DAT before Orgo class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow Snow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could save a year by rushing the DAT this summer but I won't start on Orgo until next Fall (it will be my only unfinished prereq then). I have heard it said that the Orgo on the DAT isn't too hard and I was wondering if you think it can be learned from a prep-manual well enough for a good performance on the DAT?

I am a little older than the average applicant so I am trying to get started ASAP.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yellow Snow said:
I could save a year by rushing the DAT this summer but I won't start on Orgo until next Fall (it will be my only unfinished prereq then). I have heard it said that the Orgo on the DAT isn't too hard and I was wondering if you think it can be learned from a prep-manual well enough for a good performance on the DAT?

I am a little older than the average applicant so I am trying to get started ASAP.

Thanks.

How much orgo exposure have you had in the past? You'll need orgo I and II for most dental schools. If you have at least taken orgo I, I think you should be able to study enough on your own to get through the DAT fine. But I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking the DAT if I had to teach myself everything from scratch. Maybe you can audit an orgo class either in the spring or summer to at least get some exposure in prep for the DAT. You can always apply to schools before taking the DAT.

Unless you have lots of study time for the DAT, and are putting long hours in your organic chemistry preparation, I highly reccomend not to rush your DAT. Organic chemistry is alot of material...not hard...just ALOT of material. However, there are fundamental concepts in the class that apply to most reactions yet some are just oddballs. I'd reccomend taking organic 1 before your DAT, just my advice, so take it for what its worth, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush, and DAT...should neva...neva be in the same sentence. You could probably learn on your own. I had to pretty much teach myself at University because my professor wasn't quite my style. But it would help of course, if you could attend lecture, unless you've got the motivation to test yourself and review the information like you would were you in class. It's do-able, but far from easy. Honestly, I'd wait. The only prereq. that's really unnecessary is physics. The rest...I'd be sure and get to somebody's class.

Like dexadental said, its not hard just a lot of material. Just finishing Org I now. I think we covered a lot of material. You could always teach yourself but, you are going to be subjective. I mean you will test yourself and maybe think your fine when your really not. Take a summer course or if another school in your area offers it as a night course and it will transfer do that instead.

Yellow Snow said:
Thanks.
It is possible for sure. I wrote DAT without taking any Organic Chemistry class, and got 19.
It took me 2-3 weeks (6 to 8 hours per day) to study. My goal was to finish 1 chapter of Kaplan in 1 day. Then I revised everything again. On topscore and Kaplan test I was getting around 17-18. I think real DAT is little bit easier.
Books I used:
1) Kaplan
2) Organic Chemistry by Solomons & Fryhle 8th edition (ISBN: 0-471-41799-8)

Study from Kaplan first and if you don't understand something then use Solomons.

Good Luck :thumbup:

I hadn't taken Organic II before taking the DAT and I took Organic I about four years prior and it showed. Organic was my lowest score by far. I have just finished taking Org. II this semester and looking back on it you can't learn it from the Kaplan or prep books. If you are going to try to learn it on your own you need to use the Kaplan as a guide on what topics to study and then use a real organic book to study from. The Kaplan just doesn't go into enough detail for someone who hasn't taken it. Hope this helps

Yellow Snow, I was in a similar situation as you being an older student.
I worked as a financial analyst after college so when I switched to dentistry I had to take the DAT fast in order to be considered this year. I took it this summer when I was just beginning my first orgo class. I ended up getting a 22 on the DAT including 20 on the ochem section, so it can be done. I also mentioned that on my essay, because I was switching careers there were obstacles that I had to go through that many students do not face. I could have waited another year but as you know for us older students, every year is that much more valuable.

I didn't find the actual DAT ochem to be that in depth. I would still recommend maybe sitting in some first semester lectures which is what I did at my old university.

you might consider taking a kaplan class, if there is one in your area. though the instructor is assuming you've taken orgo, he/she can probably help you understand it better than a book. a tutor would also probably work. not that you wouldn't be able to do it on your own, just that having someone who knows it explain the material can go a lot faster than trying to learn something cold.

You do not need to take the class to do well on the DAT; the same for all the other subject. Every class requires a book, and every lecture is drawn from the book. You could get an organic course outline from a student at your school and follow it subject by subject. My book had tons of questions and there is a preparation packet called 1000 O-chem questions by test-crackers that can also be used along with Kaplens non-detailed book for preparation purposes. However, the above is not going to take you a few weeks to complete, so it would be hard.

Anyways, how old are you. I am 26 now and I am pretty much average age in my class. I say take the class, and do well. The last thing you want is a screwed DAT.

I took the DAT November 3 after having just over a month and a half of organic chemistry. Last spring when I decided to change careers and apply to dental school I started studying organic chem by using the open courseware at MIT ( http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html )

It was pretty helpful. I made it through the first half of that course, reading the material and lecture notes. I took biology this summer and then studied kaplan and scholarware for a month before starting school again. On kaplan I was getting 12-13 on ochem. I got 16 on DAT. When asked about DAT score I was confident to say that I did pretty good given that I had not had much of the class. Also, the first quarter of ochem I have not had to crack a book since I studied all the material for the DAT.

Anyway, my $0.02

cheers

wessto said:
I took the DAT November 3 after having just over a month and a half of organic chemistry. Last spring when I decided to change careers and apply to dental school I started studying organic chem by using the open courseware at MIT ( http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html )

It was pretty helpful. I made it through the first half of that course, reading the material and lecture notes. I took biology this summer and then studied kaplan and scholarware for a month before starting school again. On kaplan I was getting 12-13 on ochem. I got 16 on DAT. When asked about DAT score I was confident to say that I did pretty good given that I had not had much of the class. Also, the first quarter of ochem I have not had to crack a book since I studied all the material for the DAT.

Anyway, my $0.02

cheers
Great website !!! Thanks wessto