DAT 2022 Breakdown (Huge improvement)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunter_mclain1

Reaction score
2022 DAT Breakdown (HUGE IMPOVEMENT)

I hope this breakdown will give some hope to anyone who has made low scores.

I took my first exam on June 7, 2021, and my second on June 28, 2022. My two tests were roughly a year apart. These are my first test scores and then my second.

Perceptual Ability 20 > 22

Quantitative Reasoning 17 > 20

Reading Comprehension 17 > 19

Biology 16 > 23

General Chemistry 14 > 25

Organic Chemistry 13 > 20

Total Science 15 > 22

Academic Average 15 > 21

Background

Newly graduating Chemistry Major 3.93 GPA.

Materials Used

• DAT Bootcamp- I used Bootcamp for three months. Honestly, these three months were studying only science sections. I was so weak in biology and organic that I felt I didn’t need to consume my time with reading and math. I did use the PAT generators for a bit, and they seemed helpful. My favorite part of Bootcamp is the Bio bites and organic reaction bites. The notes on Bootcamp were my main biology notes. I used the high yield word document notes, and they are more than enough. Bootcamp has a more advanced notes section, which I utilized for a bit until realizing they were way more than needed. I do not however like bootcamp’s practice tests. They just seem outdated, and you will understand what that means when you take the real DAT or any of Booster’s exams.

• Crack the DAT- I used Crack the DAT for a month. And by that, I mean I paid for a month. It is completely useless site to be frank. The notes are horrible, the extra questions are horrible, and the practice tests are unbelievably horrible. The practice exams for instance, just have some weak copy and pasted explanations to review with. I used Crack the DAT for my first attempt. I bought it again this time because there were 10 more practice exams on the site that I did not use last time. These last 10 of the 20 tests are so unbelievably hard it is insane. I would never recommend this source to anyone.

• DAT Booster- I used Booster for a month. The Feralis notes are great, and their practice exams are fantastic. The exams seem very updated and ask relevant questions. Many people say they see many repeat questions on their exam from booster. Unfortunately, I did not have this luxury. However, the number of questions asked about each topic on the real DAT was proportional to booster’s exams. I would recommend, after taking all the practice exams, that you get to the point where you can make 100% on each exam in case you do see repeat questions. If you learn the explanations from each practice test, you will do well. My complaint on Booster is the lack of practice questions. Although the practice questions they do have are great and relevant, they do not have the shear quantity that Bootcamp provides.

• Chad’s Prep- Honestly, I don’t see the hype with Chad. I think his site is worth buying if you really struggle on a certain topic such as reactions, but I don’t think it is essential. His practice exams are not representative of the real exam, but like I said, this source should be used if you struggle in an area and need extra help. I did not watch all the videos, but I did all the quizzes.

• Math Destroyer 2021- I personally believe this book is essential. I used Math destroyer about a month out from my test. For learning all the necessary material, this should be utilized. Do not try to use this as a timed testing source. It will only stress you out. The questions are much harder.

• DAT Destroyer 2021- I don’t have much to say on this. I used it for about 100 questions on each subject before stopping. It is very dense. If I had to take the DAT again, which I hope I won’t, I would do the whole book. I think this book if used properly could really drive home the information.

• Test day and each Subject
  • Perceptual Ability- I used Bootcamp generators for about 2 weeks and did 4 of Boosters practice exams. That is all I did for this section. I was scoring 19’s on Booster exams. The real DAT was much easier. I had time left to review.

• Quantitative Reasoning- This is how I studied: Took notes on math videos on DAT booster, did all of math destroyer, and then took booster exams. I was disappointed with my score on real DAT. On Booster, I was making 23-24 on the practice exams and only made a 20 on real thing. I’m not sure why, it didn’t seem like any new information. I wish I would have spent more time on this subject. You should shoot for a 25+ in this subject I believe. If I had to retake it, I would spend a lot more time.

• Reading Comprehension- I was never great on this subject. I only used Booster for this. I made 17-19 on Booster. The real DAT seems to make the answer stick out easier than Booster.
  • Biology- I did not use ANKI. I used Bootcamp’s high yield notes and bio bites. I used Boosters question banks. I think the best biology learning I did was through reviewing Booster’s practice exams. Those exams’ explanations may really have all you need. The bio bites on bootcamp are also super helpful for learning, but they are much more detailed than needed. Topics that I struggled in, I made flash cards. I was making 18-20 with one 21 on Booster exams.

• General Chemistry- I had a very strong background in chemistry given my major in undergrad. The best study tool I used for this subject was Booster’s exams. The best advice I have on this section is to not forget the basics (solubility, electron affinity trends, size, properties, etc..). I was scoring 20-22’s on Booster’s exams.

• Organic Chemistry- I can’t stress enough how helpful Bootcamp’s reaction bites are. Booster only has a quiz that has all the different reactions in it. Bootcamp has individual quizzes for each type of reaction. Following the same trend as other subjects, Booster’s tests were great for learning. I am disappointed in this score on my real DAT though. I was making 23-25 on my practice exams on Booster. This section on my DAT through me for a loop because there were many questions asked like biology questions. I think organic was the only section on Chad’s prep that I benefited from. His quizzes on reactions really are helpful; However, you can get all the information you need on Booster or Bootcamp.

• Best Source and Overall
  • Everyone is different, but here is my opinion.
  • 1. For math, math destroyer is essential. Although I didn’t score as high as I wanted, I think this book is why I improved three points. I know studying gets expensive for this test, but I would advise to try to get a copy. Whether its used or not. I have a 2021 copy and borrowed a friend’s 2018 copy because I figured it would be different questions. It is not. Get an old version if you must. This book WILL improve your quantitative reasoning score.
  • 2. Don’t buy Crack the DAT, just don’t.
  • 3. I would only recommend Chad’s prep if you needed the extra help. It can be helpful, but it is not necessary.

• Bootcamp vs Booster

• Simply put, if you can afford it, get both. Reason being, I think Bootcamp is better for learning material and Booster is better for testing material. I understand not everyone can afford both, but I think you need at least one of them. If I could only use one, it would be Booster. The exams really make up for their lack of practice questions. Also, Booster is going to be improving their question banks, and when they have done that, they will be all you need for studying! If you can get both, get Bootcamp first to learn and Booster second to test.

• Finally
  • This test is hard. That is no secret. But if you put in the time, you will be rewarded. Everyone can do well if they put in the effort. Don’t give up if you do bad on your first or second DAT. Just try again. I made the mistake of doubting myself after my first scores while my friends were making 21+ on theirs. That really hurt my pride for a bit. I just had to pick myself up and study. I studied for months. 5-6 months. I stretched it out and really hit it the hardest the last three months. There were nights where I would stay up studying until the sun came up. There were nights where I would stare at the ceiling in bed at 2 AM and decide to go review practice exams and study. My life has been obsessed with this test. People are going to tell you that you need to relax and enjoy yourself, but I believe the time to do that will be after you score high. I studied Monday through Saturday with flash card review on Sundays. I didn’t hang out with friends, and I didn’t watch TV. If I wanted to sit in bed a relax, I watched YouTube biology and chemistry videos. How I studied probably isn’t for everyone. But I believe hard work gets results. I hated missing out on fun times, but that does not matter anymore. Put in the effort, push yourself, and don’t worry about what anyone else is scoring.

• You can do it,

• Hunter

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• both dat scores screenshot.png
    both dat scores screenshot.png
    521.8 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: 1 user