DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8_man

Achievement Unlocked: DDS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Glimmer1991's Ultimate Breakdown Collection.

Introduction
Hey guys, 8_man here with a present for all you upcoming DAT takers. As a recent test-taker myself, nothing prepared me more than going through the breakdowns of those who absolutely killed it. Many others will agree with me, and so I took the liberty of compiling a list of recent (2013-present) DAT breakdowns. For those of you who don't know what a DAT breakdown is, it is basically a summary of one's entire testing experience. I glanced through each one for content, particularly for:
  1. a study schedule
  2. materials used
  3. practice test scores
  4. thoughts & advice
Hopefully this list will be useful to find guidance, motivation, or whatever one is seeking to obtain a competitive score. There are plenty of schedules to follow, so keep reading until you find one that fits your style. And if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or post a thread in the DAT sub-forum. We're all here to help each other.

Recources
There is a general consensus here on SDN about what study materials to use, so I'll just list them below for your convenience. All of these materials are tried, true, and tested to work, so long as you do your part and put in the effort. Having said that, it is NOT necessary to use all these resources to succeed on the DAT. If you want to better your chances, though, it is well worth the investment. And it's never a bad thing to be over-prepared.

Practice Exams:
1. DAT Bootcamp [online subscription].........................................($247 for 90 days)
Note: Includes PAT practice problems + generators
2. 2007 DAT Exam [PDF]............................................................(free)
3. 2009 DAT Exam [PDF]............................................................(free)
Note: Errors on exam. Double-check your answers here
Study Materials:
1. Course Saver, a.k.a. Chad's Videos [online subscription] ..........($50 for 30 days)
Subjects covered: General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Quantitative Reasoning
3. DAT Destroyer [book].............................................................($149.95)
Subjects covered: Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Quantitative Reasoning
4. Math Destroyer [book]............................................................($99.95)
Note: you can buy both Destroyer books for $199.95
5. Feralis' Notes [PDF]................................................................(free)
Subjects covered: Biology
6. Cliff's Biology Notes [PDF].................................................(free)
Subjects covered: Biology
Helpful SDN Posts:

Ari's 10 week Study Schedule

This is the go-to study guide here on the dental forums. For the DAT, ten weeks is ample time to prepare and earn a competitive score. However, the schedule itself is certainly not set in stone–many have modified it to suit their own preferences, so feel free to do the same! For example, if you want to shorten your study period down to 6 weeks, you would try to find days where you would condense the material into a single session. Or if you're already strong in a certain subject, you can eliminate its content review from your schedule.

For a PDF of Ari's study guide, click here.

Breakdowns
In case you are unfamiliar with how the DAT is scaled, here is a nice figure provided by Gold Standard DAT Prep.

DAT_Score_%20graph.jpg

The average score for newly accepted dental students is about a 20. This score would put you in the upper 16% of all test-takers. This is by no means an easy feat to accomplish, so be sure to plan carefully and study hard. The following breakdowns are from people who scored in the top 3% of all test-takers.

I sorted the DAT breakdowns in ascending order by their Academic Average (AA). The subsections of the DAT are listed and abbreviated for quick reference. For those who are new to the DAT and are unsure of what each stand for;

TS = Total science (the cumulative score of the Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry sections)
BIO = Biology
GC = Chemistry
OC = Organic Chemistry
RC = Reading comprehension
QR = Quantitative reasoning (math, up to Trigonometry)
PAT = Perceptual Ability Test​

There are numerous debates on which score holds the most weight with admissions committees. In my opinion, the ranking is: #1: AA, #2: TS, #3: RC, #4: PAT, #5: QR. However, this does not mean you can neglect the QR section of the DAT, since it does contribute to your AA.

