Dartmouth vs. Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybedoctormaybehomeless

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in a competitive specialty, and I’ve heard going to the most prestigious school will help. Haven’t received the financial aid package from Dartmouth yet, but it probably won’t be close to Hofstra. Both schools are P/F. Also have never lived in a rural setting before, but I don’t necessarily think I will hate it.

Dartmouth Pros
  • Prestige - higher residency director rating
  • More established
  • Optional lectures
  • More relaxed feel
  • Clerkships around the country
  • Better connections
Dartmouth Cons
  • Expensive tuition
  • Far from home/support system
  • Weather
Hofstra Pros
  • Around $200k cheaper (scholarship)
  • Close to home
  • More supportive faculty
  • No dissections in anatomy
Hofstra Cons
  • Newer school
  • Mandatory class
  • Essay-based exams

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly not much to go on. like you said Financially Hofstra will be your best bet most likely but it really depends on where you think you’ll “fit” or where you think you’ll be happiest med school is hard so you’ll need to be ok with where you end up

Honestly not much to go on. like you said Financially Hofstra will be your best bet most likely but it really depends on where you think you’ll “fit” or where you think you’ll be happiest med school is hard so you’ll need to be ok with where you end up

This is what is making the decision so difficult for me haha. I got very good vibes from both schools and feel that I would fit in well with the community at both. With that being said, Hofstra is in an area that I am familiar with and is close to home, but I do think I would be happy at Dartmouth as well.

Do you think the $200k difference would outweigh the difference in reputation and connections I would make at Dartmouth (considering I want to enter a competitive specialty)? I also like the curriculum at Dartmouth better and think optional lectures would make my life easier.

This is what is making the decision so difficult for me haha. I got very good vibes from both schools and feel that I would fit in well with the community at both. With that being said, Hofstra is in an area that I am familiar with and is close to home, but I do think I would be happy at Dartmouth as well.

Do you think the $200k difference would outweigh the difference in reputation and connections I would make at Dartmouth (considering I want to enter a competitive specialty)? I also like the curriculum at Dartmouth better and think optional lectures would make my life easier.

That is a massive COA difference. Having support systems nearby is also huge, a lot of people underestimate how nice it is to be able to go home when you need to. Your goals would be achievable at both schools provided you work hard, so get too caught up with the reputation/prestige factor - outside of T10, arguably T20, it really doesn’t matter. Fit, on the other hand, is a completely different question for which taking on the debt if you don’t see yourself being happy at Hofstra is a reasonable decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

That’s a really tough question. If you fit well at both schools and want to be closer to family then Hofstra but if you want to be away from family and are ok with that and willing to spend more money then Dartmouth. I’m already away from my family as an older applicant so I don’t have the problem moving even further away but it would be nice to see them more often. Did you go to both second look weekends?

Dartmouth is a better school, no doubt, but 200k before interest is massive. Dartmouth is still mid tier, and frankly I dont believe one mid tier is worth 200k more than another.

Don’t take this as being coarse, but support system + $200k less makes it a no brainer. Take the money and run my friend.

Reactions: 1 users
100% Hofstra... You will get to where you want to go with either of those schools except one option saves you 200k + interest with loans.

Reactions: 1 user