This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perioxperiox999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am taking my exam september 18th! I have been scoring really well on bootcamp and destroyer for the sciences especially. My scores range
OC: 20-23
GC-21-24
BIO:19-22
PAT: 18 ( i struggle with PAT but i am willing to take the 18 if i ace everything else)
RC: 19-21
QR-19-22

My GPA is a 3.38, but I do have some good grades in upper level sciences ( I got an A in biochem, As in both my physics+ lab, A in orgo II)
I have about 400-500 hours in shadowing and working as an assistant. I also have a lot of volunterring experience along with being a science and math tutor for disadvantaged students. Do you think I will be okay for this cycle or do you recommend I wait. I am also a NJ resident so i am mostly looking to get into Rutgers, NYU, Boston or really anything but those are my top choices. I also have great letters of rec. I have also only been in the US for 6 years and I go to a top university, but I am definitely not relying on this.
THank you

Members don't see this ad.

You will take your DAT sept 18th then your official scores will come in Early-mid October. That is too late and some schools even have deadlines before October 1st (Not that you wanna apply a week before a deadline anyway, you want to apply well in advance). Just apply next year. Schools receiving an app in October is just way too late and your GPA isn't that great so just wait until next year. Maybe even the extend the DAT if you want extra time and destroy it. Good luck

Also if you want to have 0 regrets lol, just apply to Rutgers , roll the dice to see what happens, but you should really apply next year since you're this late in the game.

^Good advice. You could also get in this cycle. Up to you, OP

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the money, then try rolling the dice and applying this cycle. Applying next cycle would mean you finish dental school one year later and would lose out out on one year of income/gaining working experience in the dental field/potentially doing a GPR/etc.

You will take your DAT sept 18th then your official scores will come in Early-mid October. That is too late and some schools even have deadlines before October 1st (Not that you wanna apply a week before a deadline anyway, you want to apply well in advance). Just apply next year. Schools receiving an app in October is just way too late and your GPA isn't that great so just wait until next year. Maybe even the extend the DAT if you want extra time and destroy it. Good luck

Also if you want to have 0 regrets lol, just apply to Rutgers , roll the dice to see what happens, but you should really apply next year since you're this late in the game.
I also forgot to mention that I did finish all my applications and my transcripts are received and also LORs so i would send it in right away.

I also forgot to mention that I did finish all my applications and my transcripts are received and also LORs so i would send it in right away.
Roll the dice man idk. Personally what I would do is only apply to like 1-3 schools just to see what happens but realize I'm actually going to apply next year (so if I don't get in it wouldn't bother me), but if I get lucky this year then hey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I also live in NJ and find myself under similar circumstances. I took the DAT on August 23rd and I am currently working on my personal statement. Acing the DAT should make up for the below average GPA. My advice is to just stay confident and believe in yourself! I'm applying to around 10 schools. I encourage you to apply and see what happens. Good luck!

Hey! I also live in NJ and find myself under similar circumstances. I took the DAT on August 23rd and I am currently working on my personal statement. Acing the DAT should make up for the below average GPA. My advice is to just stay confident and believe in yourself! I'm applying to around 10 schools. I encourage you to apply and see what happens. Good luck!
It's late in the cycle man. If your GPA is below the average just save your money and apply next year. Clearly you haven't submitted your app yet and when you do it's going to take 2-3 weeks for your DAT scores to process by then it'll probably be early October. Even if you had a high GPA and good DAT your chances would still be low this late in the game.

it all depends on the dat. if its great you still have a shot, but if its below a 21 I think it will be hard so late in the game. I remember someone who applied end of September last year and had a 24 and 4.0 and got interviews to Harvard and Columbia fwiw.