight and accomplish my daily study goals. I realized early on in my studying that I'm not a "natural" or a science genius, so I decided to focus on the one thing I could control - hustle.

It wasn't fun... at all. But it was what I needed to do to keep my head straight and accomplish my daily study goals. I realized early on in my studying that I'm not a "natural" or a science genius, so I decided to focus on the one thing I could control - hustle.
Incredible stuff dude! How many weeks/months did you study?

I had to re-learn Bio so I studied section of Bio content every Saturday from January until May. Mid-May I started Ari's Study Guide, and I took the test in August. Granted, I studied for 3-4 hours/day and 6-8 hours each weekend day. Other than family events, I never took a rest day.

Thanks. Honestly, I would've never scored like this when I was 22. Alas, I am 29 now and understand my options if I don't get into dental school. Sometimes it takes seeing all the things you don't want to do with your life to realize what you do what to do with your life.

The non-traditional path is tough, but I've realized it's totally do-able if this is your passion.

Thanks. Honestly, I would've never scored like this when I was 22. Alas, I am 29 now and understand my options if I don't get into dental school. Sometimes it takes seeing all the things you don't want to do with your life to realize what you do what to do with your life.

The non-traditional path is tough, but I've realized it's totally do-able if this is your passion.

You certainly proved that. I still have some issues with my discipline but I'm glad that I'm in dschool and learning :D

That's great to hear. PM me if you can. I'd love to learn about where you are in school, what you think, and any advice you'd give to someone applying!

DAT Breakdown below.

Congrats on the scores!! Do you know how comparable the boot camp questions are to the actual DAT questions? Just because I feel like I know the BIO OCHEM. and GENCHEM sections on there like the back of my hand and scoring in the 23 range for all three sections. I only been studying boot camp and AP Bio-Chem-OCHEM flash cards. But I'm nervous that's not enough and the actual DAT will be a total shock. I also can't seem to find the DAT destroyer in any store and don't have time to have it shipped...

Okay... So the DAT has a bunch of random information. This is especially true in the Biology section. You are doing yourself an incredible disservice by not using Destroyer for at least this section. Bootcamp GC/OC is great. Bootcamp Bio is not sufficient. Buy Destroyer Bio and do the entire thing until you have all 6xx questions and their background information memorized.

Go to Orgoman's website and purchase Destroyer. Trust me, you'd rather reschedule your DAT and at least go through Destroyer Biology entirely one time.

Test 1| 26 Bio| 23 GC | 27 OC | 22 PAT | 24 QR | 19 RC
Test 2| 22 Bio | 24 GC | 20 OC | 21 PAT | 19 QR | 18 RC
Test 3| 30 Bio | 30 GC | 24 OC | 21 PAT | 19 QR | 22 RC
Test 4| 23 Bio | 23 GC | 29 OC | 23 PAT | 19 QR | 25 RC
Test 5| 24 Bio | 22 GC | 23 OC | 20 PAT | 19 QR | 20 RC

Okay... So the DAT has a bunch of random information. This is especially true in the Biology section. You are doing yourself an incredible disservice by not using Destroyer for at least this section. Bootcamp GC/OC is great. Bootcamp Bio is not sufficient. Buy Destroyer Bio and do the entire thing until you have all 6xx questions and their background information memorized.

Go to Orgoman's website and purchase Destroyer. Trust me, you'd rather reschedule your DAT and at least go through Destroyer Biology entirely one time.

Test 1| 26 Bio| 23 GC | 27 OC | 22 PAT | 24 QR | 19 RC
Test 2| 22 Bio | 24 GC | 20 OC | 21 PAT | 19 QR | 18 RC
Test 3| 30 Bio | 30 GC | 24 OC | 21 PAT | 19 QR | 22 RC
Test 4| 23 Bio | 23 GC | 29 OC | 23 PAT | 19 QR | 25 RC
Test 5| 24 Bio | 22 GC | 23 OC | 20 PAT | 19 QR | 20 RC
Thank you! I work very hard on our materials! Contrary to what is often posted, I do not feel my work is overkill, it is for students who want to Destroy the DAT in round 1.