And without further ado, here is the breakdown list–

22AA

23AA

24AA

25AA

26AA
27AA
28AA
29AA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 40 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@WildWing, @Winged Scapula , and @schmoob this thread is screaming DATBootcamp advertising. There's many other reputable DAT companies such as DATQvault, CracktheDAT, DATAchiever and yet only DATBootcamp is mentioned. Even some of the reviews have used the other resources but they aren't mentioned by the OP. Not sure why this form of stealth advertising is openly occuring by Bootcamp associates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@WildWing, @Winged Scapula , and @schmoob this thread is screaming DATBootcamp advertising. There's many other reputable DAT companies such as DATQvault, CracktheDAT, DATAchiever and yet only DATBootcamp is mentioned.

Well maybe if everyone stopped rating bootcamp 11/10 in their breakdowns!!!

I see what you mean though. I'll remove the "resources" category if the mods decide against it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well maybe if everyone stopped rating bootcamp 11/10 in their breakdowns!!!

I see what you mean though. I'll remove the "resources" category if the mods decide against it
I would probably add every available resource rather than just having Bootcamp there.

@WildWing, @Winged Scapula , and @schmoob this thread is screaming DATBootcamp advertising. There's many other reputable DAT companies such as DATQvault, CracktheDAT, DATAchiever and yet only DATBootcamp is mentioned. Even some of the reviews have used the other resources but they aren't mentioned by the OP. Not sure why this form of stealth advertising is openly occuring by Bootcamp associates.
And this is why we can't have nice things.

Test prep companies, please keep stealth marketing and counter-marketing off SDN. I founded SDN as a free and nonprofit resource to help students; these marketing behaviors are absolutely antithetical to our purpose and harm our community.

Moving forward, all posts that clearly bias towards any DAT test prep material will be moved to their corresponding forum. That means if members have a question regarding a specific product, they need to ask it in the appropriate test prep forum (DAT). Initial violations will receive a warning, multiple violations will result in a ban.

If you're representing a test prep company, you are welcome to post here: DAT. This free privilege is extended to all test prep companies that agree to abide by our policies. Posting outside of your organization's forum will result in a ban and all mention of your product will be banned on the site permanently.

Reactions: 10 users
And this is why we can't have nice things.

Test prep companies, please keep stealth marketing and counter-marketing off SDN. I founded SDN as a free and nonprofit resource to help students; these marketing behaviors are absolutely antithetical to our purpose and harm our community.

Moving forward, all posts that clearly bias towards any DAT test prep material will be moved to their corresponding forum. That means if members have a question regarding a specific product, they need to ask it in the appropriate test prep forum (DAT). Initial violations will receive a warning, multiple violations will result in a ban.

If you're representing a test prep company, you are welcome to post here: DAT. This free privilege is extended to all test prep companies that agree to abide by our policies. Posting outside of your organization's forum will result in a ban and all mention of your product will be banned on the site permanently.

Thank-you.

@8_man You should probably change the contents of this thread because it's violating the rules.

Thank-you.

@8_man You should probably change the contents of this thread because it's violating the rules.

Listing 8 different DAT prep sources doesn't come off to me as "clear bias." I think it's just you whose a little over-fixated on Bootcamp (for whatever reason, perhaps counter-marketing?;)). We're 16,000+ views in, and you're the only complaint.

Again, if a MODERATOR informs me that my post is breaching of the ToS, I'll gladly remove it. However, this listing is no different from anyone else naming off DAT resources in their individual breakdowns. And no one is paying me to do this–I'm simply volunteering my time to the SDN community that helped me get into dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Listing 8 different DAT prep sources doesn't come off to me as "clear bias." I think it's just you whose a little over-fixated on Bootcamp (for whatever reason, perhaps counter-marketing?;)). We're 16,000+ views in, and you're the only complaint.

Again, if a MODERATOR informs me that my post is breaching of the ToS, I'll gladly remove it. However, this listing is no different from anyone else naming off DAT resources in their individual breakdowns. And no one is paying me to do this–I'm simply volunteering my time to the SDN community that helped me get into dental school.

