Damn Hazmat!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the HAZMAT awareness exam the second time...and failed...geez this is getting on my last damn nerve! any tips on passing the HAZMAT exam???????? I'm having trouble with the practical part....and I need the NPQ certification or I fail my firefighter class!!!!!!! :scared: I basically screw up on the part where you hafta list 2 reasons to confirm a substance is a hazerdous material, etc.

NEED SOME HELP FAST!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your instructor. I have never known anyone to have a problem with the HazMat awareness exam. Its pretty much common sense.
Know how bad stuff is labeled
Always be on the look out for bad stuff (even if it isn't labeled)
Know how to read placards to ID the bad stuff using the orange book
Know who to read an MSDS and know where they are keep at your facility
Keep yourself and other people far away from the bad stuff
Know how to notify the people who take care of the bad stuff that their services are needed.

beanbean said:
Talk to your instructor. I have never known anyone to have a problem with the HazMat awareness exam. Its pretty much common sense.
Know how bad stuff is labeled
Always be on the look out for bad stuff (even if it isn't labeled)
Know how to read placards to ID the bad stuff using the orange book
Know who to read an MSDS and know where they are keep at your facility
Keep yourself and other people far away from the bad stuff
Know how to notify the people who take care of the bad stuff that their services are needed.

Yeah. The only question I recall was that corrosive tanker trucks have external bands to reinfoirce the thing. Of course, that wasn't covered anywhere in the class.

And don't forget the rule of thumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Rule Of Thumb Does Not Apply(can't Cover Whole Scene With Tip Of Thumb) Apply Rule Of Foot: Hop In Nearest Vehicle, Drive As Fast As Possible Until Out Of Gas, Then Run Until You Fall Over

flighterdoc said:
And don't forget the rule of thumb.

SCENE SAFETY, SCENE SAFETY SCENE SAFETY?

Big Papa said:
SCENE SAFETY, SCENE SAFETY SCENE SAFETY?

Nope.

Stick out your arm, and try to cover the scene with your thumb. If you can, YOU'RE TOO DAMNED CLOSE.

flighterdoc said:
Nope.

Stick out your arm, and try to cover the scene with your thumb. If you can, YOU'RE TOO DAMNED CLOSE.

ehhh..its like scene safety, but thats a damn good rule that I knew nothing about. Thanks!

Big Papa said:
ehhh..its like scene safety, but thats a damn good rule that I knew nothing about. Thanks!

LOL.

The other important rule is the binocular rule: If you can just barely make out the hazmat placard with a pair of binoculars, you're still to close - move back and get a bigger set of binoculars.

Got to watch out for that triethylmethylreallybad****

flighterdoc said:
LOL.

The other important rule is the binocular rule: If you can just barely make out the hazmat placard with a pair of binoculars, you're still to close - move back and get a bigger set of binoculars.

Also a good rule that I knew nothing about, maybe I should get into one of these hazmat classes...thanks again!

flighterdoc said:
LOL.

also a good rule for avoiding ethylmethyleatyourfaceoff. ;)