Dr. Romano

Last edited:
I agree. I think it is better to think about the DAT as a game of trivia than as a biology test. The questions are high-level, but extremely broad. I started by asking myself, "How would I study for a gameshow that asks me questions about Biology?" Horribly boring game show, but great Bio study strategy.

DAT Breakdown

General Tips:

• DAT Destroyer
  • DAT Bootcamp
5. PAT
  • How to time your PAT
  1. RC
      1. Read through all question and highlight key words. Alot of the time, there are really easy questions at the end of the passage
      3. If you come across any "easy" answers, jump to the question and answer it
      4. Continue reading and answering throughout.
      5. About paragraph 7 (half way), I started doing search and destroy
      6. For the hard-science articles, I feel that search and destroy was most effective. For soft sciences I found reading through the passage most effective. Takeaway, practice RC on Bootcamp and learn to recognize the type of article and questions you are being asked. I recommend using more than one strategies because the type of passage changes.
      7. Again, RC is all about strategy. You must develop a strategy that works for you and the only way to do that is through practice.
  1. QR
      • Pick the low hanging fruit. A 20-second question is just as valuable as a 2-minute question
      1. First ~5-10 questions (easy) with a hard one scattered in
      2. Next 10 questions (much higher percentage of "hard" questions) these questions are designed to frustrate you and suck your time. If you can’t figure out how to solve it, don’t waste your time. Be on the lookout for questions with lots of calculations. Instead of getting frustrated, congratulate yourself for not wasting your time on a question that is designed to hurt your score. Move on and get easy points.
      3. Next 10 questions (mixed bag), plenty of easy questions scattered in here.
Hello,

Going through everything 3 times did you noticed a lot of simialr questions on the actual DAT compared to DAT destroyer and BC questions?

Destroyer has questions that you will see variations from on the DAT (especially for Biology). BC has questions that you will see variations from on the DAT (especially for Chem & OChem). Overall, do both. Trust me, if I could get a great DAT bio score, anyone can.

Destroyer has questions that you will see variations from on the DAT (especially for Biology). BC has questions that you will see variations from on the DAT (especially for Chem & OChem). Overall, do both. Trust me, if I could get a great DAT bio score, anyone can.

Nothing wrong with doing as much Bio as possible. Anything could land in this section. The Organic Chemistry and the General Chemistry in the DESTROYER will cover every topic and reaction you are likely to see. Look at the scores of one of my students. A lot of my students are not on SDN, but these scores are worth sharing. You don't need a 30 to get into dental school, but it opens a lot of doors. This student is hoping for Harvard.

Dr. Romano

Attachments

• 30.png
    30.png
    318 KB · Views: 145
My experience with Destroyer was this:

At first glance, Destroyer looks very similar to other resources. It covers alot of territory and some of it seems random. The difference between Destroyer and other resources is that the "random" information and questions you study are actually topics that are highly concentrated on the DAT. Use the Destroyer to guide your study of outside resources (do questions and then use Youtube videos, etc. for something that you need help with). If a topic is not, in some way, covered in the Destroyer bio section. I imagine that it is very unlikely it will be on the DAT.

At first glance, Destroyer looks very similar to other resources. It covers alot of territory and some of it seems random. The difference between Destroyer and other resources is that the "random" information and questions you study are actually topics that are highly concentrated on the DAT. Use the Destroyer to guide your study of outside resources (do questions and then use Youtube videos, etc. for something that you need help with). If a topic is not, in some way, covered in the Destroyer bio section. I imagine that it is very unlikely it will be on the DAT.
Absolutely correct, the DAT is very random and not all versions are alike! I will have my own study guide that will be easy to follow and point you in the direction of high DAT scores..I will also have more videos available for free in the near future and if I get time I will live stream answers an questions sessions.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 3 users

Ok thank you. I am finishing up destroyer today and going to run through it again I'm not sure if I will have time for a third-time (test on September 28.) But I have written notes, taken my own notes, written down answers I have got wrong and right. Been studying since May and I am getting super nervous but I know so much more than last year and I appreciate your help and encouragement!