D1 thread advice for specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent222hasdf

Reaction score
Hello! I was accepted to dental school this cycle. I was wondering if there were any helpful threads for incoming D1s on tips on what we would need to do to specialize, and I guess tips, in general, to be successful.
Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what specialty you want to pursue

Hello! I was accepted to dental school this cycle. I was wondering if there were any helpful threads for incoming D1s on tips on what we would need to do to specialize, and I guess tips, in general, to be successful.
Thank you so much.
keep your grades as HIGH as possible. That is the single most important tip I can think of.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much.
Don't go into D1 convinced you are going to specialize. Get through dental school. Practice as a GP for a few years after dental school. Then if you still want to specialize you will know exactly what you want to be doing. That's the way I see it, but there are a ton of gunners during school who get set on a specialty before they even pick up a hand piece and are very successful getting into specialty straight out of school gunning for it from day 1, but I just don't think this is the best route for overall job satisfaction/success down the road.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't go into D1 convinced you are going to specialize. Get through dental school. Practice as a GP for a few years after dental school. Then if you still want to specialize you will know exactly what you want to be doing. That's the way I see it, but there are a ton of gunners during school who get set on a specialty before they even pick up a hand piece and are very successful getting into specialty straight out of school gunning for it from day 1, but I just don't think this is the best route for overall job satisfaction/success down the road.
I think this is true for endo, some ortho and peds, but how can someone work as a GP and know they want to do anesthesiology, OMS, orofacial pain?

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the first sentence here...always keep your options open when you're starting. Going out and practicing as a "GP" for a few years isn't a good idea in my opinion. You get out of touch with doing externships and having the ability to go visit programs for different specialities while you're in school. If you get out and practice for a few years as a GP...you're more or less going to be doing bread and butter GP procedures...sure you can do some endo, basic oral surgery, some ortho, some implants, etc....but you won't know you want to do as a GP because you aren't getting the training, experience, nor the backing from faculty and staff that you would be if you were.

Not only do you get away from the academic setting going into PP as a GP...you start making decent money and are able to afford things and pay loans back. If you do this for a few years you start to get accustomed to a certain lifestyle, going back to being a resident if you do make a salary its going to be a fraction of what you're making as a GP in PP and your work hours could be drastically different depending on the specialty you choose.

I think you should work as hard as you can to keep your grades up, maintain a high rank in your class, and learn as much as you can. You should gravitate towards a specialty if you love it enough. You honestly may find yourself liking many different procedures and stick to doing general. Keep asking questions, reaching out to faculty and get as much experience as you can. Thats how you will figure out what you really want to do.

Good luck!

I agree with the first sentence here...always keep your options open when you're starting. Going out and practicing as a "GP" for a few years isn't a good idea in my opinion. You get out of touch with doing externships and having the ability to go visit programs for different specialities while you're in school. If you get out and practice for a few years as a GP...you're more or less going to be doing bread and butter GP procedures...sure you can do some endo, basic oral surgery, some ortho, some implants, etc....but you won't know you want to do as a GP because you aren't getting the training, experience, nor the backing from faculty and staff that you would be if you were.

Not only do you get away from the academic setting going into PP as a GP...you start making decent money and are able to afford things and pay loans back. If you do this for a few years you start to get accustomed to a certain lifestyle, going back to being a resident if you do make a salary its going to be a fraction of what you're making as a GP in PP and your work hours could be drastically different depending on the specialty you choose.

I think you should work as hard as you can to keep your grades up, maintain a high rank in your class, and learn as much as you can. You should gravitate towards a specialty if you love it enough. You honestly may find yourself liking many different procedures and stick to doing general. Keep asking questions, reaching out to faculty and get as much experience as you can. Thats how you will figure out what you really want to do.

Good luck!
I think the lifestyle change is HUGE. When in dental school if you have crappy roadside furniture, and get a mild upgrade in residency, your expectations are still set low. If you start bringing in a real check every month as a GP and suddenly that goes away in residency and you can't get chipotle several times a week well that's going to be a sad time.

This is awful advice. Also, ironic that you never prepped a tooth before going into dental school either.

This is awful advice. Also, ironic that you never prepped a tooth before going into dental school either.
This actually emphasizes my point. If I discovered during dental school or practice as a general dentist that I hated doing crown preps well then atleast as a general dentist that is only one small part of what I will be doing day to day. On the other hand, if you invested years to get into oral surgery and realize you don’t like extracting teeth or years to get into endo and you don’t like doing root canals then you are kinda SOL at that point.

This actually emphasizes my point. If I discovered during dental school or practice as a general dentist that I hated doing crown preps well then atleast as a general dentist that is only one small part of what I will be doing day to day. On the other hand, if you invested years to get into oral surgery and realize you don’t like extracting teeth or years to get into endo and you don’t like doing root canals then you are kinda SOL at that point.
If you go into OMFS and bored of teeth you can pivot into a bunch of different fellowships. Endo you’ll make enough to work 2-3 days a week.

Speaking in generalities it is not easy to get into ortho or OS if you are a few years removed from the school setting.

Honestly, its about drive and about power. Be sure to stay hungry, and devour.

You should also put in the work and hours, and take what’s ours.

Last edited:
  • Haha