Dartmouth-Hitchcock vs Boston Medical Center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmiSansNom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wondering if someone had input regarding these two institutions and which is a better program. Dartmouth is Ivy League and a fairly large NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, but downside is it's location probably (at least from what I hear). Boston University is in a very good location, but the downside is that it's not Ivy League and is not an NCI-designated CCC (would that have a big impact?) I know Boston Medical Center has good research facilities but I'm wondering why it's still not NCI-designated. Is it because there's already the Harvard program in Boston? Your inputs on which of these programs I should rank higher would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, just wondering if someone had input regarding these two institutions and which is a better program. Dartmouth is Ivy League and a fairly large NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, but downside is it's location probably (at least from what I hear). Boston University is in a very good location, but the downside is that it's not Ivy League and is not an NCI-designated CCC (would that have a big impact?) I know Boston Medical Center has good research facilities but I'm wondering why it's still not NCI-designated. Is it because there's already the Harvard program in Boston? Your inputs on which of these programs I should rank higher would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Don't have a dog in this fight. Just going to say that almost every branded program in NYC is NCI designated (MSKCC, Columbia, NYU, etc) so it's not as if there is some limitation based on proximity to Harvard/Boston.

What matters more to you?
Are you really into research and know you want to be at an academic institution and producing a lot of research?
I honestly don't know how much the NCI designation matters as a fellow, unless you planing on (and capable of) getting involved IN fellowship.
Are your surroundings really important? Lebanon is REALLY secluded and TERRIBLE winters (for like a good 8 months)... is that something you'd be OK with for 3 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have a dog in this fight. Just going to say that almost every branded program in NYC is NCI designated (MSKCC, Columbia, NYU, etc) so it's not as if there is some limitation based on proximity to Harvard/Boston.
Thank you. Yes, that's true. Thank you for your input.

What matters more to you?
Are you really into research and know you want to be at an academic institution and producing a lot of research?
I honestly don't know how much the NCI designation matters as a fellow, unless you planing on (and capable of) getting involved IN fellowship.
Are your surroundings really important? Lebanon is REALLY secluded and TERRIBLE winters (for like a good 8 months)... is that something you'd be OK with for 3 years?
Thank you for your input. I am not planning on going heavily into research or into pure academics. I would like to be at a teaching institution but focus mainly on clinical oncology with some teaching. Location matters to me to a reasonable extent. I know and have lived in Boston and like it. I haven't lived in Lebanon to really know how it's like, apart from just hearsay that it is a small rural town with nothing much to do outside of work. In terms of winters, Boston has severe winters too (which I can manage), but sounds like the severity of Lebanon's winters is higher. I guess my question would be - would choosing Boston Medical Center over Dartmouth just for the location affect the quality of my training (and consequently, my career opportunities) in the short term or in the long run?

Hmmm.. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help. Maybe check out where graduates from both programs have gone on to practice? I can't imagine the education at BMC being inferior to Dartmouth in terms of clinical oncology. If anything, it might be a little more because there's at least diversity in the patient population.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help. Maybe check out where graduates from both programs have gone on to practice? I can't imagine the education at BMC being inferior to Dartmouth in terms of clinical oncology. If anything, it might be a little more because there's at least diversity in the patient population.
Thank you. Appreciate it.

Have you interviewed at any of them? What was your impression?

Have you interviewed at any of them? What was your impression?
Thank you for responding. I am yet to interview at these places. I will hopefully be able to make a decision after I interview, but I just wanted to know what the general consensus was, if there is one.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for responding. I am yet to interview at these places. I will hopefully be able to make a decision after I interview, but I just wanted to know what the general consensus was, if there is one.
The consensus is that you should choose the best program for you.

I'd be happy to compare impressions after interviews! Good luck!