D1- What branch should I apply to? Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1chance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I take my time when making important decisions, So I have been considering joining the military for quite a while now. I'm a D1 in my second quarter and I talked to army and navy recruiters quite extensively last quarter but never got started on the paperwork. Now I have firmly decided that a military career is what I would like.

Wondering first of all, hypothetically, if i start paperwork now and work hard, what branch might get me in the fastest (each quarter i go without applying is one less they pay for).

I am wanting the 4 year and hope to get the 20k bonus, is this feasible at this point? I was told it was by recruiters, but i take everything with a grain of salt from them.

My last question, I am Seventh-Day Adventist and don't mind seeing patients on Saturdays, but prefer that it's relatively infrequent and for necessary dental care, instead of just every saturday for....who knows what. I don't really know what a dentist's schedule is like in the military. I am wondering how much work can i be expected to do on Saturdays? I don't mind working all the time on Sundays, but I realize that the military has their own agenda.

Recruiters say the Saturday thing isn't a problem, but again, I want to ask actual dentists.

Members don't see this ad.

Navy or Air Force are the two programs that you want to look at.

Do 3 years and save the 4th year as a bargaining chip later. They may offer signing bonuses for dentists that are higher, you may use it as leverage to get a station you want or possibly for a specialty slot. Either way, it is worth more than 20k to have that year up for grabs. The discrepancy between military pay and what you could make in civilian life will be much more than 20k after 4 years (residency + 3 years of service).

Thanks for the reply, That's probably a good idea. I just sent in my first paperwork and talked to my navy recruiter. He said due to high demand he would probably not be able to get me in until this October. If I understood you right, there is definitely no sign on bonus for 3 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
No bonus for 3 years...sucks.

October is no biggie. Although, he could be just saying that to light a fire under your ass. He wants you in and the paperwork signed asap. If its true, you just lose stipend for the few months you weren't sworn in for. It is pro-rated though, so if you get in Oct. 15, you will get half the pay for the month.

If you want to get in quick, do HPSC. That is the way I would go, if your school is cheap.

Thanks for the reply, That's probably a good idea. I just sent in my first paperwork and talked to my navy recruiter. He said due to high demand he would probably not be able to get me in until this October. If I understood you right, there is definitely no sign on bonus for 3 years?

It is not like there is no bonus for 3 years. Just Critical Skills Accession Bonus (CSAB) has one catch: If you take bonus you will be required to serve on active duty for four years.

So if you take bonus and sign get into three years program, you will be required to serve 4 years. And as Regmata wrote "The discrepancy between military pay and what you could make in civilian life will be much more than 20k after 4 years" (GPR or AEGD residency + 3 years of service). GPR or 1 year AEGD residency does not count towards your payback time.

Depending on the cost of your school, 3 vs 4 year scholarship is much more than 20k. It's Tuition + books + fees + stipend which can easily be ~$80k not to mention any bonus you may be able to get so...~$100k.

Another way of looking at it, that's another $60-80k you have to pay back out of your own pocket by taking a 3 year instead of a 4 year. Start adding interest and it's even more. I'd rather take the 4 year and be that much closer to debt free when my comittment is up. Just my opinion.

Since no one else has spoken up for the Army, let me jump in. From what I understand, the recruiters can do partial year scholarships (i.e. a 3.5 yr scholarship etc). There are few guys on active duty on this forum that you should talk to, or read up on (kmower, umkdds) to get pros and cons of the army. All I can say is that they have been real good to me so far, and I am looking forward to serving in the Army.

Thanks for all the input, I will try looking into the army. I definitely wanted the 4 year and definitely want to be in the service. The disciplined lifestyle actually appeals to me.