There are only 3 prep resources you mentioned that have some sort of financial gain from your thread. Most of your thread talks about resources affiliated with DATBootcamp whether it's Ari's schedule, their practice tests, or Feralis Notes. On top of that, none of Bootcamp's competitors which offer DAT practice tests are mentioned despite there being many good ones out there (DATAchiever, DATQvault, CracktheDAT and more).

From @Lee's post, it's quite obvious DATBootcamp have been using stealth advertising. Not sure why DATBootcamp have not been banned from these forums yet. It would solve all the problems.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are only 3 prep resources you mentioned that have some sort of financial gain from your thread. Most of your thread talks about resources affiliated with DATBootcamp whether it's Ari's schedule, their practice tests, or Feralis Notes. On top of that, none of Bootcamp's competitors which offer DAT practice tests are mentioned despite there being many good ones out there (DATAchiever, DATQvault, CracktheDAT and more).

From @Lee's post, it's quite obvious DATBootcamp have been using stealth advertising. Not sure why DATBootcamp have not been banned from these forums yet. It would solve all the problems.

Its not obvious and in fact, you're wrong.

Several testing companies have been involved in what appears to be stealth marketing. We have not singled out one or the other.

Moderating the back and forth accusations, some baseless, some probably baseless, some seemingly accurate, is like trying to manage a group of 3 year olds. There's a lot of crying, pointing of fingers and failure to accept personal responsibility. It is taking 90% of our moderating energy at this point.

These forums are offered as a service to our users. The arguing and accusations go against the tenets upon which SDN was founded which is a community of like minded individuals coming together to help each other, without regard to financial benefit. After lengthy discussions, we have come up with a solution which we feel is the best interest of everyone involved, although recognizing that that it will create some frustration for others. So please be patient as this situation evolves and our solutions to it are solidified and codified into a new policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hi, I am starting to study for DAT for coming cycle.
I would like to ask, what chad's video and course savers differ in terms of Chemistry section. I saw that coursesaver has QR and Bio videos + quizzes. Chad's video doesn't have any quizzes that course saver has in terms of chemistry? I don't need bio section of course saver. I just need overall coverage of gen chem + o chem plus some quizzes to check I got it or not.

I did buy DAT destroyer but hasn't arrived yet. but I feel like you have to go over briefly first before I even start looking at destroyer.

I am thinking to go over notes first (since I have graduated 4 yrs ago) for all sections.
I am using Orgoman's new Bio notes instead of AP or feralis notes. I am ok with Bio.
I just need good summary of gen chem and o chem. and then will start destroyer for at least twice.

Do you think it is worth $50 coursesaver over free-chad's video if you I only need chemistry? (if there is any difference at all) (I don't know what benefit I get from course saver because I have not bought it LOL)

Thanks!!

Hi, I am starting to study for DAT for coming cycle.
I would like to ask, what chad's video and course savers differ in terms of Chemistry section. I saw that coursesaver has QR and Bio videos + quizzes. Chad's video doesn't have any quizzes that course saver has in terms of chemistry? I don't need bio section of course saver. I just need overall coverage of gen chem + o chem plus some quizzes to check I got it or not.

I did buy DAT destroyer but hasn't arrived yet. but I feel like you have to go over briefly first before I even start looking at destroyer.

I am thinking to go over notes first (since I have graduated 4 yrs ago) for all sections.
I am using Orgoman's new Bio notes instead of AP or feralis notes. I am ok with Bio.
I just need good summary of gen chem and o chem. and then will start destroyer for at least twice.

Do you think it is worth $50 coursesaver over free-chad's video if you I only need chemistry? (if there is any difference at all) (I don't know what benefit I get from course saver because I have not bought it LOL)

Thanks!!

Hey! Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the recent changes to coursesaver and chad's videos since i was a 2016 test taker. If coursesaver no longer has chad's videos on their site, I would recommend for you to just go with chad's (since that's what I used, and I found it incredibly helpful for learning). And if there are no quizzes on his site, then I would just use other materials to test your knowledge after going through his lectures.