This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alikhan9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get a 19AA on the DAT, and how long should you study for in preparation for this score hypothetically speaking?

Members don't see this ad.

About 60% of test takers get a 19 AA. So not hard at all. 50% get 18.6 or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how long should you study for in preparation for this score hypothetically speaking

Some people take three months, and others take three weeks. It's entirely dependent on your familiarity with the subjects tested (how long it's been since you've taken the courses, how well you did, etc.), the way you retain and comprehend material, and the amount of time you can set aside for studying. There are plenty of threads on here proposing study schedules and materials. I've posted one of my favorites below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-breakdown-again.949908/

My mistake, 60% of people get at least a 19.

thought you were top 70% if you got a 19 - 20 AA...

Why are you setting a goal of 19? Aim for the stars!

Reactions: 3 users
Why are you setting a goal of 19? Aim for the stars!
I agree 100 percent but I just was curious what it took to get an 19AA
Forgot where but the average score for all test takers is something in between 18-19. So I was throwing an arbitrary number out there.
Do you still stand by that percentage of about 60 percent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also the average test taker gets a 17.5

I'm pretty sure that the average test taker scores around a 17, but the average matriculant scores a 19-20 which is around 80th-85th percentile I believe. This may be where the difference in replied scores so far is coming from.

I don't think it would make sense for a 19 or 20 to be around the 50-60th percentile seeing as how that's the average for most dental schools incoming classes, that would be a bit disappointing wouldn't it?

I believe I read something recently that claimed DAT scores are not rising and are very similar to 2009 scores as the test adapts.

How hard is it to get a 19AA on the DAT, and how long should you study for in preparation for this score hypothetically speaking?

It's not that hard if you're a decent test taker, it would take less than a month.

It's a lot of studying. I did about a solid month 5-6 hours a day and still wished I had more time to do more practice problem. I literally started doing DAT destroyer orgo practice problems a day before my test. Granted I didn't do traditional route and had to review a lot. And anyone know percentile is 21?

The average for matriculants is now 20 for all dental schools combined Not 19. That is a few years back.

The average matriculants used to be 18 now it's going up to 20. You guys are telling me the average matriculants score is going up but the average DAT score isn't?

19 is definitely not 80%, closer to 60.

The average for matriculants is now 20 for all dental schools combined Not 19. That is a few years back.

The average matriculants used to be 18 now it's going up to 20. You guys are telling me the average matriculants score is going up but the average DAT score isn't?

19 is definitely not 80%, closer to 60.
Yes. Because the sheer amount of people taking the DAT is increasing, but the fact that it's graded on a bell curve means the average DAT score of people taking the test (not necessarily matriculating) is not. That's the point of a bell curve. And I highly doubt 60% of people get a 19. More like, if you have a 19+, your score is equal to or greater than 60% of the people taking the test.

Look at the link I posted above. There is NO way a 19 AA is the 60th percentile. A 19 AA is actually somewhat competitive. The average score of people who simply take the exam is probably 17.5ish now.

Reactions: 2 users
I studied 2-3 hours/day progressively in January, stopped completely so I could save my grades during the semester (biochem ;)), and started back up after finals. I studied 10-11 hours for 14 days straight and managed a 21 AA. So it just depends on how you study best, and how well you prepare yourself with practice tests. 19 is very doable with some effort, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I guess we will have to wait till ADEA releases newer info. I have a feeling the 2016 cycle will have some crazy numbers. The 2014 info is outdated. In 2015 Rutgers boasts a 22 DAT(on their website). I would not be suprised to see the mean go from 19.9 to 20.2.

All I'm saying with proper materials (dat destroyer bootcamp etc) A 19 is a piece of cake. If I go take the DAT again (been a month since I've studied) I know I can get a 20+ still.

I guess we will have to wait till ADEA releases newer info. I have a feeling the 2016 cycle will have some crazy numbers. The 2014 info is outdated. In 2015 Rutgers boasts a 22 DAT(on their website). I would not be suprised to see the mean go from 19.9 to 20.2.

All I'm saying with proper materials (dat destroyer bootcamp etc) A 19 is a piece of cake. If I go take the DAT again (been a month since I've studied) I know I can get a 20+ still.
Wow !I wish I was on your level ! Taking my dat in august and i hope i can do well i just feel that my bio studying is going a bit slow following ari study schedule

Last edited:

While disagree about the average score I definitely agree with you here. I studied for a "month", between my fourth midterm set and finals and still got a 21AA. I honestly was disappointed with that score because I finished the test and was surprised by how easy it actually was. Anyone who actually studies should be able to clear 19 easily, I'm honestly upset with a 21.

That being said, a 17 is still the average for all test takers and a 19-20 for all matriculants. I believe a 20 is 85th percentile and a 21 is 93 or something

All I'm saying with proper materials (dat destroyer bootcamp etc) A 19 is a piece of cake.
I'd say 75% of DAT examinees have no idea what Destroyer or Boot-camp is though. They take the usual Kaplan class.

I'd say 75% of DAT examinees have no idea what Destroyer or Boot-camp is though. They take the usual Kaplan class.
People as a whole are doing better I assume no? From say previous years

Also how hard is it in your opinion to get a 19AA

People as a whole are doing better I assume no? From say previous years
No. It's a bell curve. People as a whole will do about the same time after time, which is the point of the bell curve. If you use good study materials, allow yourself enough time, and apply yourself, you will be fine. Go to the DAT discussion forum and look through it.

Hey I have been trying hard to make a thread on this and another related topic but because I am new here. I don't know how to "post" or "Create" a thread. As stuipd as it may sound, can someone please tell me to make a thread or post one? Thank you so much.

Hey I have been trying hard to make a thread on this and another related topic but because I am new here. I don't know how to "post" or "Create" a thread. As stuipd as it may sound, can someone please tell me to make a thread or post one? Thank you so much.

On the pre-dental forum homepage (or in general, any forum), there should be blue buttons at the top of the page and below that say "Post New Thread".